1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Body grain perpendicular to the neck

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by eddie27, Jan 5, 2014.

1. eddie27

eddie27 Tele-Meister

I've got a blank block of maple that is wide enough to do a set neck semi hollow if I build it with the grain running perpendicular to the neck. Anyone ever done this? Would it make a difference?

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wouldn't do it, it would likely cup over time from string tension. It does get done from time to time, there's a guy on eBay that does some really crude pine bodies that have the grain running across the body. Always wondered what he heck he was thinking...

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Yea , I wouldn't do it , there's a reason why you don't see it done , has to do with wood expanding and contracting differently across the grain as opposed to with the grain .

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I guess You have missed all the threads with guys asking if it was ok to make a body with the grain running the opposite of the centerline of the guitar... and the thread that the guy started because the guitar he built was unstable and wouldn't stay in tune since he built it that way without asking if it would cause problems...

5. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

bingo!
    Tangential wood movement is most pronounced, followed by radial, and far far away, longitudinal movement.

Placing the tangent perpendicular to the centerline will raise heck with intonation as well as sharping and flatting the instrument due to temp and humidity changes.

6. eddie27

eddie27 Tele-Meister

Would it matter if the design was neck thru so the bridge was anchored to the tenon? That would eliminate the intonation issues right?

7. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

That might work... but... now you have the expansion-contraction of the body working against the length of the tenon (a long tenon)

8. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Expect cracking in the finish along the joint due to the different expansion rates.

I take it, the piece of stock is less than 18" long?

If it is really spectacular looking stuff, you could always use a solid blank of something you like weight and tone/color wise, and then make some sort of cool patchwork top from a few pieces with scarf joints and put a binding on it.

9. Mike Simpson

Is this figured maple or plain maple?
    Post a picture with dimensions.

Wood is not that expensive... buy a piece that is big enough for the body.
    You don't want to spend all the time to make a guitar and have to start over.

10. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

There is also a good chance that your glue joints would fail because your body "wings" would expand and contract at different rates than the tenon.

11. eddie27

eddie27 Tele-Meister

I'm convinced. I'll just make a narrower solid body guitar. Thanks!

12. Mike Simpson

What are the measurements of the wood you have?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.