1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bonamassa “Guitar Man” documentary announced

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by igor5, Nov 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Boy I loved that band!

aging_rocker likes this.
  2. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

What should forums be? Everyone just agreeing with each other? If you have an opinion someone's going to disagree with it.

Most adults can handle it.

Danb541 likes this.
  3. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

LOL...I so agree with you. But that's the kind of thing about him that keeps me from hating the guy. He basically schemed-up a way to, not only justify, but PAY for his GAS problems.

4. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Haha ... Bonomassa thread. Always explodes.

5. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Meister

I don't think I can separate the original Vanilla Ice track from Jim Carrey's send-up.

Danb541 likes this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

He's a nice guy. He is a good friend of a vintage guitar dealer i know and rings him when he lands here. I was in the shop and met him. He stayed for a B-B-Q as it was AFL football Grand Final Day.
    He is polite and humble.

7. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

White boy blues is my third favorite kind of blues, right behind British blues and old black man blues but before middle aged woman blues.

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Why would it be seen as anything but a compliment. He's a success because of his skills and tenacity with his own promotion. Either he does it or he pays someone to do it, right? Can you name anyone who has achieved his level of notoriety that has done it without a marketing team. Love him or hate him that dude has earned every penny he has.

Frodebro and BigBillow like this.
  9. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Love him, clever man... Envious of his passion. Amazed at his accomplishments. I just don't get the hate.

10. slacquin

slacquin TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Never in my life would I believe this Joe guy would obtain the admiration of so many. oh wait wong Joe

DrPepper likes this.
  11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Post of the year here. Great stuff. We’re never going to be able to top this.

goonie and Jared Purdy like this.
  12. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I recently sold the two Bonamassa LPs that I had. I tried to like him. Really, I did. I'll give him credit for putting out very nice LPs. Flawless 180 gram platters, very nice jacket too.

One of my best friends raves about him. I'll never be a tenth as good a player as he is, but I just don't get him. His sound, to my ears, lacks soul. Technical wizardry, yes. But. I like his playing on Mahalia Barnes' tribute LP to Betty Davis, that's about it.

13. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

i think he's a fine player. he's also self deprecating and very real about what it is that he does, in his various interviews. blues/rock is not really my favorite genre, but in that context, he's definitely a "keeper of the flame", so to speak, like Eric Gales, and a few others. also like Gales, he's an incredibly versatile and flexible player. as to the self promotion aspect, who, in this day and age, is gonna promote a blues/rock player? only they can do it themselves, and good for him for being great at that. that genre is not going to get a lot of support from the music industry in an era where Cardi B, Meg Thee Stallion, etc, are the flavor du jour.
    that said, would i absolutely love it if, in 2021, somebody released a popular record that sounded like Magic Sam, Muddy, Wolf, Little Walter?? absolutely! it's just i'm not optimistic that's gonna happen. things are the way they are, and i'm stoked we've all got 24/7 access via social media to players like Joe, Josh Smith, Kirk Fletcher, Marcus King, Eric Gales, etc. i love it all, for what it is.

richiek65, Roman4405 and USian Pie like this.
  14. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Blues is about feelings & emotions. The magic of the blues (or any other musical genre) is when the player is able to express an emotion through his instrument and transfer that emotion to an audience. BB King did not have to shread or over play to get his point across. Sometimes a single, sustained note, can transfer more feelings than 50 notes jammed together.

Joe is an excellent technical player. He has practiced hard & has been successful. I, personally, do not feel any emotion when I listen to his music. I am not jealous, I do not wish him or his fans any I'll will. To me, he's just not a bluesman.

fasteddie42 and Jared Purdy like this.
  15. Jared Purdy

Reportedly, (as I was told by Mark Bishop, owner of Mark's Guitar Loft) that the 2019 60th Anniversary Les Paul R9 was made from a scan of his legendary 1959 LP. They certainly play nice, and look amazing. Tone to die for. So far, since I bought mine, I'm still not playing like Joe. :lol:

16. Jared Purdy

Agreed.

17. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

You know all those staged impromptu visits at Norm's Rare Guitars that you see on youtube ?
    Joe is Norm's #1 (walk-in by accident with his own camera crew) customer who's agent phones in ahead of time just to make sure the store is empty by accident.

18. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Maybe somebody needs to produce a music genre chart.

I feel I need to know what styles of music I am entitled to play.

Or is it just JB who's not allowed to play the blues?

Roman4405 likes this.
  19. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

haha, I think people just like to beat poor Joe as to vent their frustrations.
    ... although, it's sunny out and in the 70s right now and I've got nothing to complain about.

20. Gevalt

Gevalt TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.