Body Ink Gone Wrong

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
How is that rebellion in any meaningful sense of the word?

If you can't see it I'm not sure I can explain it.
I'll try.
In a world well on it's way to going mad, staying normal is a powerful form of rebellion. Maybe the only one that matters.

Normie's like me acknowledge the madness that exists out there but do not get all "monkey see, monkey do" just because "everyone else is doing it." Succumbing to the overwhelming stupidity of the world is not who I am.

I'll always be that guy watching the lemmings go over the cliff trying to get their attention...... "uh guys".... "guys."

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've seen some great tattoos and some not-so-great ones. I don't see the appeal of having them but other people can do what they want with their bodies. I don't have any tattoos myself and I don't want any.

If that makes me a 'square' according to this thread, then so be it. I've got other stuff to worry about.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
My younger (he's 46, I'm 57) first cousin's tattoos.

I love him, but I don't get this. I just get concerned about any potential health issues to having ink in your body.

View attachment 1008387 View attachment 1008388

That's all stuff peoole worried about in the 80s, before modern technology took over.

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
If you can't see it I'm not sure I can explain it.
I'll try.
In a world well on it's way to going mad, staying normal is a powerful form of rebellion. Maybe the only one that matters.

Normie's like me acknowledge the madness that exists out there but do not get all "monkey see, monkey do" just because "everyone else is doing it." Succumbing to the overwhelming stupidity of the world is not who I am.

I'll always be that guy watching the lemmings go over the cliff trying to get their attention...... "uh guys".... "guys."

Normie’s Like Me is my new un-ironic, un-apologetic band name …

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
It's the way of things *shrug* , it's why we now have a rock n roll hall of fame
And every gimmick hungry yob digging gold from rock n roll grabs the mic to tell us he'll die before he's sold
But I believe in this, and it's been tested by research, he who fv€k$ nuns will later join the church

Even if I'd noticed many moons ago that Joe Strummer had summed it all up before I was born, I'd still be doing this. Not really good at anything else.
But I've always hated having the most popular of X or the what I'm supposed to have of Y. It "conforming " or not rarely had anything to do with me.
Guitars and amps fir example: I've always had a major guitard-on for offset fenders. They weren't "cool" when I was younger, and fender didn't make many models for the US domestic market compared to now. Everyone was into strats and LPs. I think the fact that teles weren't as popular as those 2 models helped put it on my radar as an option, when I'd previously viewed it as a country guitar.
Ditto with silverface Fenders, which people now actually seek out in several cases.
Having long hair? Yea, every self absorbed, excessively entitled spineless twit with a youtube channel seems to proudly sport a manbun NOW. But I was taking it from both directions 2 decades ago. The "in people" tried picking fights, and me being short, skinny, and too dumb to know to back down always stood my ground. Then the punk/post hardcore people jabbed for me looking too grunge. (But I could passive aggressively throw stiff elbows to throats in the pit at shows with a "sorry bro" to those).

I guess what I'm saying is I'm just waiting it out for my ink to be "not-cool" again, like it was when I was 16 and got my first tattoo. At that time, the only other people in high-school with tattoos had a sibling that was a tattooist or had sh¡tty scratcher type garbage done. My friend Travis and I both paid for actual shops doing our first tattoos (I got a greywash seahorse on my upper arm, he got a misfits logo on his forearm) with money from working full-time over the summer after sophomore year. By the time we were seniors, random 16 year Olds on the jv football team were getting ink.

You only look like a rebel until everyone else steals your idea and ruins it. It seems to be the nature of the beast.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
I think tattoos generally look ridiculous. I'm sure the sleeve tat moms think I look ridiculous. And so it goes.

While deployed to Iceland with the Navy, they would send us to Amsterdam for r&r.
That seems like the worst idea ever.
How is that rebellion in any meaningful sense of the word?
Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.
-Flaubert

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
And every gimmick hungry yob digging gold from rock n roll grabs the mic to tell us he'll die before he's sold
But I believe in this, and it's been tested by research, he who fv€k$ nuns will later join the church

Even if I'd noticed many moons ago that Joe Strummer had summed it all up before I was born, I'd still be doing this. Not really good at anything else.
But I've always hated having the most popular of X or the what I'm supposed to have of Y. It "conforming " or not rarely had anything to do with me.
Guitars and amps fir example: I've always had a major guitard-on for offset fenders. They weren't "cool" when I was younger, and fender didn't make many models for the US domestic market compared to now. Everyone was into strats and LPs. I think the fact that teles weren't as popular as those 2 models helped put it on my radar as an option, when I'd previously viewed it as a country guitar.
Ditto with silverface Fenders, which people now actually seek out in several cases.
Having long hair? Yea, every self absorbed, excessively entitled spineless twit with a youtube channel seems to proudly sport a manbun NOW. But I was taking it from both directions 2 decades ago. The "in people" tried picking fights, and me being short, skinny, and too dumb to know to back down always stood my ground. Then the punk/post hardcore people jabbed for me looking too grunge. (But I could passive aggressively throw stiff elbows to throats in the pit at shows with a "sorry bro" to those).

I guess what I'm saying is I'm just waiting it out for my ink to be "not-cool" again, like it was when I was 16 and got my first tattoo. At that time, the only other people in high-school with tattoos had a sibling that was a tattooist or had sh¡tty scratcher type garbage done. My friend Travis and I both paid for actual shops doing our first tattoos (I got a greywash seahorse on my upper arm, he got a misfits logo on his forearm) with money from working full-time over the summer after sophomore year. By the time we were seniors, random 16 year Olds on the jv football team were getting ink.

You only look like a rebel until everyone else steals your idea and ruins it. It seems to be the nature of the beast.
the good news is that what people refer to as "rock n roll" (which is not actually "rock n roll", but rather "rock music") is actually relatively underground once again. it may yet go full circle and become cool again

grandstick

Tele-Holic
My grandfather had a tattoo on his forearm (I don’t remember what it was of). My parents never had any, nor myself or my siblings or cousins.

Now, amongst our children, every single one of them has at least one, or full sleeves, legs, across their clavicles… .

It will be interesting to see what their children will do.

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
All of us have the right to do with our bodies whatever we please. Period. That being said, I personally like the concept of the tattoo (well, some tattoos, more like a an upper arm thing, not a full sleeve or Yakuza type back) , but not to the level of really having one done on me. Putting aside some tattoos that commemorate a certain event in life and are basically hidden, the once done for the sake of decoration should, in my opinion, match the overall image. If you wanna have a bad boy/girl look, with all your clothes, hairstyle, wheels, job, favorite pastimes, drinks, places you frequent etc matching this idea of yourself, than go ahead and have them done. I do not appreciate the look of ladies or guys in a formal attire, with some large tattoos sticking out here and there and basically spoiling the otherwise elegant picture. Like a fart while at the reception with the Queen of England. A tattoo is a constant and never changing part of a wardrobe so you gotta choose all other elements to match and complete the tattoo. In addition, it's also a question of being in a proper shape - a tattoo made when you where skinny doesn't look too good after eating a train carriage full of fast food over the years. I don't do workouts so my upper arm muscles are non-existing and I can barely lift a Tele - hence no "tough boy" tattoo there :D

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I don’t care if somebody has tattoos—even if they’re heavily inked. The only time it gives me pause is it it’s attached to the extreme body-modifications (inked solid black from head to toe, etc) or racist/extremist symbols…and even then, it’s none of my business, so I don’t make a big deal out of it—I just know individuals with those latter type of “art” are probably either attention-seekers, unstable or just downright bad (racist stuff).

I used to be the hiring manager for a group of hospitals and I had to convince the VERY conservative owners to allow employees to have visible tats, otherwise we weren’t going to find many people in our particular job market. As long as their tats weren’t racist or vulgar, I didn’t care if they were visible.
The guys/gals with the former usually didn’t get hired (my choice) and I’d ask people to cover a bad word (if they got hired).

I don’t have any tattoos, for two reasons; the main one is personal convictions/religious reasons (it’s not specifically “against” my religion but it’s not encouraged) and and the other is I’ve never found any image I want to be on me forever.
I mean, I have a particular shirt that I really like but I don’t want to wear it every day for the rest of my life.

My wife has none, for the same reasons (her decision, not mine).

I always make the joke that “you don’t paint graffiti on the side of the Taj Mahal…”

I’ve seen some tattoos that I thought were cool, like one guy had the Waylon Flying W, another had a Thunderbird emblem (based on his ‘56) and the girl that had the intertwined SRV initials on her shoulder…all of these were fairly small, inconspicuous and innocuous, and they meant something to that person—it wasn’t a random “everybody is getting a tribal ribbon so I will too” thing.

uriah1

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I feel so old. When I was a kid a tattoo meant you were in the Navy or in a biker gang.
Yep. I remember be going into a tattoo parlor in San Fran back in the day and most there were heart. Mom . anchors and a panther. An inebriated sailor I was with got a panther

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Maybe you’re not personally being pearl clutchy, but the general vibe of this thread is “oh no! Criminals and the lower class!” Which just comes across as wildly paranoid and wildly out of touch. It’s like being afraid that Henry Winkler is going to ride a motorcycle through your front door and burn your house down. Not Fonzie, current old man Henry Winkler.

Some sort of anti-tattoo bias is just kind of mind boggling.
I never did trust that Winkler boy!

fattboyzz

Tele-Meister
My nephew let some hack put crappy tattewz all over his back. Got real drunk and the hack put some tearz under both eyez.
I never derided him about it . It waz his choice.
God rest his soul . He died a few months back near Tucson Az. in a bad motorcycle wreck :(