books you didn't finish

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The Stand
i couldn't stand to finish it- with all the epic-ness of it, it simply collapsed under it's own weight

King is one of those "emperor has no clothes" writers to me.
He used to be my fave

The Shining is still an absolute masterpiece

mycroftxxx

Tele-Meister
Mervyn Peake, Titus Groan (first book in the Gormenghast trilogy). I’ve heard over and over that it rivals Lord of the Rings for its scope, but I can’t get more than about fifty pages into it before my eyes glaze over. Obviously, if I can’t get through the first book, I’m not getting through the other two.

I’ve also had a hard time with Neal Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle; I forced myself to finish Quicksilver, but haven’t had the gumption to tackle The Confusion yet. Yet some other Stephenson novels (especially Anathem) are favorites. Go figure.

And I loved The Silmarillion, along with LotR and The Hobbit.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I was forced to read The Hobbit in a literature class years ago. When I hated it with the heat of a thousand suns, I was told I needed to buckle down and read the Lord of the Rings books, in order to appreciate The Hobbit.

They lied. Those books sucked too. I didn’t make it halfway through the first book.

I later figured out I don’t like that type of fantasy literature. I do like gothic fantasy/fiction, like the Modern Prometheus (Frankenstein), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the works of Poe, etc.

I finished Catcher In The Rye, because I kept thinking something would happen. It didn’t. The idiot that shot John Lennon said he was inspired by that book to do so; I was vaguely inspired to shoot the guy who recommended I read it and JD Salinger for writing it.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
The Mosquito Coast by Paul
Theroux. Horrible. Unreadable.

also pro tip, if your kid has to read this trash for school don’t just watch the movie, the end is completely different.

I cannot understate this. When I’m drawing my last breath this book will be the hours I wish back.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
Neuromancer - William Gibson.

Love the genre, love the spin offs, love the films - started the book about 10 times, never got past the first few chapters.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
I was forced to read The Hobbit in a literature class years ago. When I hated it with the heat of a thousand suns, I was told I needed to buckle down and read the Lord of the Rings books, in order to appreciate The Hobbit.

They lied. Those books sucked too. I didn’t make it halfway through the first book.

I later figured out I don’t like that type of fantasy literature. I do like gothic fantasy/fiction, like the Modern Prometheus (Frankenstein), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the works of Poe, etc.

I finished Catcher In The Rye, because I kept thinking something would happen. It didn’t. The idiot that shot John Lennon said he was inspired by that book to do so; I was vaguely inspired to shoot the guy who recommended I read it and JD Salinger for writing it.
I liked the catcher in the rye. It was mandatory in my english class though.

edit i don't think i went as far as the first half of the lord of the rings.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
A Storm of Swords. Loved the first book, liked the second, but this one ground to a screeching halt after about 400 pages. I've tried about 5 times to plow through it, but I haven't succeeded.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Vonnegut. I had to do papers on that crap twice. I'd get a chapter in and just feel like I was drowning.

Many of the "required reading masters" left me cold. Joyce, Dosty-russianguy...Shakespeare (though I enjoyed the sonnets). Forced reading and explication to standards drove me out of a degree in English Lit. I shall be forever grateful!

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Usual suspects: Lord of the Rings (60% done), War & Peace (25%). Great books, just drifted away.

GRRM's first Thrones book, I got maybe 70% through and just put it down laughing. Great stories, just dreadfully awkward prose and dialogue. Should've seen that finale coming.

Blood Meridian
and The Crossing though, about 5x each and everything else by Cormac at least once. The majority of Steinbeck and Sinclair Lewis.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I'm on my nth attempt with Joyce's Ulysses but taking it one chapter at a time, supplementing with audio and study notes because I'm determined it won't beat me.

Every Dan Brown book that Mrs K reads has been attempted by me but launched across the room within an hour.

Talking of which, I stood on a Dan Brown book once and had to wipe it off my shoes with some dog mess.