1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bogen DB110 to 5E3

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jesco, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

Against my better judgement, I thought I would post a thread on my recent conversion. I like doing these conversions but fear too much competition bidding on the chassis on ebay!

I made a standard 5E3 with just a few minor updates--PI and power tube grid stoppers. The layout I had to invent. I decided to go true point-to-point. I have included the layout for fun. It turned out nice. There are some very sweet tones. It's a little woollier than my SDG 5E3. It comes on fast and hot, but has a great tone. I may mess with it a bit in the future to tame some of the fieriness.

Any criticism on the layout, etc., are welcome.

Bogen DB110 5.jpg
    IMG-3558.JPG IMG-3559.JPG IMG-3574.JPG
    IMG-3585.JPG

2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Off to eBay!

:D

Nice work. Did you do the head cab? It's very clean.

D'tar likes this.
  3. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

Thanks! I did make the head cab. I think I'm going to make a few more amps using that aesthetic.

tubegeek likes this.
  4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Nice, I like it! I do have an eye for the blondes though.;)
    Disclaimer: (I realize you may not be finished and ready to button it up. I hope I am not coming off as being highly critical. The critique is intended to help with finesse.)
    Here are the nit picks... (you asked).
    I would have liked to see the two Mallory caps, above the lamp, be tucked into the chassis. The silver mica as well.

One of the Mallory caps looks like the solder is dodgy on the terminal strip.

The fuse holder could be covered with heat shrink. The exposed 120VAC could bite a tech if provoked or ignored. (Check the soldering on the end pin as well.)

I can't put my finger on why, but the radius cuts on the wood just look wrong to my artist eye.

I would like to see either a tighter radius similar to the 5E3 and Marshall examples,

or

a TV front speaker cab with matching wood copying the same large radius which would tie the head and speaker cab together. Maybe followed up with a similar curve on the rear panel openings.

OMMV

All in all... good work!:cool:

LLC

5. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. I'll check those solder joints as well.

That is exactly the plan for the cab!

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  6. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Nice work! I've got a big Bogen MX-60 PA amp that's waiting to get turned into a guitar amp someday. Weighs a ton, huge transformers and a pair of 7027a power tubes. I think mine's probably going to become something along the lines of an over-powered Plexi clone though I suppose it could also be a very overpowered 5e3 if I was so inclined!

tubegeek likes this.
  7. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful project. Not to hijack the thread........I have two Bogen triple rectifier pa amp chassis that need to be recapped. Pair of 6L6s and 3 5AR4s. I don't know what to do with them. Ideas? I was thinking that they might make a nice matching pair of audiophile monoblocks if the right components were used.

tubegeek likes this.
  8. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

The PA amp I mentioned in my post is one of those triple rectified designs as well. Probably very similar to yours except for the higher powered 7027a tubes. To me they are begging to become something in the bassman amp family, but they could become Hi-Fi amps as well if you wanted something with some serious tube power. Either way I think the triple rectification is a bit of an overkill for a pair of 6l6 type tubes, I'd plan to just use one per amp and stash the rest. Unfortunately mine was missing the rectifier tubes but it did at least have all the other original tubes which is nice, but 3 vintage 5ar4s would have been nicer...

JeffBlue and tubegeek like this.
  9. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

My Bogen PA amps have the tube complement but the 5AR4s are Chinese tubes. The rest seem to be NOS. I got these amps from a friend of mine and before we wheeled and dealed for the chassis, he removed the NOS 5AR4s. I have a stash of NOS 5Y3s and I wonder if I could change the circuitry to utilize those. Would I want tube rectification in an audiophile amp?

10. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

That is a very nice job. I've converted the 110 to a Tweed Deluxe myself. It makes a great amp.

11. moonsmoons

moonsmoons NEW MEMBER!

@Jesco do you have any other photos/etc on that build? I picked up a DB110 and this build seems PERFECT but there are a few things between your layout and photos that I'm not getting. I'd love to see some more shots/etc. as I think this is what I'm gonna do to mine.

Jesco likes this.
  12. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

Beautiful work - love the head!

Jesco likes this.
  13. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

Looking over the layout, I definitely left a few things out that I felt were either obvious (rectifier hook up, etc) or undecided (grounding).

As for grounding, it’s a multi-star system where everything connects at the input jack. I isolated the speaker jack. It’s super quiet. That said, I have no idea what is going on with the ground from the final pre-amp stage smoothing cap. It appears to go to a tab on the back of the chassis. I don’t know why I didn’t just connect it to the ground if one of the bypass caps.

Anyways, I don’t have any more photos of the chassis. I can take some. I have been planning to revisit this amp and make adjustments to the B+, which is too high, and revisit some dodgy soldering joints.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have and I’ll be happy to answer.

14. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Great looking amp. I like how you combined the wood with the tolex, grill cloth, faceplate color and knob colors.

I think it's great to repurpose these older electronics that would otherwise end up thrown away or sitting on a shelf.

15. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

Thanks for the kind words!

I’m torn on repurposing. I think it’s fine on old PAs, cause there is absolutely no need for a tube PA. I worry about some of the Bogen mid-fi stereos though. They are beautiful amps in their own right. I hope we’re not destroying something valuable. And by “we”
    I mean me first and foremost.

I really worry about the Hammonds. They are such unbelievable pieces of art and build to last forever. I think we really need to set some rules as an amp building community around repurposing.

16. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

I agree with you that one shouldn't destroy something that is still functional and useful. With that being said I have torn down two old S6 chord organs, but they were non working examples in very rough shape, but I still felt a little guilty. As you said they are works of art inside.

Jesco likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.