1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Body Crack - No Big Deal or Dead Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jayhawknavy02, Oct 29, 2020.

1. jayhawknavy02

jayhawknavy02 TDPRI Member

Unfortunately, I didn't open up the Tele I inherited until after I got all my electronics for a new build and locking tuners. When I received it it I noticed there were some small cracks around the neck pocket in the finish and a large chip in the body so it appeared it had taken a pretty significant hit at some point. Took the pickguard off and saw the crack was worse than I suspected, however, I'm not familiar with how durable solid body guitars are either. Neck is strait and plays great.

I also noticed that the screw was a little goofy on the control plate, what I though might be poorly installed ended up being worse. Any recommendations on repair? I have interior/exetior wood filler, but there may be better options I'm not tracking/aware of.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

All is not lost. Those breaks are common, actually, and are the result of forcing a tight-fitting neck into the pocket, or pulling on the neck with loose neck attachment screws.

Wick in some water-thin CA (superglue) into the crack from the neck pickup pocket side to stabilize it. Do this in stages, with cure time in between; otherwise it will all run out.

You Cut a few toothpicks in half, dip the pointy ends in wood glue, and tap them onto that damaged screw hole. Fit as many as it takes to fill the hole. Carefully wipe off all excess glue and allow the glue to cure for fout hours or so. Trim the repair flush with a sharp knife.

this_grackle, scook, Antoon and 4 others like this.
  3. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

These are all common place on Teles. Peegoo has already said what I would have said only one of my Teles had cracks on both side of the neck pocket but it has never been an issue stability-wise and plays great.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

As PeeGoo said, I would flow some CA glue into the crack to stabilize it. It wicks in deep. It's under the pickguard anyway right? I would probably glue in some tooth picks in that screw hole. CA or epoxy.

5. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Does the guitar go unreasonably out of tune out of tune as you are playing it and jumping around? If so, you need to repair it carefully. If the guitar is stable, just get some glue in the crack and make it look decent. If the crack is real deep the guitar can snap between in tune and out of tune and drive you crazy.

I would take the neck off and wax it before taking thin CA Superglue to the crack. Just take some Johnsons wax or some car wax that is actually wax and not the miracle one-step silicone miracle chemical stew. Put it everywhere that could glue the neck into the pocket.

I would also, while the neck is firmly screwed to the body, hold the body firmly and push the neck to and fro as if trying to break the crack even wider open. If the crack does grow wider and narrower when bending the guitar, I would bend it when putting the superglue in the crack.

I use fresh strong thin CA glue from a hobby shop that sells a lot of it. The stuff that has been on the rack for a couple of months in the hardware store or the grocery store is useless and unreliable.

6. jayhawknavy02

I haven’t noticed any significant tuning issues. Appreciate the tip on the wax!

The crack is under the pickguard and out of sight. Guitar sounds and plays great, so I’m very happy to hear most likely no major issues. Plus, it’s was my father’s so I would like to keep it plugging along.

No real movement pulling on the neck even at semi-unreasonable levels. I can get the crack to flex by pulling on the body but only a very small amount.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  7. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

for that screw hole, instead of toothpicks, drill it out to 1/4" and glue in a piece of 1/4" hardwood dowel. then drill a new pilot hole for the screw

jayhawknavy02 likes this.
  8. jayhawknavy02

That sounds like a great solution for a permanent fix.

Danb541 likes this.
  9. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

No Big deal

fenderchamp likes this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

consider sanding the neck pocket a bit if the paint is making the neck a force fit

jayhawknavy02 likes this.
  11. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Just be careful. A drill press or some depth stop is preferred.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Just put your pick guard back on and forget you ever saw that.

If it was a valuable old Tele I might say otherwise, but it looks like a run-of-the mill modern model or possibly even a partscaster.

13. jayhawknavy02

Thanks! Will do.

Yep, no real value at all other than sentimental since I inherited it. The other Tele, which was more valuable and arguably more important to my father was sold unfortunately, oh well.... This was a future project guitar (MIM Tele) for my late father, so no issues with value or modifying it, and its become a parts caster with me since that was his vision for it anyway. I've set it up to mimic the other Tele that he played as a professional musician that I liked much more...that one didn't have any cracks though...lol. I'm going to use the CA glue for the body, I have tons due to a bad RC car habit sitting around in various viscosities. Easy day.

The dowel will do the trick on the control plate with the guidance Telecentric provided. Both solutions are only going to run me a couple bucks in material.

As long as it sounds and plays great, and has stable tuning I'm happy.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.