Boomerang III or Boss RC-30?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SpiderWeb, Jul 2, 2012.

1. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

I have read several threads with great information on each of these loopers. I have been ready to pull the trigger on the Boss RC-30 a couple of times, but then I started to read about the Boomerang III. I'm hoping that I can solicit some information here that would help me to decide which way to go...

2. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

I have an RC 50 and a Boomerang III (brand new with it) - My initial thoughts are with the boomerang if you are going to use it live "on the fly". You cannot store loops or tracks on the rang though.

The RC-50 (or 30) will give you a ton of time to save tracks (I have one piece I play that has chicadeas I recorded in my backyard in September in it) - The Boss has it hands down in that department. I do have some trouble using the RC for synchonization with a drum machine however, and it is extremely frustrating.

The rang is much more intuitive, and you can do alot with a smaller footprint, but you have to erase everything before you can go on to your next piece. Easy enough to do though.

Right now, I am all about the Boomerang if I had to choose between the two.

Good luck on your quest, and make it a fun journey.

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Tele-Meister

Rang III. Best looper out there.

4. teleup

teleup Tele-Holic

long time looper user myself, go with the rang III the sound quality is steller!

5. SpiderWeb

Thank you everybody, I really appreciate your input and advice. I'm not at the point where I'm playing out, but I'm getting there. At the moment I play with friends, family etc. I guess I'm looking for a looper to use at home and while jamming. More than anything I'm looking for something that's intuitive, very easy to use. I also want a looper that I can grow into, as I don't want to have to sell one and look to buy another one anytime in the near future. I played around with a Jamman Solo and found it difficult to understand. Probably just me, but I watched a couple of videos of people using the Boomerang, and it looked like the ticket in that respect. The lack of a memory card worries me, because I can see myself wanting to save loops that I create. Maybe I need to wait for a Bommerang IV!

6. eddie knuckles

I just got the III - If there is a IV next month, I'll be p*&^%$ off!

hee -hee

you can learn and grow with either, BUT I do find the rang interface easier to navigate. No click track, just tap and play when you start, than tap when your progression or line is done.

I don't know how much internal memory is in the Rang, but so far so good. It will also help you to replicate smooth loop transitions with more practice.

7. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I have been looking at these Rang III's for a while now....I think that's the route I may be taking. I want the user friendliness for live, and from all the reviews I've seen it seems to be favoured the most in this area

8. SpiderWeb

I'm getting the same impression. Aren't you concerned about not being able to save anything?

9. eddie knuckles

You can save and use what you play while you are playing, and doesn't that matter most anyway? I can stack and layer to my heart's delight during a given moment.

You must erase your song before you go to the next to continue to use it though.

10. SpiderWeb

Absolutely that is what matters most. I can just see the benefit of being able to save those all too rare brilliant moments. I'm just conflicted, the Boomerang looks like it would be easy to use and much more what I'm looking for...

11. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

The real decision is which do you want the most? If you are leaning more towards having the pre-recorded loops at your disposal, not to mention backing them up on your laptop, then the choice is obvious. I tend to prefer a very natural live off the floor and improvisational approach which is why I am leaning toward the the Rang, but that's me

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.