1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Body for upcoming build. I want Swamp Ash around 3.5 lbs

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Kmanshaman, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Kmanshaman

Kmanshaman TDPRI Member

I wanted to buy a Musikraft but they don't sell bodies to spec anymore. Probably won't start for six months since I built the Strat last year. Tele won't get out of my brain. Almost built that instead of Strat last year.
    I'm going to go with Musikraft birdseye neck vintage style and need a light Ash body. Any suggestions? Thank you.

2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Warmoth

3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

3.5 lb for a genuine full thickness, solid ash tele body is really not all that common, not that you can't get one, but be prepared to shell out some $$. 3.75-4 is really much more obtainable. That being said, I would imagine that you could get one from either Guitar Mill or Warmoth, but it might hurt a little bit.

4. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

Another supplier is byoguitar.com

I bought a Nashville strat kit from them. The body is swamp ash. They offer lots of body options.

5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Warmoth used to generally have a handful of 3.33-3.75 lb chambered ash bodies or 3.67-3.875 lb. extra light ash bodies in stock, but just looked and not a lot in stock right now (maybe a lot of quarantine guitars getting assembled). Worth a look though.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Wanting is easier than getting!
    Too true that ash bodies that light are getting scarce.
    Chambered is a good solution.
    As stated, Warmoth has them in stock with pics and weights.

7. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

MJT. I’ve bought several sub 3.5 pound ash bodies from them. Check their eBay listings and if you don’t see what you want or don’t win the auction, email them, they’ll obtain and custom finish what you need.

8. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

buy or MAKE a chambered body. I've made three this year. cheapo bodies hollowed out so the top is about 1/4" thick and the sides about 1/2" - 3/4". I glue in a block of ash where the bridge mounts and a 1" square "strut" from that block to the neck. I mill off 1/8" from the back and glue on 1/8" Baltic birch, which is super strong for the thickness. it is astounding how light a Tele can be. and resonant... wow. I've been meaning to post a thread..

edit: got off my dead butt and posted a few pix of my light weight projects. not complete but you get the idea

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/telecaster-weight-loss-program.1060470/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

time to get it into your head.. Swamp Ash is now one of the more expensive woods one can select.... expect to pay rather punitive prices for Swamp Ash.. throw in "light weight" and you're gonna hafta call your broker to liquidate a block of your Berkshire Hathaway stock.

while we were fending off COVID, the Ash Trees were fending off some damn diqueheaded beetle..

r

John Nicholas and milocj like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.