1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bob Dylan Fans - Essential Records?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by jaimed, Sep 30, 2010.

1. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Start with Freewheelin'. Then you can boo him for going electric.

I think the best starting album, unless you want follow him more or less historically, is Blood on the Tracks. Besides being awesomely great, it features him as a story teller in a very accessible manner and IMO is great basis for "getting" Bob Dylan. Desire too, I think of them as a pair, and that would a good one to followup with. Then I'd go back to Highway 61 Revisted, key album in his career obviously. Freewheelin' too, at some point you really do have to listen to his pre electric stuff.

2. BedspreadPicnic

BedspreadPicnic Tele-Meister

No Direction Home for DVD's. Martin Scorcesse directed.

3. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

Quite a catalogue to choose from, my must have are -
    Love and theft, Time Out of Mind, World Gone Wrong, Good as Ive been to You, New Morning, Self Portrait, Nashville Skyline.

4. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Those mentioned and I really like this as well:

[​IMG]

5. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Another vote for Desire. I named my dog Isis because of that album.

6. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]
    ;):)

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm a Dylan freak, I love pretty much everything the guy has ever done. One of the things I dig about him is that you never know what you're gonna get, except that it will be Dylan. I love to see him live for the same reason. Some artists or bands are predictable, you know you're gonna get a great show, but it's pretty much the same one for 20 years. Not with Bob. At any given time, he could decide it's gooing to be a country show, or a blues show, or a rock show, or a reggae show, you just can't ever tell when you buy tickets for the tour, what it's it's going to be when yo ufinally see it.

That said, my favorite records are-

Blood On The Tracks
    Hard Rain
    Blonde on Blonde
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Desire
    Nashville Skyline
    The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

If you have the means, get a turntable and find them on vinyl. It's by far the best way to hear them, especially for the first time.

8. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Highway 61 is my favorite, has been since the day it came out and he never surpassed that majestic piece of work,imho. Where did you see Lucinda?

I didn't know that; two of my favorite guitarists means I'l have to give that a listen

I'd have to agree with that list, but as others have said don't miss out on the folk stuff either. I always liked "Another Side of Bob Dylan" a lot.

9. barncat

barncat Tele-Holic

Two to stay away from: "Self Portrait" (probably his worst), and "Under the Red Sky".

10. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

I agree with this quote pretty much. My favorite is Highway 61 Revisited. I like his recent Modern Times too...

11. DeeDub70

DeeDub70 TDPRI Member

Live 1966
    Before the Flood
    Don't Look Back DVD

12. unezrider

unezrider Tele-Meister

hello friend,
    first off, i disagree about the 'stay away from self portrait.' there are some really good tracks on that one. 'days of '49', 'minstrel boy', 'alberta (#2)', 'copper kettle', (my fav version of ) 'the mighty quinn'. that said, you will be doing a lot of skipping on that one. not one to get first.
    i'm with the crowd who thinks 'love & theft' is an absolute must own. & like has been said, pretty much everything he did in the 60's is must own material. including 'live '66.' & if they ever release all that 'basement tapes' (i have 5 discs worth of them. bad sound on a lot of it, though) material like they said they were going to a long time ago - get that, too! a great vibe on that stuff.
    'biograph' is a good place to get some essential stuff like 'positively 4th street', 'knocking on heaven's door', 'percy's song', & probably the best couple of tracks off the album 'shot of love'.
    & for what it's worth, they are releasing a mono box set of his first 8 albums really soon. may be of interest.

13. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

blood on the tracks, live in 1975, desire, disc 1 of the bootleg three disc series are my favorites

14. StephenX

StephenX Banned

hhahaha, I was too cheap to buy stereo, so thats what all of mine are. Didn't go stereo until I was forced to, then I had to upgrade my sound sytem as well.

Oh and I think Self Portrait pretty much sucks except for Copper Kettle:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  15. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Recent stuff -- Love and Theft, Modern Times, and Time Out of Mind.

Classic -- I'd still rate Blonde on Blonde as one of the best albums ever, by anyone. Closely behind -- Highway 61, Bringing It All Back Home, and I have a soft spot for John Wesley Harding.

16. choosymothers

choosymothers Tele-Meister

Big dylan fan- his run of albums(for my money)from 1964-1969 was the greatest ever topping both the stones and beatles- highway 61 is my favorite from this period but i'm suprised that the basement tapes haven't gotten much mention- probably some of the most influential songs recorded in the era ("the mighty quinn" for example)-

17. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

ixnay.

this is:

[​IMG]

from wikipedia:
    Dylan is Bob Dylan's 13th studio album, released by Columbia Records in November 1973.

Dylan was compiled and issued with little input from Bob Dylan himself, using outtakes drawn from the Self Portrait and New Morning recording sessions. It followed the artist's departure from Columbia for Asylum Records, and the much-hyped announcement of his first major tour since 1966. Subsequently, it was seen as a cash-in and even a "revenge" move by Columbia, diluting the Dylan market just two months before the release of Planet Waves, and using two outtakes from the odd and much-derided Self Portrait album. The remaining seven songs are actually New Morning outtakes.
    It is the only non-compilation Dylan album not to be released on CD in the North American market.

18. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The quintessential albums are:

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)

Highway 61 Revisited (1965)

Blonde on Blonde (1966)

Planet Waves (1974)

The Basement Tapes (1975)

The rest are a matter of personal taste IMO.

19. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

Another Side of Bob Dylan.
    The Times They Are A Changing
    Free Wheeling,
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Blonde On Blonde
    John Wesley Harding
    Blood On The Tracks

I think the above are the essential recordings as albums. You can throw in his debut record and also the live 1965 double record set. I know that there are records that came after that many people will love but IMO, they are uneven, though there are great songs along the way, such as "You're A Big Girl Now" and "One More Cup Of Coffee". There are also some real dud records after "Blood On The Tracks".

For electric stuff, the core records IMO are "Bringing It All Back Home", "Highway 61", "Blonde On Blonde" and the live electric side from Europe 1965. The man was on fire. He says now that he doesn't know where many those songs came from.

20. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Blood On The Tracks, Live 66 "Albert Hall Bootleg", Nashville Skyline, Highway 61 Revisited, I like Hard Rain a lot too, but matter of taste... Out Of Time for later day Bob... all i can think of right now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.