Bonamassa on Spotify

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EllroyJames, Aug 22, 2019.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Joe's not talking about himself out of some feeling of being cheated here AFAICT...

It's generalities for the musicians who are struggling.

EllroyJames likes this.
  2. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

As an economics prof, I'd love to use this example in class, but I don't know enough about the market. If there was only one streaming provider and artists did not have an option as to where to place their music, then it would be a classic monopsony (like a monopoly, but only one buyer). But there are no barriers to entry in the streaming market so new entrants could offer better terms and compete for artists. Then JB could pull music from Spotify and if enough artists do the same (and go with a service that pays better), consumers would have to choose between a more expensive service with artists they like and a cheaper one with artists they don't.

My guess is that artists want as much exposure as possible to increase demand for live shows and other merch, and that is why they suffer the low Spotify rates.

And there is another side to this. Before recorded music and amplification, all musicians made money playing small shows. Because one performer could only perform in front of a limited number of paying customers, there were lots of touring musicians. But with amplification and recordings, one performer can play live in front of 100,000 and reach millions via recordings. This squeezed a lot of musicians out of the industry. Yes, the surviving artists made a lot of money, but at the cost of fewer working musicians. Spotify does not undo this, but it does make it a heck of a lot cheaper for me to try new things. In the 80s or 90s, if you couldn't get your song on the radio, life was rough. But I now routinely try new stuff on Spotify because access is easy and doing so has zero monetary cost. I have also noticed that live show ticket prices have risen, but I rarely go to a show that is not well attended.

But this is not to say this guy who posted the video responding to JB is right. His argument is clearly meant to get artists to buy his book (which I am guessing offers advice on making money as an artist in this new economic landscape). Just because musicians made very low wages for centuries does not mean that is the natural order of things. The important question is why hasn't someone started a competing streaming service which pays artists so much better that Spotify shuts down (or raises the rates they pay).

And as another side, through ASCAP, musicians have long earned monopoly profits. For example, ASCAP went as far a suing summer camps who had kids sing popular music around campfires. Also, I remember when one country artist (Garth Brooks?) argued that it should be illegal to resell CDs, cassette tapes and Vinyl because that unfairly took money from artist's pockets. I am sure that to a lot of music lovers, there is some satisfaction in seeing the tables turn.

If anyone with more knowledge wants to school me on the industry, I can't wait to read your post!

Texicaster likes this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Well... get on tour man! Make a KILLER album that will sell!

The market OBVIOUSLY proves you can't make a living rolling out single songs.

One thing about the jam band circuit is they PLAY LIVE! You can tell they love what they do. If you just write a song, hit the studio with a bunch of pros and expect to make a living by Spotify spins...please!

Spotify should be publicity that you work off. Just like Am radio. In fact what did musicians get paid for AM radio spins?

With FB and IG and small labels and Youtube and festivals and countless live venues ANY decent musician with talent and drive should be doing ok with or without Spotify!

TEX

Asmith likes this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Is it ASCAP or the other licensing entity that busts bars and restaurants for playing music?

Back in the 80's I worked at a restaurant and we had some Grateful Dead playing and a rep confronted us. I pointed out it was a band sanctioned recording of a show and not a recorded release.... Poor guy wasn't sure how to react to that and we never saw him again!

Talk about band who did just fine without airplay or being "recording artists".... I think Dead and Co. raked in $40,000,000 in a few show this summer. Have NEVER released an album or single....

TEX

etype likes this.
  5. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

uriah1 and RLee77 like this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You could listen to them on Bandcamp. Spotify kind of sucks for lesser known bands, not that King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard are not a cult band.

Lesser known bands are bands that have only put out CDs, no vinyl.

7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Because like it or not, you need to put your music in front of as many people as possible, and streaming services have grown exponentially. And make your money with live shows.

CFFF likes this.
  8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I tapped out at 1:36, easy to see why people think he's a douche.

9. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

what a clown :rolleyes:

10. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

Just saw a Youtube Ad before my stewmac video plays - Natalie Portman demonstrate what you will learn from her Masterclass of acting.

Does the trade of artistry eventually resolve to teaching?

11. Yobeets

Yobeets TDPRI Member

I kind of just chose king gizzard because they are maybe the only active band whose new releases I anticipate and listen to immediately, without spotify I simply wouldn't be doing so. In the past peoples music choices were simple - they heard the songs that we're played on the radio or on TV and if we wanted to hear more of it we had to buy an album. The industry has changed and so have peoples listening habits - it's a good thing for both consumers and artists.

Spotify has allowed me to explore the catalogue of a range of musicians that I simply would not have listened to without it. It's turned me into a fan of jazz which is a genre I wouldn't have heard anywhere except maybe in an elevator from time to time. Spotify has rekindled the joy that I get from listening to music, discovering new music, and most importantly to me - playing music.

The amount of money that I have pumped into the music industry from buy merch, tickets, guitars, amps, vinyl, speakers, etc, is far more than I would have if Spotify hadn't existed.

I really don't know what Joe is complaining about, the dudes got millions of dollars from being a musician. Is he just greedy and wants more?

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like everything about that guy except for what he does on stage .

I could hang out and talk guitars and gear with him for hours, go out to dinner with him , and have a drink - whatever.

Seems like a tremendously nice guy and fairly self effacing.

stevemc and EllroyJames like this.
  13. Walker

Walker Tele-Afflicted

Bonamassa is lucky he's playing what he does today because if he was playing his derivative style of blues rock in the 70's, no one would've heard of him.

As far as his feelings about Spotify, I get it, but the genie's not going back into that bottle.

fasteddie42 and Bones like this.
  14. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Musicians aren't struggling because of Spotify.

They're struggling because the audience & culture has changed dramatically. Attention spans, demagoguery, working class disposable income, Joe's favorite: rampant consumerism, home entertainment options, and other factors.

You'd think a guy who mastered the act of selling out beyond what most Rappers have to would understand these things. This is a guy who calls playing vintage guitars for people "sharing," kinda like the kid who wanted you to come to his house to watch him play the newest video game was "sharing" it with you, lol.

bonamassa money gamez
    bonamassa key chainz
    joe B's mug on ya mother****in coffee

my names on your axe b****
    buyin bursts is my weekly itch
    pockets so deep blowin dumbles like i'm napalm

haters all surround me
    my strats 1960
    i gets busy bottle sweat fo yo senile grampy

gray hairs love my game
    they granchild know my name
    200 dolla tickets i don't play fo no broke mane

i fakes like i'm BB
    make faces like i'm sleezy
    mo dollars means the boomers know my tonez mo greasy

chorus
    all the player haters hatin on B's game
    they all get jealous of B's dope fame
    endorsements rollin hard like it's pourin rain

beach bob likes this.
  15. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

As goes The Gear Page, so goes TDPRI

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Verne Bunsen likes this.
  16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It's not really surprising that spotify doesn't pay well, they are a lot like uber a company raising a ton of money to be in the business of subsidizing the consumer. Spotify turned a small profit of 107 million for the first time in February after losing money for 13 years. Having said that it's still planing to lose money next year. Back in the 70's and 80's I probably spent a few thousand dollars a year on records and cd's now I can spend $120 a year and have more music available to listen to. That's great for me as a consumer but it's a lot less money to be split amongst all the people involved in making music.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I always liked him. way back.... Some artists are eclectic, erratic and different..and it is ok with me..he is great and he's got the goods in my book..
    Especially today, there are no guitar giants out there , at least keeping the instrument (guitar) , the flame alive. CD scratchers and dj's are not musicians to me..

This thread started as a issue on spotify media non payments and ended up about Joe.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    CFFF likes this.
  18. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

It seems to be a given today, if artists have the intent of making a decent living in the entertainment and music industries - many artists are diversifying for other revenue sources outside of live performances and music royalties; teaching/mentoring, paid appearances, merchandising and licensing. Pound the pavement to pay the bills.

19. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

What a cringe interview..

He's the "kardashification" (his word :lol:) of blooze rock.

Without a doubt JB is a talented guitar player, aswell as the goofiest tryhard I've ever seen.

JB key chain, JB mug, JB shirt/underwear/beanie package, JB coffee and tea...

I wish he sold some self awareness on his webstore.

20. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Joe needs a reality check not a pay cheque.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.