Bogner Alchemist

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telecat33511, Oct 18, 2013.

1. telecat33511

telecat33511 Tele-Holic

Any love for these?
    I have a good deal on one of the 2x12 alchemist models
    I love the overdrive distortion tones of the Bogners
    CLeans sound pretty great too

any advice, oh minds greater than mine?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

3. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

Good amps. Don't let the Line 6 branding fool you; great tones can be had from these amps!

4. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

One of my favorite amps ever; the 2x12 has become a staple for me, because it gets along well with LOTS of different guitars. The reverb and delay are digital, but you don't care, they sound so good.

I'm sure the amp is capable of dirt, but I use it to get multiple flavors of clean -- two channels plus a boost switch means four basic clean sounds, and then you get into the switches... VERY versatile, but not so complicated you get lost.

Oh, it also sounds great with pedals.

5. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison or not, but I'll throw my recent experience into the ring.

I was recently reading a post about them being a much better amp than a Mesa/Boogie of a comparable model. Being a former Lonestar Special owner, I decided I'd have to hear this to believe it, as I always felt that the Lonestar was one of the best sounding amps I had ever played - just didn't like the weight. I was also curious as to how a Bogner would stack up against my Swart AST Master 112 combo with Celestion Gold in it.

After going over the models on the company web site I managed to locate a local store that carries the entire lineup. I checked out the Duente, a 20+ watt, 6V6 driven, with reverb and trem, two channel combo. While the Lonestar goes from 5-30 watts, it's overall layout is similar, with a clean channel and a drive channel, also with reverb. The exception being that the Lonestar has a few more knobs, and when it switched to the 30 watt power option it uses a diode (which changes the tone somewhat, IMHO).

The Lonestar is currently priced n Toronto at $1950, and the Bogner Duente, I believe was priced at $2600 - a sizeable price difference.

I'd definitely say that the Bogner Duente wins hands down in the weight category. It's as grab and go as they get. However, tone wise? The Lonestar blows the doors off of it - in either the clean or the OD channel.

As far as comparing it to the Swart, again, no comparison. Comparatively, the Bogner Duente sounds thin in either the clean or the drive channel, and it's also about $100 more. The Bogner did sound good in the drive channel when it was turned up loud, and it's not as if someone would say, "oh, that sounds thin", because it won't, but apples to apples, it didn't stack up, at least for me.

If you're looking for that kind of amp, have a look at the Morris Producer, by Glen Morris. Amazing amp. 2 channels, 45 watt, 2/12 combo. Hand wired, and even approved by the CSA, the electrical safety ****s of Canada. I'm jonesing for one, badly.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. Prairie Dawg

The Alchemist was a low cost production designed by Reinhold Bogner but built in the Line 6 factory in China. For $2600 you could get four or five Alchemists.

There's a couple of guitar center interviews with the designer. This one's pretty good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc0CjLP4H7Y

7. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Ah, got ya'. Wasn't aware of the price difference. I did notice the Bogner amps in the store that I was in were all US made, which would account for the price difference. According to their web site, the Alchemist is discontinued. Aside from the lower labour costs, I'd like to know what the qualitative differences are between the low cost Chinese made amp, and the US made amps. With the exception of one model (Helios), they are all PCB.

8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I'd suggest reading through these threads before you buy.
    http://bognerampforum.informe.com/alchemist-df12.html

9. Prairie Dawg

I check that forum regularly and it hasn't been updated in a long time. Still got the post for cheap Air Jordans. The amp I worked on exhibited the "dead Alchemist syndrome" which was naught but an 8 amp filament fuse artfully hidden on the power supply board. I've heard some things about the dodgy foot pedal connections but since I don't use it I don't care. It is far better built than any comparable Deville, Deluxe or Valve King and is built much more ruggedly-baltic birch cabinet no less.

Of course I'm an amp tech so if it goes **** up so what?

10. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

tried one with the Vintage 30 and the G12H, sounded nice...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.