Bob Seger

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vfc13, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe one of the best songs ever written and recorded. I spent many a night trying to figure out the meaning life listening to that song. The tragedy of old age is finding out the truth, there is no answer to that question, life just is.

Stringbanger, ruger9 and gimmeatele like this.
  2. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

One of my favourites:

Joe Walsh played the great solo, I believe. Ace drumming, too.

ruger9 likes this.
  3. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

Another great song of his

4. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Bob Seger has been one of my favorites since the first time I heard Old Time R and R. I dug in and went back through Night Moves (somehow I missed this one when I was 16), Live Bullet, Beautiful Loser, and everything I could get my hands on back to Ramblin Gamblin Man. Some were out of print.

What a great and underappreciated writer he is. Live Bullet showcases the best of his early material, with better sound quality than those early records.

The music he put out from 74 to 82 is mind boggling. (Edit: Turn the Page was on Back in 72, which actually came out in 73; so make that 73 to 82.)

I finally saw Seger live on his next to last tour. He's been incredibly loyal to his band members, many of whom have been with him almost forever.

I read that when he formed the Silver Bullet Band, they made an informal deal that Seger would record only with that band and a group of studio musicians, including Pete Carr, he had used in the past.

I wonder what happened to Drew Abbot, who played lead guitar on Live Bullet. At some time in the 80s he got mad about Seger using some LA studio guys who weren't part of the informal deal, so he quit. I'm guessing that wasn't a good career move.

ruger9 likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

AOR MVP.

Alcohen likes this.
  6. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

Saw Bob on the 'against the wind' tour in '79 or '80. I ate it up like candy. The first time I'd seen anything like it. Been a big Bob fan ever since, but I prefer his older stuff.

electrichead likes this.
  7. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

It shows our demographic, but my first thought was the hearing loss the bass player must have from standing right in front of the overhead directional tom and next to the crash. Ouch.

Second thought was, huh, no beard.

Third was, damn, Seger was good. I wore out the live Bullet album playing guitar to it in my yout (yute?).

getbent and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ute? as in Pickup Truck. Or Youth as in Young.:)
    A lot of those songs still hold up today with 20 somethings that may have never heard them.

Richie Kotzen was asked up by the house band and played a cover of Ramblin Gamblin man in this youtube clip and the place went from a whisper to a roar. It's pretty rocking for an impromptu performance.

getbent and ruger9 like this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The first 3 songs i learned to play were Seger songs because they were easy, cool, and you could really hit the chords hard like he does. I even broke my first string on "Against the Wind".

He really did put on some good live shows, lots of energy and connected well with the audience.

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well it would only be fun for a bit now, he's on his retirement tour now.
    I saw the Silver Bullet band back in the late 70s, Bob and crew put on a great show. He wrote some good songs.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Live Bullet is a great “live” album but then again , they were all overdubbed/cleaned up back then.

Because Bob is an odd duck, a ton of his back catalog is unavailable.

He could have been one of the artists whose whole output was given the deluxe reissue treatment but he shrugged it all off.

Jack White offered to do it all pro bono (!) and put it all out on Third Man records. All the cool stuff most of y’all were never exposed to - pre Silver Bullet, etc.

And again, Bob was like - why bother ?

There was a healthy “fan club edition” black market locally for awhile. Lots of the stuff that you’d play for folks who thought that Hollywood Nights was “old Seger”.
    08BBD3E1-72B1-4BCC-879B-8B838215915D.jpeg

12. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Back in the '70s, Seger used to come down to Ft. Lauderdale a couple times a year and play shows (often with Ted Nugent in tow) on a flatbed truck at the drive-in theater. Good times, and I rarely missed one of those. I was a big fan of all his early stuff... the records he seems to be actively resisting re-releasing these days. It's a damned shame.

Bad, Bob... bad.

13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I finally got around to getting Live Bullet on disc this weekend. Had the vinyl forever but nowhere to set my turntable

Saw him back probably 78 or so opening for Black Sabbath. An odd bill but I liked them both so it worked for me

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it sits on that E chord for a long time IIRC.... The arrangement has to be right or it just sits there...

Skully likes this.
  15. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Some of the best of the early songs made it onto Live Bullet. But not all of them.

I've got three of the first five records on vinyl. There are some great songs. But the recording quality is--and I say this as nicely as I can--awful. Of the other two, which I don't own: Seger was so unhappy with "Noah" that he considered quitting the music business altogether; and "Brand New Morning" was truly a solo record; just Bob Seger singing and playing piano and acoustic guitar.

I don't know how you could clean any of that up to the point where it's worth releasing again. No matter how great the songs are.

I would love to hear new decent recording quality versions of some songs from those albums, not to mention Back in 72, Smokin OPs and Seven, that didn't make it onto Live Bullet and have since then been lost to the sorting process of time.

But I don't want to hear new remastered versions of those bad recordings.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Are you kidding???? Since I was 10 years old. His 2 live albums are a very large part of why I am a musician.

17. ruger9

I believe he also played on Nine Tonight. His guitar playing on those records is a large reason I play.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    PastorJay likes this.
  18. ruger9

Richie Kotzen is the real deal. Fantastic singer (very R&B), great player, great songwriter. His previous hair band/shredding days do his current career a disservice... he's SO much better than that now.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, liked his heavy music, smoking ops and Mongrel work.

20. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Love me some Bob Seger. Go-to music when I need to rock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.