1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bob J’s 2021 brotherhood build - thinline

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bob J, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

0F4C4504-D7E7-4DC8-BD74-8B90027600A1.jpeg I’m in too. Starting with this.
    It’s a couple of 2x8s I’d glued together previously for a different project (Doug fir maybe?), a maple cutoff from the wood store for the neck, and the small piece of ash also came from the wood store so I could practice finishes on it for my kit build. It’s 1/4” thick and was less than a buck for a linear foot. If I buy another 4 feet I can make a top out of it.
    I also picked up a piece of walnut with plans on using it for a fretboard, but after taking some measurements of the maple, it might just be thick enough for a 1-piece neck, and I can use the walnut for a skunk stripe.

2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I love Doug Fir builds. Good luck!

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Sounds good to me.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

Making sawdust. It’s officially day 1.
    B113906A-0EAC-4064-94AB-82BF96046FFE.jpeg
    cut the lumber down to tele size
    AF479A91-A6D2-487E-8949-0EADBC9292F4.jpeg
    “planed” it flattish with the router sled
    2C1BBDB5-1AA7-43A9-B0A5-4FC05C7A47E1.jpeg
    its right at 1-1/2”. With 1/4” for the ash I bought for the top, I don’t think I want to take it any thinner except what I lose sanding.

crazydave911 and photondev like this.
  5. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

We are having a lot of thinlines being made this year. That doug fir has great character. A lot of guys try to cut out the nail holes or worm holes. I do everything I can to keep them in a place that shows. Just fill the hole with clear epoxy. It adds character.

6. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Good luck Bob, good start!

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

The exact thing I love about using Southern red cedar, the knots alone can tell an entire story

gitlvr likes this.
  8. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

All the thinlines are making me second-guess. My motivation is for lighter weight, and a little more volume when playing unplugged. I was thinking about going sans pick guard, Two “F” holes, and installing the pickups from behind. The ash I got for the top is really pretty and I was thinking to show it off. Given what everyone else is doing (and my relative lack of experience) now I’m thinking of going chambered, no F holes, blackguard on butterscotch. That would still show off the ash, and might raise the likelihood of a beginner being successful.

gitlvr, wadeeinkauf and crazydave911 like this.
  9. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

When I can pick up good lumber, instead of scrounging, which i mostly do, I use White Ash. It can be heavy, so I often chamber. It's a good thing.
    I might be relegated to big box store poplar or SPF for this build, as I can't seem to scrounge anything yet. Got time, though, so I'm gonna hang on a bit before I jump in. See what shows up.
    I passed a big truck full of junk from a local restaurant that was renovating. Did a run back to see if there was wood on the truck. Nada.
    Don't worry too much what everyone else is doing, build what you want and what you think you will love.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Bob, I chamber almost everything I make now days - my personal tele clone weighs 5-3/4 pounds and its a joy to play. I happen to think f-hole(s) look silly on a telecaster, but to each their own. Chambering a guitar will change its unplugged sound (a little) but since none of these sound good unplugged what is the point.

The old build thread for my chambered tele-ish sort of thing has been resurrected and is floating around if you want to take a look.

crazydave911 and gitlvr like this.
  11. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Build what you want to play! Also, a big part of the art of building instruments is dealing with problems, and recovering from errors or other setbacks. Don't worry too much about being successful. I think the biggest thing that I learned in the first one or two guitars that I built, was that when I get frustrated by the speed of my progress, I start to get impatient, and very shortly after that, bad things happen. Be patient, and observant, and you'll be surprised how smoothly things will go.

12. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

11DD9251-15C2-4CF8-9C74-A3C719561E9C.jpeg
    All the lumber.
    E54F890A-90E0-4ED1-8854-C0AE382A86D2.jpeg
    this will be the top
    04CF984E-6F32-40B1-8D89-F56D287FC9D4.jpeg
    Clamping it up.
    My wife asked me once why I needed so many clamps. I almost asked why she needed so many shoes, then I realized just how many clamps I have...

RiversQC and crazydave911 like this.
  13. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yummy!!

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

Top is out of the clamps and cleaned up. 55D123B7-D0B7-4D5B-86C3-C707E487A830.jpeg
    Looks ok. The big question is how much of this do I want to cover up? Abbreviated pick guard like a cut back thinline with 2 F holes? No pick guard and mount the pickups from the back? Regular black guard and just chamber (no F holes)?

crazydave911 and 2groggy like this.
  15. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I flippin love that!
    As for what to cover up, that's up to you, and what you think looks best.
    Most of the guys around here, at least years ago when I was last here, like a traditional look.
    I say go with your gut, though. It's not like there hasn't been a tele with nice grain and a pickguard. You're gonna cover some of it with a control plate anyway.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

If I go 2 F holes I’ll go no control plate, either rear access or fish them through the F hole.

17. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Rear access, F holes or not :)

dpang2836 and gitlvr like this.
  18. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

I suppose I could go with rear access for the pickups whether I use a pick guard or not (easier to swap pickups)...

19. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

Haven’t given up, thinned down my piece of maple for the neck to just over 1”, working on my neck template. Will need to modify it to correct some mistakes and use it to make my real neck template.

thinking about controls, how about no pickup switch, but use push-pulls for the volume and tone, each controlling one pickup?

crazydave911 and dpang2836 like this.
  20. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

Switching may depend on what kind of pickups you are going to use in order to get the most out of them?

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.