Bob Seger

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vfc13, Jan 19, 2020.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I would not want Jack White to be the 'reissue' person. I think bob ought to get to be as odd a duck as he chooses... maybe he doesn't want it messed with. To me (and this is totally arbitrary) there is everything up to live bullet... that is 'first Seger' then everything up to 'like a rock' that is 'mid seger' and then like 25 years of 'well hell, lets put something out'.

CJM3309 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Jack would be nothing if not respectful but I think the material is worthwhile enough that you could even trust it to the other Bob , Seger’s old buddy Kid Rock, and it would still turn out great.

and in actuality, maybe it doesn’t have to be messed with, maybe that could be a stipulation but it’s not out. It’s never been out. None of it.

Back in 72 is a phenomenal record. I think Bob just has a problem with objectivity but, its his to do with as he pleases so…

I think your timeline is valid though.

3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

This album just came up on my truck's MP3 drive. Love it!!!

4. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I love all Drew Abbot's and Pete Carr's guitar work. If memory serves me correctly (and that's a 5050 proposition) Drew Abbot played on both the live records, and the last record he played on was The Distance. That was the one where they brought in some LA studio guys--which ticked him off.

getbent and ruger9 like this.
  5. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

This is what my ideal band would be. Straight up rock and roll.

ruger9 likes this.
  6. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

I liked Bob Seger in the '70s. Mostly because the local radio station would play "Turn The Page" all the time because of the "East of Omaha' lyric.

I worked at a temp work place for a bit and they sent me with a moving guy one day. He played "Night Moves" over and over and over that day.

Never got to see Bob live though.

PastorJay likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I understand Night Moves lyrics "And points all her own sitting way up high/Way up firm and high" inspired audience participation at concerts. ;)

8. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I saw the BS System back in the day. Great band!

getbent likes this.
  9. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Lots of great records came out in that late 60s/early 70s that wouldn't pass the sniff test of aural perfection. That doesn't make them bad records. I had almost all of them, and they made me wanna go see Bob Seger shows. So they must've had something going for them.

Frankly, the better-sounding his records got, the more formulaic he became. I was on board up through Night Moves; after that, it just seemed like the same record over and over again. As a fan, I was happy to see him finally make it. Good for him, but not for me.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  10. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Seriously, one of the best live albums of all times. Bob and the band were TIGHT and firing on all cylinders!

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, I'm a Bob Seger System fan, straight up.

My interest had long since peaked, by time of the Silver Bullet stuff. I just about ruined my voice trying to cover 2 + 2 when it was in the charts.

I never got to see my band, though, live.

Jim W likes this.
  12. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

The lead on Main Street is great. Never understood why his band does it live with a horn.

ruger9 likes this.
  13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

It is great, but it's double great with a sax. Rock n roll has been missing sax for a very long time now, only Springsteen really does it anymore (and Seger, but he toured infrequently of late, and is now on his farewell tour)

14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

We play Main St and Turn the Page as part of our current set, love playing the solo in Main St, good overdriven/saturated sound and a wee but delay, sweet little solo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.