Bob J’s 2021 brotherhood build - thinline

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bob J, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

I think it may be a capacitor issue. When I measure the capacitor in my cheap kit build, I at least get something. This orange drop gives me nothing. I’m setting the multimeter like this
    image.jpg
    whoops, now I’m getting nothing on this one. Stand by

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Capacitors are very hard to test. With an analog multimeter the needle will kick when you first touch the leads, then settle to zero as the cap charges.'

Remember, if you simply remove it from between the pots then the whole tone circuit is disabled and the volume and switch should work. However capacitors rarely "fail".

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

Thanks Freeman, for a moment I forgot what capacitors do (charge up and hold a charge). Looks like I need to spend some time poking around the wires more with my multimeter.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

That is what they do with DC and the battery in your multimeter is DC. What they do with AC is to block DC and low frequencies and "pass"higher frequencies, in the case of your circuit, to ground.

There is a real skill to troubleshooting an electronic circuit with a multimeter. They are handy for measuring voltage levels but you don't have any. They are very handy for measuring the resistance of components and continuity of things like switches but if there is a parallel path you can often be confused. I spent 50 years as an electrical engineer and have to think each time I use a multimeter.

P Thought and crazydave911 like this.
  5. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

Bummer. I was hoping to fix this today. 50 years is a long time…

crazydave911 and Hey_you like this.
  6. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

Update: fixed it just how dad taught me to:
    • Take it apart
    • Poke around and try to figure out what the parts do and if they’re working
    • Scratch head
    • Shrug shoulders
    • Put it back together
    And voila, it works! I get 4 different tones, one from each position of the switch. Needs lots more setup before I can say if it sounds any good.

7. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

One last update for today, spent some time playing it tonight, after properly tuning. Mostly through headphones (so I could crank it up a bit), and switching back and forth between it and my kit tele.

OMG! (and I don’t ever use that expression). This thing is a monster! Sounds so much better than mine!

Now I’m going to have to make one for myself, and upgrade the electronics and pickups in my kit build.

I’ll get the real camera out and do some glamour shots for the wrap up post. Still need to file the nut slots a bit and do final setup (intonation and action), maybe a string tree, but I’m pleased.

8. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

OK, let's wrap this up!
    DSC05227.jpeg
    DSC05234.jpeg
    DSC05229.jpeg
    DSC05232.jpeg
    DSC05228.jpeg

I would like to thank the support and advice from all the folks at TDPRI who helped me through this. Y'all are great!

Particularly:
    @Freeman Keller, @guitarbuilder, @RickyRicardo, @old wrench, @wadeeinkauf, @tewiq, and @peterg, for all the technical advice;

@gitlvr, @CapnCrunch, @photondev, @DrASATele, @PingGuo, @beerguy, @1bad914, and @eallen, for the nice comments and encouragement;

And of course @crazydave911 for his help, sassy comments, opinions and approximately 160 likes in a 167 post thread! Hope you heal up soon and can get back to work, or whatever it is you do in your non-spare time!

It may have been my first real build, but I gained so much "experience" by reading all your build threads and helpful posts over the years.

THANK YOU!

P Thought, BB, crazydave911 and 7 others like this.
  9. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

You have made a beautiful telecaster. The red tortoise shell really sets it off. I had never played a guitar with P90s until my last two builds when I actually discovered I had a set in one of my first builds which I never played. Actually I did not even know they were P90s because they were actually Bill and Becky’s L610. (Bill's take on a P90) (No longer in production). So I didn’t want to use one of my “good” sets of Pearly Gates because I was trying something new on that build and was not sure how well it would go …..so I repurposed these from that old and not very good build. Plugged it in when I was finished and said “what the @#*k is this”? Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) just walked in the room. Here he is with a gold top with one P90 in the bridge. (Believed by many to be a P90) If anyone knows for sure let us know. For sure sounds like a P90. Dusty Hill Dead: Longtime Bassist Dies at 72..RIP

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    crazydave911 and Bob J like this.
  10. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire

That is just a great looking instrument!!! Very well done!

DC

crazydave911 and Bob J like this.
  11. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

Epilogue:

On Monday I dropped the boxed up guitar at fedex for a 2-day ground shipment to LA. My son was going to be off Wednesday and Thursday all day so would be there to sign for it. Wednesday scheduled delivery becomes Thursday, and we are both tracking it as it makes its wa to its new home.

At 6:00pm he gets a text that it’s been delivered, and signed for by someone with the same first and last initials. It wasn’t him. I suggest he check with the neighbors. He goes outside and sees the fedex truck driving down the street, so he chases him down to ask what’s up. The driver says he had no idea how it had been signed, and gave him the package as it was still on the truck.

Sound suspicious?

EC273799-0F74-4E3E-B415-251EE658C2D5.jpeg

The happy ending.

P Thought, steeUK, BB and 3 others like this.
  12. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

A very fine looking instrument, and no surprise as to the outcome. The reason I harp so much on making your own neck is not what it gives the guitar but for what it gives YOU, a confidence that this is not rocker science and you can do it. We may help along the way with ideas but ultimately you fixed it/built it. Nothing in this world is more valuable than knowing you can do IT, regardless of what IT is :D

P Thought, steeUK, BB and 1 other person like this.
  13. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds 101% suspicious to me!!!! Should have got the driver's name and make inquiries at the main office.

DC

14. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

@Bob J .....man, that is a beauty! Looking at your thanks list is a great thing. I believe we have all learned from these talented craftsmen.

@crazydave911 .... I agree 100% with your excellent post. Finding IT, is...well...IT! However, for many, finding out what IT is can be a life long process. I really enjoy reading and learning from those here who have found IT.

P Thought and crazydave911 like this.
  15. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That explains why mine is a complete puzzle to me....

Very cool guitar, @Bob J. Tell your son to wear it out!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.