Boogie lovers dept.

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Big John, Jun 14, 2009.

1. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

A Mark V will handle any genre.

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Platefire, thanks for the advice - pulled the chassis and cleaned the connectors. Also bent the prongs on the board out just a tad for better contact inside the plugs. Seems to have done the job as I played for a couple of hours without the reverb cutting out at all - which is awesome! I was suspecting a bad IC chip in the reverb driver circuit; thankfully looks like I was wrong.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, it will. Those gain knobs go down just as well as they go up, and there is a ton of cool sounds in all three channels when you run them cleaner.

4. ReIgnition

ReIgnition Tele-Meister

I have a Swart but many times I forget to use it and play my Mark V for a typical 3 hour practice... switch channels play with the knobs, everything's in there. I play gospel, metal, reggae, etc...

5. Baphomark

Baphomark TDPRI Member

I bought my first Boogie a while back, and I haven't bought anything since. Right now, I'm running a Mark III purple stripe through an old Marshall JCM cab with two original 75w celestians, a greenback, and a V30. Simple pedal rig of Wah, OD, and Chorus. Killer tone

ForumRunner_20120906_234136.jpg

6. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

OK Boogie experts- Question: Which would you buy?
    Express 5:50 or a Lonestar?
    Both 1-12s
    Thanks!

7. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've never played through a Lonestar but I really like the Express series.

8. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

The Express 5:50 has been my primary amp for four years. I play rock and blues. The clean channel is equal to any amp with incredible headroom. Then there are three ranges of gain. I don't ever use the highest gain level in the music I play. The new Express Plus models have some great features added.

My friend has the Lonestar Special. The Express clean is every bit as good as the Lonestar and I think the Express has a better range of gain options. I think the Lonestar has a better rhythm/lead setup than the Express but I don't use my amp that way so it's not important to me.

Playing and hearing both I would not spend the extra money for the Lonestar.

9. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Tele-Meister

IM the same as Sax4Blues - Express5:50 again mine has been played gigged rhsd recorded on for 4 years now love it to death and its not going anywhere...

the lonestar is an amazing amp but the express is one of the most versatile amps youll find in terms on playability the two wattage settings and the choices of sounds and channels.

10. rebelwoclue

Thanks for the opinions guys. I am seeing a lot of Boogies for sale right now. Even some Mark IIB and MarkIII models.
    Any comments on best model for country cleans?

11. Frodebro

If clean is your thing, then look at the Lonestar. The Express series gain channels have a lot more drive to them than the Lonestar has, it's more of a clean-to-medium-gain amp.

12. rebelwoclue

Thanks Frodebro! I'll give one a try.

13. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You'll save some $$$ buying a Mark IIB or IIA. Both are known for their clean tones. People tend to go for the Mark IIC and after because the lead channel got thicker and more separate from the clean channel with those. Before that, the amp was built for versatility in terms of genres. Besides the rockers, many country, jazz, and blues players were very into the IIA and IIB amps.

So, if you're into the clean stuff, a used IIA or IIB would be an excellent choice, imho. Though it might be as good, the Lonestar is not any better than either of those two choices. The 60/100 watts and 5 band EQ are big pluses for cleans and knowing how to set the amp is key. I have a sheet of suggested settings which came in very handy with my IIB. The Presence knob is very effective.

I swapped my EVM12L for a Jensen C12k. Lost 10lbs on the amp and I love the sound. The only thing I don't like is that there's a *pop* when you switch between rhythm and lead channels. You learn to get around this by damping the strings just before switching. Or by just using pedals. The clean channel takes to pedals very, very well.

The II series (except for the IIC+) gets knocked by a lot of players. I have yet to hear anything but praise for mine by anyone who's heard or played through it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  14. rebelwoclue

Thanks gitapik! I appreciate the comments.

15. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

I just re-joined the club...

8 years ago I had a Mesa Subway Blues and in retrospect I loved it and regretted it.
    After trolling the forums and ebay I just pulled the trigger on a Mesa Subway Blues rehoused into a 1x12 combo. Now, I just have to wait for it to get here. :neutral:

[​IMG]

16. figerade

figerade TDPRI Member

Looks very nice Nasonm!

Three months of having the Studio .22+
    I wont need another amp ever..

Only mod I have done (not ON the amp, but FOR the amp)
    since the Effects loop is line-leveled, my friend and I modded a guitar cable
    to lower the ohm on one side into the Send...and a regular cable for the return
    and works like a Charm.....not that I use alot of effects (Chorus, Wah...wouldnt mind a Delay)
    The spring reverb...is still amazing

As much as I love VOX, I tried out (used to be my) AC15 at L&M, and just found it so flat compared to the .22+

17. Derwood

Derwood TDPRI Member

This may be a strange question, but can anyone offer opinions on a 50 caliber+ head w/ 410 cab vs a 59 Bassman RI. I like the bassman but am intrigued by the boogie. A friend described the 50+ dirty channel as overdrive rather than distortion. He thought of it as a negative, but I think of overdrive as meaning a cranked tube amp, which is the sound I really like.
    Thanks!

18. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

I dont think just any mesa can be a boogie right? A boogie is a mesa. a boogie mesa..a mesa is just a mesa and not a boogie..right? or can i have just a mesa and be a boogie too?

19. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

In Carlos' hands any Mesa will Boogie.

20. Frodebro

"Boogie" refers to the Mark series amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.