Bold Moves

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by SBClose, May 13, 2021.

1. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Much like PastorJay's post of a few months ago, here's a moving on post of my own.

I've been a full time staff member here in Flushing, MI for 17+ years. Prior to coming here, I spent 20 years as a student ministries pastor, always with some responsibilities in worship leadership. I'd describe my current role as Worship and Creative Arts Pastor and Utility Infielder.

And then the phone rang with an invitation to join the staff at a church in Lakeland Florida of all places! Plenty of prayerful conversation led to the decision to move to a completely different part of the world (yes, same country but in terms of climate and lifestyle its a big change). The church context is pretty different than my current situation so I'm expecting to learn a lot about being the new guy in the new place over the next year. My title won't change much but the expectations are a bit different in terms of leading, mentoring and guiding worship teams rather than being the front man almost all the time. There will be plenty more Utility Infielder opportunities as well, but that should always be expected. I'm excited that there's also an opportunity for my lovely wife to join the staff, she's an ordained elder in our denomination.

I just counted the times I used the word "different" in the above paragraph...pretty well sums up my expectations. But we certainly wouldn't do this if we hadn't felt the Spirit's leading so, here we go. Since the announcement a few weeks ago, people have been loving, kind and gracious, which is merely a return on the love, kindness and grace that God has empowered us to give away as we served.

I appreciate the lighthearted sincerity of those who frequent this forum whether we discuss the nuts and bolts of IEM, the superiority of the Telecaster as an instrument, or support through life's challenges and changes. Man, you can collect a lot of crap staying in one place for 17 years!

If you're still reading, please breathe a prayer for wisdom, discernment, a smooth transition, and that we find a place to live! Our house in MI already sold through word of mouth and I'm trusting that if God worked the deal on this end, he'll work a deal on the other.

THANKS!

ravindave_3600, Deeve, studio and 4 others like this.
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Congrats on the new chapter in your ministry! Praying for you and hoping you'll still have time to pop back in here from time to time, despite how busy you will undoubtedly be during the transition phase!

3. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations!

Isn't Lakeland where there was a revival not long ago?

hotraman likes this.
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Wow, MI to FL, different is the word to use; no more snow. When our son-in-law was stationed in Fort Walton Beach we loved visiting, always had fantastic sea food:D

Hope this is a great move for y'all:cool:

5. taltoz

taltoz TDPRI Member

Congratulations and welcome to Florida. You will be a good bit south of me but I hope you love the area and new opportunity.

6. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

They have TDPRI in Florida too ya know!

Congrats on the move!

How did they know who you were?

7. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Consider that prayer breathed. And again.

The post did sort of have that “I’m moving on in my job, and from TDPRI as well” feel to it, didn’t it?

8. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

is that the same church that had Todd Bentley doing his thing? I guess you could call that a Revival of sorts.

black_doug likes this.
  9. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Lakeland is definitely a hotbed of Christianity. How nice that your wife may get to work there also. I'll be praying that the church politics remain at the minimum.

Be prepared for 4 months straight of temperatures in the 90s and high humidity as well. If you like outdoor activities, you will LOVE the winter though. Feel free to PM me if you need advice or support, I've been down here a long time.

Prayers for safe travel and a smooth transition. TP

10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Change may be hard, but it is always good. Praying for you all.

11. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Long story, Studio.
    The pastor at this church served on staff in Winter Haven where my in-laws attend and rented a house a few doors down from them. They became good friends with my wife's folks and we became friendly as we visited a few times each year. Then, the denominational leadership asked him to lead the church in Lakeland a little over two years ago. "We'd love to have you join the staff here ...yadda yadda". A very kind thing to say but something I rarely take seriously.

Then, 5 days before we closed on a downsize house here in MI(!), he called to say they found themselves with an opening on staff and would we please consider it.
    So we sold a house we made two payments on. Sellin' is easy right now, buyin' ain't.
    Last Sunday in MI 5/23. Getting on a plane to go house hunting 5/25. Not sure when I'll be in harness but I expect by the end of June. Some snowbirds have made their house available for us to nest in for a couple months.

Telepraise, when we sat down with the lay leadership I said, "There are over 300 churches in Lakeland, why does the community need this one?" We were pleased with their thoughtful and sincere response.

Thanks all for the prayers and kind words.
    Yes, they have internet and TDPRI in Florida.
    I have no intention of leaving TDPRI...nearly endless education, distraction and amusement.

12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Cool!

13. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

Thats a great story of how God is leading you, into your next season. Looking forward to reading more. God's blessings and praying that you can find a home soon.

14. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good story. Most of the jobs I’ve had were because of someone I met who wanted to hire me later. May God bless and lead you.

15. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welp, a new thing to do; and feeling Guided to accept this change...
    Please share the experience of your move and re-settlement.
    Peace - Deeve

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.