Body mount Tele bridge pickup - screws to use?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 11 Gauge, Mar 26, 2020.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

So I've got a Tele parts build that I have a short bridge plate for, so the next step will be to mount the bridge pickup to the body itself.

What screws should I use for this? Is there just a standard size and style that would work, or does someone specifically offer screws for this purpose?

I briefly thought of using Tele neck pickup body mounting screws, but I know that the screw shaft (unthreaded portion) has a smaller diameter than is probably optimal, which would allow the pickup to shift around. So I guess what would be preferred is a screw with an o.d. that is pretty close to the i.d. of the screw hole in the pickup.

Any suggestions?

2. Tone Specific

Tone Specific TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Most people use 6-32 screws on Tele Bridge pickups. You could use a similar sized wood screw but you don’t have to. You could just tap a hole for a 6-32 screw.

We make “Parker mount” Humbucker for some luthiers. The mounting screw is just a normal sized Humbucker screw (1 per coil, 2 per pickup). The screw is thinner than a 6-32 & a Humbucker is much heavier plus you’ll have three screws going in.

The point is that you shouldn’t have any problems using 6-32’s and tapping holes in the body but a similar sized wood screw might be easier.

A #6 wood screw has a similar diameter to a 6-32 machine screw.

3. 11 Gauge

So you're suggesting that I put inserts in the body for 6-32 machine screws? Or actually run a tap in the wood itself?

The body is supposedly made of poplar, and I know that it seems to be hard/dense, but it still seems really unorthodox using machine screws this way.

...Unless I'm just misunderstanding you.

The #6 wood screw, with an unthreaded portion near the head, sounds like it would make a lot more sense.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Tone Specific

Tone Specific TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Luthiers we know run taps directly into the wood with a heavier pickup, smaller screws and less points of contacts. They say they’ve never had a problem. Inserts would work too but if it were me I’d probably just use a wood screw. You’ve got options.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Jazzmaster pickup screws

8trackmind likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

Jazzmaster screws are 1”, might find equivalents at the hardware store but might not A8964A05-7C1E-4B29-A7F3-502FF32EAA2C.jpeg

7. telemnemonics

When I buy Jazzmaster screws (and P bass/ J bass screws which are longer) they seem to be sold both fully threaded and partially threaded. Makes sense to seek the ones with no threads where they go through the threaded Tele base plate.

8. 11 Gauge

Thank you - that makes sense to me. I figured there was probably something out there (almost) right under my nose, but never having owned a JM, I never would have thought of that.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

The screws that come with the fender tele neck pickups are perfect for this. I don't have any laying around but someone else might. I've also used screws from a p90 and simply cut them down. (Sometimes the heads are too small, depends on the pickup)

You got a mom and pop store close by? Mine keeps take-off parts and if I can tell them exactly what I'm needing, they usually give em to me.

10. 11 Gauge

Out of all of my Teles, only two of them have the neck pickup mounted to the body. So I should have piles of those screws, provided they came with any given replacement pickup.

...I just thought their diameters might be a little on the small side, WRT the size of a Tele bridge pickup screw hole. I want the pickup to line up with the polepieces as well as it does (within reason) when it's mounted in a bridge plate. If the screw diameters are too small, I figured the pickup would move around, especially sitting atop screws or tubing.

11. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

When I body mount, I use springs, not tubing. The little triangle ones. I put the larger side against the body, but hey, I'm no expert.

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Anyone have a GE Smith Model who can pull a screw for show-and-tell???

13. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit Tele-Meister

I wish!

14. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The G E Smith service diagram lists Fender p/n 001-8373-049 for both the bridge and neck pickup mounting screws.
    They are #3 x 1" slotted, round-head wood screws, same as standard neck pickup screws on all Fender US vintage-style Teles.
    The MiM Classic Series Teles and Jazzmaster screws are the same size but Phillips not slotted. Fender p/n 001-6295-000

G E Smith service diagram
    http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/011-8202A_SISD.pdf

15. 11 Gauge

Thanks for that.

I ended up getting a pack of those Fender screws (they must be 001-8373-049, even though I don't have them in front of me, right now).

I've actually had the screws for awhile, but just need some time to get to taking that Tele apart, and swapping the bridges and all.

Beyond anything else, I really hope that this alleviates the microphonic squealing issue that I'm getting with that particular Tele, because it really doesn't matter what I do to the stock-style bridgeplate (it's not the pickup that's microphonic, for certain).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.