Bob Weir isolated guitar from Dead show

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boxla, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I couldn't listen to the whole thing, but the few bits I heard convinced me. It took a while to appreciate it, but what he does on Deal is pretty remarkable. Mostly because I'd never noticed before. He does very little but it's really well chosen both in terms of note selection and timing (with some questionable moments for the latter).

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Dance, dance, dance..... You used a C major barre chord as an example and said that if one did not play the low c
    , one would be playing a different voicing but that is was NOT an inversion. I took it that you were meaning the Barre E form with the C on the 8th fret, 6th string. So.....again...x-10-10-9-8-8. That is an inversion, unless again I have undergone some mental collapse. ???
    Why is G,C, E,G,C not an inversion? ....it is an inversion because the 5th is in the bass position. Some folks are here to learn and IF you can refute the accepted fact that building a C MAJOR chord with the G in the bass is NOT an inversion, I want to hear/read that refutation. But....I don’t want to dance.....

3. Wally

Max, the notes there...x-10-10-9-8-8 are x-G-C-E-G-C. There is no sharped fifth there. Can an inversion of a C major not contain more than three notes as long as those notes are the 1st, 3rd, and 5th of the C Major scale?

4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, music theory 101 in college is slowly returning to my brain pan. Strictly speaking I believe “first inversion” means the third is the lowest note, while “second inversion” means the 5th is the lowest note. So GCE and GEC would be two variations of the second inversion of a C major triad. Now to Wally’s question I think the presence of additional octave notes doesn’t matter. GCECG would still be considered “second inversion”. Someone could look all this up on a Wiki or in a book but that’s what I recall from 38 years ago.....

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's it. It's just an indication of what the bass note is.

Wally likes this.
  6. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

That is a cool video. Skipping around, it's tough to tell what some of the songs are. I dig what he does during the turnarounds in Tennessee Jed.

332xxx
    X320xx
    Xx201x
    Xxx010
    035xxx
    X35x5x
    X3x05x
    Xx555x
    Xxx553
    3x2x1x
    X3x0x0
    Xx2x13
    X32xx3

I'm not going to call them inversions or voicings for a reason, but here are 13 useful fingerings for a C triad just below the 5th fret. I use 9 or 10 of these on a regular basis. There are a few more not worth posting. Plenty of ways to play a C chord.

---

What makes Bob Bob is what makes Bob great. Lays back, makes room, accentuates the groove and punctuates the mode. If he were strumming caged shapes instead the band would sound completely different, and not in a good way.

7. Bedder18

Bedder18 TDPRI Member

I’m learning to appreciate “effective” musicians more than the flamboyantly talented ones. Giving space in your approach to a song, showcasing your vocalist, projecting mood, and just about anything related to upholding the subtle artistry of music was once lost on me. Now that I’m old enough to become arthritic, I’m learning these things.

8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

A major chord has six inversions-
    C E G- 1 3 5
    C G E- 1 5 3
    E G C- 3 5 1
    E C G- 3 1 5
    G C E- 5 1 3
    G E C- 5 3 1

9. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

thank you very much for posting Joe Pass Playing (the Ibanez JP 20 sounds really good.

10. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Check out some of the WOLF BROS. from last year. You can really appreciate Bobby’s playing

11. Wally

The first two examples are 2 voicings of the root position of a C major chord, correct? The second pair of examples are two voicings for the first inversion, as I understand it. The third pair are two voicings for the second inversion, as I understand it.

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Wally, I agree. The six shown are all possible but the term inversion is focused on the bass note. Normal CEG is not an inversion. E in bass is first inversion and G in bass is second, and subsequent order of other chord notes doesn’t change the name of the inversion.

13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Music theory might not terms for all of them but there are 6 permutations of a 3-note triad if you don't repeat any of the notes, you can play all of them whether or not there's a name for them. High school math...

For a C major triad:

CEG
    CGE
    ECG
    EGC
    GCE
    GEC

6 distinct permutations. In math terms "3 P 2" = 3 * 2 * 1 = 6

There's 27 if you take all the combinations but they don't all add up to a chord or even imply a chord. E.x. C-C-C is not a C chord. Pretty sure my instructor would argue some of the others do imply a C chord in the right context. E.x. C-E-C in context has the root + major 3rd so would qualify, the 5th is not important to make the listener assume major tonality. (That seems to usually come in when you have something like Root + M3 + 7th or something though.) This lesson usually seems to go along with me getting told that the whole thing with a power chord is Root + 5th or Root + 5th + Octave and it doesn't let you think major or minor out of context.

I've been working hard on these but haven't thought to go trying all the different permutations.. I know what I'm going to be messing around with tonight when I get some practice time.

Now if I could just wrap my head around 7 chord vs Maj7 vs Dominant/Augmented/whatever... usually that just gives me a headache.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  14. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I remember standing in the front row of the shows between 87-91, and just watching in awe as Bob laid down these wacky chords, and inversions, and playing chords with notes that made no sense to me.

Now, 30 years later... And yes I am biased, Bob Weir if one of the best rhythm guitarists of all time.

The spaces between the notes, the add-ons to Jerry's follies, and the way he sees the fret board, and where the notes he pushed need to come from, is beyond masterful.

Yeah, Let the Good Times Roll is a four-chord song that you can play after a long night of IPA's, but listen to the chords, and notes of Looks Like Rain.

I have finally gained enough confidence, ability, and the wherewithal to cover this song live, and sing it and play it where Bob does. And when you break down where the singing and the notes played under the voicing.. It is a masterpiece.

~syf

15. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

All these mentions of I Know You Rider and no one includes the E minor chord.....

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If only the great grandfathers of the theory rrrrevolution had been mathematicians! Root position would have also been called 0th inversion ;)

17. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

It's pretty short, to be fair.

18. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Someone in the comments below the video posted the set list. That's how I was able to jump around. Anytime I see full concerts like this, I pray that some kind soul posts the set list in the comments. Thankfully someone usually does.

Deeve likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.