Boneyguy's Aphorism

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by boneyguy, Jul 20, 2016.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'm ripping off Larry F's 'aphorism' idea for a moment because that's what we do as musicians.....steal ideas.

So, I'm in a band with another guitar player who is, shall we say, rhythmically challenged....which is not a lot of fun to be around but I seem to be committed to this band, so....

So he was over at my house today and I was instructing him on where the stops are on this song we're working on.....he has a lot of trouble 'feeling' this sort of thing....I suggested to him to practice feeling the stops with a metronome away from the guitar....to get it into his body....to feel it.....I taught him where the stops fell in the 4/4 count....

So then tonight I got thinking about rhythm (as I often do) and how powerfully fundamental it is to everything....it is not a technique...it is not a guitar skill....it is not an instrument specific skill.....it is not even specifically a musical skill (in the typical way we think about the undertaking of making music)....and so here's my aphorism...

"Rhythm is more than a musical skill.....it is a life skill.....it permeates everything we do...how we move, talk, breathe, think and live in general.....rhythm breathes life into everything!"

Alamo and SecretSquirrel like this.
  2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, you could look at it that way in the same sense that musically some people seem to have and others don't. Of course it often works out that way in life too and you can observe that at times when you work around a decent size crowd of people.

To some the job comes fairly easy and it's fun and relatively effortless and others struggle to ever get in sync, always seem to fall behind, and often talk about how they hate their job. So yeah, it's a life skill too. The entire universe has a rhythm and either you find it or you don't.

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Here's an interesting thing I learned about feel. When I was a music store guitar teacher when I was starting out in the 1970s, I quickly learned that a new student wants to actually sound like they are playing music right off the bat. Previously, I would give them some of the worst crap that Alfred had to offer, and hope that they would stick with it for a few weeks until things started to come together.

I lucked onto something that I would teach them in the first lesson. Here it is:

C G D G
    E EFG F ED

The first 4 notes are on strings 2 and 3, and the remaining notes are on the first string until the final note, D on the second string. I've made a weak attempt at showing rhythm here, but I don't really need to explain it, as you shall see.

We didn't use any paper, I didn't tell them the note names, and I somehow managed to get them to play the rhythm right. After a few minutes, it started to come together, but didn't exactly sound like music. Until I uttered the words: plop, plop, fizz, fizz, and they were off and running. A whole new ball game. Night and day.

It wasn't that they hadn't been feeling it at first, it was that they weren't hearing it.

Anyway, keep those aphorisms coming, kids!

Chooglin59 likes this.
  4. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

There's a lot of truth in that.

Coming back to your point about practicing rhythm, I'm on the road and stuck without a guitar for about a month, so I've made 'time practice' my goal. Whatever music's happening in the background, I get busy counting and working on feel (not out loud, just in my mind).

It's been quite an eye-opener. I've got a lot of work to do, and will be spending a lot more time with the metronome when I get back to my kit.

5. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

100% with this thread.
    I'll even go further.
    Rhythm is more than a life skill, it is life.
    "Heart beatin' rhythm...."
    I naturally count time along with anything going on. If I hear a piece of music, and I can't immediately count with it, feel the pulse, it's not music to me.
    When I'm playing with a band, if I can get the drummer excited, I am doing my job.
    Life is rhythm.

boneyguy likes this.
  6. phfobric

phfobric Former Member

Rhythm is the Ground of Being (here I go skirting wiwigins). Can't stop it. I'm down with the Earth going through 2 motions; the spin ("they" say 11k rpms in the spin), and it's movement along it's orbit-line (I have no idea how fast that-away is...), and THEN you have the collective motion of the solar system through the Milky Way, and then the motion of the M/W moving through Infinite Space! And it all has a "pulse"; it better have OR WE WOULDN"T BE here. "Music of the Spheres", this Galactic Rhythm is Eternal. The galaxies themselves, dancing. So every time I picks up me guitar I can grab me just a little piece of it; playing along with the Cosmic Dance. Uh, er, sorry...back to your regularly scheduled show... got a little tangenty, there....WHOOSH!!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Teleguy61 likes this.
  7. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes it just happens!

phfobric likes this.
  8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Without the circadian rhythms of the earth, sun, and moon, not only would life cease, it would be impossible.

Life is rhythm, rhythm is life.

I'm not sure it's a skill. Having asthma doesn't mean you're unskilled at breathing... Or does it?

9. boneyguy

LOL.....I guess where my head was at when I was writing this was strictly the human role in rhythm (if that makes sense). I wasn't really thinking in the universal sense of it , which of course is fundamental to everything as you point out Jay. So when I called it a "life skill" what I was implying was that our own individual, unique rhythms are something we can become aware of and skillfully use....we can notice and change how we interact with those rhythms ...and we can notice if those rhythms serve us well and if they don't we can alter our rhythms in order to get outcomes in our lives that we may not be able to get if we simply go on rhythm autopilot, so to speak...and of course I'm talking in all aspects of our lives, not just music.....the rhythms of how we talk to our selves, how we breath, how we walk etc....these are under our control and can be used skillfully.

As regards asthma I'm an open minded guy and I've experienced and witnessed all kinds of things that don't fit into the nice packaging that the status quo thinking would have us believe...so I'm guessing in some cases asthma could be 'unskilled breathing'....it doesn't seem improbable to me since breath is as much a function and expression of our mental selves as it is of our physical selves.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  10. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I concur, and thankfully God gave me rhythm. It's like second nature to me, but I used to play with a guy that could sing great but not so good rhythm guitar. I used to call him "rhythm devil". At least he knew he struggled, but he could never get it right.

11. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

While working as a sound engineer, I once witnessed a "guitarist" play a whole song exactly one beat behind the rest of the band. To make it worse, the song had stops in it.

Fortunately, the amps on stage were quiet enough that I could drown it out (apart from during the stops when he acted as an echo). I did pass the headphones round a few nearby friends though, with that guitar's channel solo'd. None of us could believe what we were seeing/hearing.

I should point out that, having known this guitarist for many years, he wasn't doing it on purpose. He actually, and honestly thought he was playing it correctly.

12. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Our hearts pulse. Rhythm is part of our innate being.

Do we become one with our livers cause we all have them? No. Learning our personal rhythms can help identify and engage rhythms other than our own. Rhytm isn't about counting and that is what people with 'bad' rhythm focus too much on. Counting is good and all, but counting itself is more of a measurement thing.

Go sit by the highway and listen to that rhythm. Or is that too cliche? To much of a blues thing--ya know the train thang.

13. boneyguy

I'd like to think that I'm 'one' with everything that's inside me....if I'm not then a surgeon is probably required to put stuff back in me. Please, explain to me how a person cannot be 'one' with their internal organs.....or am I being too literal here....lol.

14. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

A little literal for the context. While I can dissagree with you from a personal awareness standpoint, I was attempting to covey the notion of our livers working subconsciously. Our hearts do to, but we pulse and have body rhythms. We can get in tune with that for musical benefit.

15. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

16. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

I'm just going to complicate this by saying that rhythm ''as heard" even to a critical degree, is fundamentally different from rhythm "as played". You can call that an aphorism if you want but played probably isn't the best word for this - its really how rhythm is 'done'.

I'll venture into even more complex territory and say that (in Western culture at least), that rhythm as heard can be heard or felt deeply by practically anyone - without any real imperative to do a single thing about it except 'appreciate the groove' - thats cool but if you mean to 'do' rhythm then for most of us , its not enough to just dig it.

I was in Cuba a couple of months back.
    I've never seen dancing like that en masse. Outdoor rhumba gigs where dancing is a formal and improvised form of expression and young and old are doing it. Where little kids are being taught the clavé. Where it seemed everyone from taxi drivers to restaurant waiters know and sing those songs - in tune.

I think most people know where Im going with this..

17. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Rhythm I was born with, timing I had to learn. Just like hearing when two strings are in tune.

To the OP, if your guitarist is struggling with rhythm is it just 1-2 songs, or is it all songs? I have struggled with the rhythm of some songs. Is he a new/young musician? For some it just takes time to sync themselves with the music. I do wish him luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.