Body wood comparison

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TeleBluesMan, Jun 24, 2021.

1. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I thought there was a clear winner: the grain on the swamp ash looked better than the other two.

Peltogyne and WalthamMoosical like this.
  2. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

Or any other amp you'd prefer.

I'm with Mr. Keller on this one.

Again.

3. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

CONSCIOUS practice. Look how many YT demos are just unbearable. It pays to record yourself or have another player evaluate your playing so your shortcomings and bad habits don't become ingrained.

4. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Holic

This all goes back to an experiment by Antonio Torres (the father of the modern classical guitar) early in the 19th century, where he made a guitar body of papier mache, with a standard spruce soundboard. It was quite successful and the guitar was owned by some of the greats, including Francisco Tarrega. The guitar was restored a few years back and there are recordings of it being played; sounds great.

Peltogyne and Blind Owl like this.
  5. shucky

shucky TDPRI Member

More of a vodka man myself but agree with you otherwise.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  6. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Right on :).

No need to over-complicate things.

Keep it simple ;).

7. Marblatx

Marblatx Tele-Meister

A guitar's solid body is simply a place to mount the electronics. It does nothing else.

8. ashtone54

ashtone54 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

The differences in how electric guitar bodies are made does make a difference imo. The wood species makes a small difference, and so does the weight/mass. It is not like the difference between a Stratocaster and a Tele, but it is there. Otherwise an SG standard and a Les Paul Standard would sound identical. And they don’t.

9. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I have guitars with all the mentioned woods...as they say in Texas "It's all good!"

10. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

I preferred the mahogany in a couple of the series - sounded more woody to me, but other than that could not tell much difference, using headphones.

My thinline mahogany tele is under 6 lbs and gives me a thick woody tone that I prefer. The neck pup is great for jazz.

11. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg Tele-Meister

It would be interesting to do this while catching audio spectro-grams of all the sound.

12. Blind Owl

Blind Owl TDPRI Member

Well, Darrel Braun says tone is 80% amp, 19% pickups, and everything else is 1%.

13. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Im not gonna argue I can distinguish species in a blind test. Thats ridiculous.
    But if you maintain that weight, hardness, and density of the wood in a body or neck had no bearing on the sound, I can only assume you haven't played hundreds of guitars over a 45 year span and are simply talking out of your ass.

14. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted

I think that the wood that has the greatest influence on the tones that I get is the wood that my fingers seem to be made of. And yes, the alder I get, the more I talk out my ash.

Weazel and Peltogyne like this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Different guitar bodies, of the same dimensions and even sometimes the same weight/density, can and often do sound and respond differently to inputs.

The trouble for purveyors of replacement guitar bodies is, they can't even come close to determining in advance, which guitar body they offer you for sale is gonna sound like what. But businessmen being businessmen, they try to predict based on species (or weight or both) what the body they're offering you for sale is gonna sound like. 'Cause that's how they can make their living.

But all that exists in fact is, a Propensity for a 3 pound, 13 ounce ash body to sound a certain way and for a 4 pound, 7 ounce mahogany body to sound a little different way. You cannot specify and assemble a guitar from pieces parts and really know in advance (with any useful degree of certainty) what it is gonna sound like. Various parts manufacturers pretend they can get you exactly to your destination, but this is like finding yourself standing on a streetcorner in Shreveport when you thought you bought a ticket for New Orleans. Or maybe you'll get Lafayette, or Baton Rouge. But when they promise New Orleans, we call that "puffery". They know, this is all a game.

Assemble 50 of these things, and let me know what you find.

The "right" way to do this if you need a very specific sound/character in a guitar, is to run the racks someplace where they have acoustics you can handle, and a large selection of amps to plug into and an even larger selection of guitars you'd actually be seen playing.

Otherwise, just practice a lot and accept the wonderful sound the "pretty" guitar happens to possess and don't worry about it trending this way or that. Use your amp and speakers and your ability to bridge the gap.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Iago likes this.
  16. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

I can't help wonder if there wouldn't be that much difference between 3 different bodies of the same wood type.

Iago likes this.
  17. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

There is, even when they’re cut from adjacent planks of the same tree.

Sleph likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.