Bone Nut on a Squier, Is That True?

dscottyg

Tele-Meister
The Squier Classic Vibe is marketed as having a bone nut. It doesn’t say synthetic bone or NuBone. Just bone. I have a hard time believing that they are using real bone. Is it true, and if not, how do they get away with saying it?
C3FC800C-DE83-4BCF-ABB6-39C63D41770B.jpeg

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
Bone (like horn, ivory, and other organic materials) has a distinct smell when you sand it, but that info isn't useful unless your new CV bone nut needs reshaping. I don't know how else you'd tell unless you can see the pores in the nut.

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
Bone (like horn, ivory, and other organic materials) has a distinct smell when you sand it, but that info isn't useful unless your new CV bone nut needs reshaping. I don't know how else you'd tell unless you can see the pores in the nut.
True, and the way Squier seal them in would take dynamite to remove them. Realistically, I only compared the look to a Fender bone nut 7.25, that I put on my jazzmaster. Like you mention it's the smell, when filing which reminded me of burning hair, but then I'm a 20 a day man lol.

RMLamey

TDPRI Member
Heat up the point of a needle, gently touch the nut. If it's plastic the needle will "burn" or push in a mark. If it's bone or real tusk etc, it will not.

Obviously be careful and know that your going to leave a mark if it's plastic of any type.

Zipslack

Tele-Meister
Heat up the point of a needle, gently touch the nut. If it's plastic the needle will "burn" or push in a mark. If it's bone or real tusk etc, it will not.

Obviously be careful and know that your going to leave a mark if it's plastic of any type.

And will also smell like burnt hair if bone, as opposed to burnt plastic.

RMLamey

TDPRI Member
And will also smell like burnt hair if bone, as opposed to burnt plastic.
Usually won't even start to burn if bone , the plastic will tell you immediately. This is an old trick used to find out if grips are genuine stag, bone, ivory or man made material.

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
I bought a butterscotch Squier FSR tele last week and it sure looks like bone. Bought it used from a guy that bought it new and he said he didn't change anything. And surprisingly the action that the nut is darn near perfect.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's synthetic though.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I learned about a red hot needle test on Antiques Roadshow. Apparently you just poke it into the object and see if it smells like burnt hair then it's bone.
That's all I got...

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry RM, I didn't read through all the previous posts before posting.
You said it better than I.

RMLamey

TDPRI Member
Sorry RM, I didn't read through all the previous posts before posting.
You said it better than I.

And normally the needle will immediately start to burn into the plastic, not so muck or at all on bone, natural material especially if very dense.