1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Robert H., May 8, 2020.

1. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I enjoyed the account of Shackleton. There's also a film based on it starring Kenneth Branagh.

Other good reading I can recommend is Pierre Berton's book about the exploration of the other end of the earth: - The Arctic Grail: The Quest for the North West Passage and the North Pole, 1818-1909.

Can you tell I like history?

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm reading this right now:

[​IMG]

About a third way into it, liking is so far.

My daughter is raving about "Sapiens" but I haven't found a copy yet.

Mjark likes this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I havent started the Andromeda strain part #2

Little nervous

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

One Second After. It’s about the aftermath of an EMP attack on the east coast of the US. Set in NC mountain towns.

5. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

The Andromeda Strain by Micheal Crichton (seems appropriate due to the pandemic).

Attached Files:

• as.jpg
      as.jpg
      File size:
      156 KB
      Views:
  6. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

"The Rim of Morning" Two Tales of Cosmic Horror, by William Sloane.

Really good stuff. And one more. Dicken's "Great Expectations." Rereading now. Might be my favorite work of fiction ever.

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Midnight In The Garden of Good And Evil - by John Berendt

[​IMG]

8. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I second this. Bryson is amazingly adept at blending researched information and belly-laugh comedy.
    “The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid,” “ A Walk In the Woods,” and “Mother Tongue” are all wonderful.

Somebody mentioned “To Kill A Mockingbird.” I just finished “Furious Hours” by Casey Cep, which gives a look into Harper Lee’s life, a string of possible murders in the south, and why Lee never publishes another book (“Go Set A Watchman” doesn’t count, in my opinion.)

9. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

I will not go bonkers, I will not go bonkers:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm about finished reading Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress. I suggest Yuval Noah Harari's Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.

These are great in any circumstance but really good now. You'll have to think across lines and boundaries where you might sit most of the time. You can follow references to know the quality in the books. Pinker keeps you very aware of common logical fallacies and cognitive biases. Being aware of the negativity bias and availability heuristic are important right now.

I've been in this community long enough to know some might enjoy these two, and some should just read them. For me they were or are slow reads because really good tangents that were valuable - additional learning and confirming facts.

11. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

The Prague Cemetery, by Umberto Eco.

Mjark likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The Plague by Albert Camus

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson

14. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Holic

The Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth by Commander Chris Hadfield is brilliant, and very funny too.

I've just read the whole of the Rivers Of London series by Ben Aaronovitch, which I loved. I'm not sure if it would mean so much to those of you in the States, as it has quite a British feel to it, but you may love it.

15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Holic

Sapiens is very good. As it's a right-of-centre narrative I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it but I loved it.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The Good Book

17. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

Music: A Subversive History by Ted Gioia

18. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm on the last of a five book series right now by CJ Sansom. Matthew Shardlake a hunchback Tudor England lawyer survives his association with Thomas Cromwell and solves gruesome murders.

41144 likes this.
  19. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

For anyone doubting that we still live in anything other than libertine democracies ... try Victor Serge about the Totalitarian Soviet era, especially his most well known book - The case of Comrade Tulayev.

Or ... one of my all time favourite books Dee Brown's "... Bury my heart at Wounded Knee"

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

For the runner/athlete...Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Ever Seen by Christopher Mc Dougall---try to stop yourself from running barefoot after reading this.

For the runner/athlete with special ops flavor...Natural Born Heroes: Mastering the Lost Secrets of Strength and Endurance by Christopher McDougall. Read this after Born to Run.

Leadership and history with special operations flavor...The Journey of Crazy Horse by Joseph Marshall.

Leadership, philosophy, and sci-fi action...Starship Troopers by Robert Heilein. Forget the movie...this one has been on the U.S. Navy's reading list for decades.

Leadership, philosophy, history, action...The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. A "best" in Civil War books...read this and then visit Gettysburg---so much of the battle falls into place.

Philosophy, fun, just because...Up Till Now: The Autobiography by William Shatner. Shatner is an interesting guy.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Dano-caster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.