Bonamassa on Spotify

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EllroyJames, Aug 22, 2019.

1. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

He’s right.

2. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I agree with that he does say but we can we really expect to have the same payment for one play to one person on spotify as we get with one play to a million radio listeners?

Georox likes this.
  3. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

That's a good point. At a million people per radio play, $750 would turn into $750 million. Depends on what is the average listening audience per radio play I suppose.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

He's right in a way, artistic creativity has become devalued but he's missing some of the reasons behind it.

First, back in the 90's, music priced itself out of the market by create a lot of inferior products. Did you (or your kids) buy a CD with one hit track and 8-10 other tracks of junk for $20? Consumers got tired of that and Napster came along gave them a way to get that one hit song for free. Apple and others found a way to make money on this while paying artists a much smaller amount. Artists really got shafted by this shift although some old guard record company execs and physical music retailers got hit too. Is there a way to reverse this? Probably not, especially in the short term.

Secondly, it has become easier to produce a decent recording in a computer based home/small studio. You no longer need the expensive studio equipment that you needed in 1990. You can distribute your music yourself, either by uploading it to services yourself or by using an inexpensive publishing service like CDBaby. It's become a whole lot easier for the average singer/songwriter to record their music and get it out there. The downside is that this does create a glut of product, perhaps contributing to the devaluing.

Twelvefrets likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya, those kind of (modern) media haves bastardized the
    industry That is why we will be stuck with electronica
    pre programmed sloppy mish mash of non artistic electronica and
    other music from here on out.

6. Yobeets

Yobeets TDPRI Member

What's the alternative though? The reality is if I had to buy every King Gizzard album instead of listening to them on Spotify, I doubt I'd even know who they are.

Jerry_Mountains and Bones like this.
  7. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

What I do not understand is many artists is not happy with spotify because they get very little money. So why do they upload songs to spotify? Joe has many songs on there!

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Is spotify just a streaming music service?
    Wonder what the deal is with Iheart and pandora

9. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

I agree with him completely. I stream with Amazon Music and my wife uses Pandora, but when we discover somebody we like we go buy their albums.

Twelvefrets likes this.
  10. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

True. I suppose if Joe wants to walk the walk, he might as well join Jason Aldean and Taylor Swift who pulled their catalog(s) from spotify.

CFFF likes this.
  11. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

He's an amazing guitar player, but every time I hear Joe speak he just sounds like a whiny entitled brat.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

There are basically 2 types of streaming, radio and on demand. Streaming radio is usually advertising supported (often free to the listener) and the listener has little control over the stream content other than selecting a particular genre or artist type. On demand lets the listener pick the songs they want to listen to and is almost always subscription based. Spotify does both methods while Pandora and IHeart primarily focus on ad supported radio streaming. YouTube kind of does both but the 800 lb Google Gorilla gets away with essentially providing on demand for free.

uriah1 likes this.
  13. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

This is pretty much the case with most artists/celebrities. They’re great at what they do but a lot of the time when they speak, especially on a subject unrelated, they sound ignorant.

14. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Here’s a slightly different perspective that I stumbled on yesterday.

Yes, this guy has a book to sell. But it seems like his channel has been more than “hey, buy my book.” The other couple videos I watched seemed like good advice too.

(Not affiliated)

CFFF likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yeah. He and Joe were having a troll battle on Twitter a couple of days ago.

16. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Yeah, it’s kind of funny. It’s not like JB doesn’t understand the new music economy. His website has so much different merch. He sells strap locks for **** sake.

Straydogger likes this.
  17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Joe has a point but the reason he has his music up on Spotify is why would he leave that money on the table when it's relatively low effort to put it there? It might not be the best way to get paid but why would you not take the money? He's smart enough to know that there are people who are too cheap to buy his album(s) but will give him a spin on spotify.

He can do this and put up with it cause he already made himself a successful business model based on touring/live shows + merchandise and stuff like that. That's the point really that more musicians should strive to do what he's doing.

I don't quite understand exactly how he pulled this off when so many other musicians can't. I take it he never took an advance from a record company or something and stayed independent.

Ironically none of his albums really speak to me but I think I need to see his live show if/when he comes to Boston to see if the show hits home for me in a way the albums don't. I mean he claims to play the blues and I have not really heard any blues albums that are anything like the same experience as a live blues show.

The other guy has a point too but he's annoying as hell. If you're not able to get to a superstar level stuff like teaching has to become an option. You can't really argue against musicians getting paid and say they should just be social media celebrities. Regardless of what he says that's the message I got from him.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    EllroyJames likes this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The vast majority of artists in the past did not make money from recordings .

The ones who did were generally big established artists with a decent record deal and who kept their costs in line while they were recording.

Or small to mid level artists who had their own label and a devoted fan base. They made more per record than a gigantic artist but of course sold only a fraction .

Now, for almost everybody, live shows/the road is where almost all the money is.

Obviously merch too, but it’s it’s way easier to sell merch to a half drunk fan at a gig then it is to get them to order it online.

19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never listened to a Joe B. Song/album streaming or otherwise. I have only listened to him talk and play some riffs/licks on You Tube videos. So, I feel he and I are square financially.

I do have Spotify and I mostly use it to listen to the same artists that I have already bought on vinyl/tape/CD, I basically just reproduced my record collection on my phone. I also do use the 'daily mix" options and playlists, but I figure, if an artist is on there and I'm paying for the service, that's the end of my responsibility.

Over the air radio makes big money selling advertising and i guess the royalties reflect that? But it's free to listen to.

Spotify doesn't have ad revenue but does make big money through subscriptions so, I'm not sure why the royalty rate is so low, but I didn't make those deals, I made a deal for $10/month to listen to whatever music is available to me.

I'm not going to lose sleep wondering if JB is getting paid or not, the same way i don't lose sleep worrying about how much someone got paid to pick the banana that I just ate. People like JB who are still touring musicians can use Spotify to promote their music and sell concert tickets, artists who no longer tour and depend on royalties may have a case, but how much is a single spin of a 50 year old song worth?

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

so you don't like any of the the beep beep music, then? :-D)))

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.