Bone Nut changed the sound of my instrument

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by acranford9, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

And that cuts both ways, of course. If you're convinced the nut doesn't make any difference, you'll attribute any perceived difference to something else.

I do this for a living and my job is to make people's guitars sound and play better. Just for fun, I've made "nuts" out of cardboard and compared them to bone. It's easy to work a lifter in between the strings and board, remove the nut, replace with another, and listen. You don't even have to loosen the strings, although you will have to re-tune. Use a 2nd guitar as a control, and compare tones. Compare, switch to Nub B, compare, switch back to Nut A, compare, repeat.

Suit yourself.

2. gatc

gatc Tele-Meister

I don't have any problem with engineered materials.
    "Plastic" does not necessarily mean cheap and it has the advantage of being very consistent from one production batch to another.

Saying bone is better for the nut is like saying wood is better for the neck or body.
    What kind of wood, what grade??
    I can't imagine the kind of questions we would get here if all Fender guitars were fitted with bone nut from the factory.

Just a crazy thought: if bone gives such a great tone, why not try to make bone saddles? It will definitely be fun to see the result.

3. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nor me. It's just of interest.
    That's not the same spec sheet as mine for the Baja06 141502307(60th Anniversary button) i.e.
    Unique features
    Soft V maple neck
    Knurled chrome knobs
    Custom Shop designed neck plate :)mrgreen: wow!)
    4-way + 2-way S-1 switching
    Custom Shop '69 pickups :!:
    The Bone Nut is on its part list Ref.# 4 P/N 0083675000 - which is exactly the same p/n as the AmSer07.
    I think it's been noticed before that later Bajae have synthetic nuts.

Attached Files:

4. jefrs

Many acoustic and most classical guitars do have bone saddles.

Many jazzboxes have rosewood, ebony or boxwood saddles, sometimes inset with bone, The rosewood saddle on my EPi Emperor-II is brighter than a ToM. Go figure.

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Note description that says used on Vintage Reissues, which Fender has always specified as having Bone Nuts...I really don't know why I bother with this crap ?

[​IMG]

6. jefrs

Is $6.99 more than £4 for a bone nut from Allparts?
    http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-s...nuts/bone-nuts-c-277_1_125_541_38.html?p=shop

I actually find bone easier to work than synthetics.
    I think it looks nicer.
    It's a toss-up whether it sounds any better.

I've also got one with an aluminium nut + zero fret, and another in a hard black plastic "graphite". And an Earvana which is a fairly soft grey plastic (ABS?). The ones I don't like are those hollow white plastic things because you have to adjust the base or you may cut through on the slot. I've used wood, stag antler, ramshorn and brass too. But they all work just fine.

7. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm not slammin' Cycolac. I mentioned that the "Synthetic Bone" on the CV seems pretty good. Just pointing-out that it's not really "synthetic bone." There really isn't any such thing as synthetic bone. Bone is bone and plastic is plastic. Corian would probably be closer to synthetic bone, since it's a man-made granite-like substitute used for counter tops. I have a couple nuts made from this material and it's very good for guitar nuts. Probably more expensive than the plastic materials, though. Hey, I'm fine with Cycolac. I'm sure I have it in a couple of Fenders I have, that haven't caused me any problems.

8. 92Standard

92Standard Tele-Meister

Haha.....isn't that the truth...it's amazing what you "think" you hear. Like someone said above....you change something and "think" it sounds better as it's human nature. Just like the clean car theory. Same thing after an oil change.... car sounds better, more power, greater acceleration...LOL

9. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

If you really want your axe to sound great all the way around, have a nut made out of the same material as your frets. This way, your fretted notes and open notes sound the same. Either that or install "bone" frets.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is the crux of the whole thread. I could add "maybe it is a really good piece of material".

Uh-oh.

Alarm bells going off. To me, expecting that the nut material and the saddle material should be similar makes me especially nervous on a guitar, especially on solid bodied electric guitars.

The function of the saddle down at the "business" or picking hand and down by the beloved bridge pickup is an Article of Faith to me. Until we're doing all pull offs and hammer ons, and place microphones besides the frets, and palm mute every note, the saddle is where the rubber meets the road and you cannot gum that up using "unmanly" materials.

:)

11. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

That was the PF Fliers sales pitch , wasn't it ? Maybe US Keds borrowed it .

12. jefrs

That's called a zero fret.
    I've got one, the other I had to replace with an Earvana. T-40 bass has one too, and an aluminium nut.
    There's something about them that doesn't sound quite right, plus they are impossible to adjust for action/intonation, often give fret buzz on 1st fret where the string should be just a little bit higher than over the others.

13. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

lol!

14. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You are probably right, but it worked for me! :p

15. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

Bone has the tone....BUT...only on open strings!

16. jefrs

Yes/no.

We damp the string above the fret with our flesh.
    An open on a bone nut is close to this sound, whereas a metal nut is not.

17. Adam S

Adam S Tele-Meister

I know a guy with a nut made out of his father's shin bone! It was in his ashes.

18. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

You are correct my friend. I love all my axes with the zero frets. I've yet to discover any buzzes or height problems with any in my geezer years. lol But I'm sure it happens.

19. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

I'm trying to figure out if that's really cool, or just creepy...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.