1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bob Dylan Fans - Essential Records?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by jaimed, Sep 30, 2010.

1. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Bob Dylan Fans,

Which records are essential?

From Amazon's Community Dylan Bio page:

"Of his more than 30 studio albums, several are considered by rock critics to be among the all-time best,
    including Highway 61 Revisited and Bringing It All Back Home (1965), Blonde on Blonde (1966), and Blood on the Tracks (1975)."

Thanks

Jamie

2. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

Yep, all of those, plus John Wesley Harding, and the two-disc "Essential Bob Dylan" is a nice overview.

3. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

Freewheelin'
    Bringing it All Back Home
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Blonde on Blonde
    John Wesley Harding
    Blood on the Tracks
    The Basement Tapes

I haven't kept up with later releases, like the 'Bootleg Series', but the one of the live show from '66 is fantastic.

4. FingerMullet

FingerMullet TDPRI Member

"Slow Train Coming" has Mark Knopfler playing on all the tracks.

5. Monster Mike Welch

Monster Mike Welch Tele-Meister

Love and Theft for the more recent Dylan. Some people prefer Time Out Of Mind, but Love and Theft is one of my favorite records ever made.

And to be considered "essential," you really need to have Dylan the folksinger better represented. Freewheelin' is a masterpiece, with A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, Don't Think Twice, Masters Of War, and Blowin' In The Wind.

6. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Agreed, Love is Theft is friggin awesome, my favourite album of his since blood on the tracks.

7. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Surprised nobody has mentioned Desire.

I think it would be important to include at least one album from each of his several styles. Off the top of my head, there was his early, folky acoustic style (think "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" and "The Times They Are A-Changing"); then his early electric style ("Maggie's Farm," "Subterranean Homesick Blues"); then his Christian period ("You Gotta Serve Someone"); then the more modern electric style ("Jokerman"); then the two albums of acoustic blues and folk covers ("Blood In My Eyes," "Ragged & Dirty,"); and then his current style ("Love Sick," "Thunder on the Mountain"). Of course, this doesn't cover all the albums - there were some, like Desire, that don't really fall into any category.

If you want to see what songs are on each album, go to http://www.bobdylan.com/#/albums

8. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I never seem to get as much out of recordings if I buy more than one at a time. If you don't own any Dylan records I'd say start with Highway 61 Revisited and enjoy for it a while before you buy another one. Just my two cents.

9. quickIV

quickIV Tele-Meister

Dylan

PLANET WAVES. Recorded with The Band. Fantastic material all around. Once you really start getting into Dylan, though, most of his albums seem essential. Also, check out Live 1975 The Rolling Thunder Revue. Some of the best live stuff out there.

10. BedspreadPicnic

BedspreadPicnic Tele-Meister

Another vote for Desire.

I love Street Legal.

Live 1966 is also essential Dylan.

Nashville Skyline

Hell there are so many great ones.

11. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

+1 for Love and Theft.
    Infidels.
    Hell, I love 'em all...

12. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Gotta agree on Love and Theft. It proves that Dylan is one of the best songwriters in our time.

Infidels is a great sounding record. Mark Knopfler and Mick Taylor on guitars. Robbie Shakespeare and Sly Dunbar as rhythm section. Awesome.

I always liked Desire too.

The original list like Blonde on Blond, Blood on the Tracks. Nashville Skyline etc. are all good.

Dan R

13. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

One I like a good deal is Tell Tale Signs ("bootleg" v. 8). I find myself playing that more than some of his "official" albums.

D.H.

14. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

I always come back to Planet Waves, Blood on the Tracks and Desire.
    (Oh, and John Wesley Harding, Infidels, Street Legal and Love & Theft.)
    Jef

15. Cunningham26

Cunningham26 Tele-Meister

I'm not a huge fan of the Dylan era that Dana Carvey impersonated pretty well on SNL, so my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt, but my absolute favorites are Freewheelin' and his first, self titled album. The latter doesnt really sound like Bob Dylan, but is an amazing tribute to the sounds that would influence his career and songwriting style

16. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

IMO, The records Bob Dylan-Street Legal are his best works. Essential in my mind, but a LOT of material to cover. After Street Legal pickup everything from Time Out of Mind till now. The bootleg series are a must too. Truthfully though I would probably start you off at Blood on the Tracks and Desire. Those are MY favorites.

17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Rage Against the Machine's cover of "Maggie's Farm". It nails the protest song vibe better than Dylan's version.

Someone should compile all the different covers of "All Along the Watchtower" and "Knockin' On Heaven's Door".

18. Cassady

Cassady Tele-Afflicted

If you're just getting in to Dylan, I'd recommend starting at the present with "Modern Times" (my personal favorite of the recent albums) or one of the other current Dylan albums like "Time Out of Mind" and "Love and Theft". That way you'll get a picture of an artist who's still current and very much at the top of his game. His last four studio albums have been excellent.

After that, you can work your way back to the classics.

If you get into Dylan, you've got a whole world of enjoyment ahead since there are so many truly great records in his collection.

I'd like to hear what you end up getting and what your impressions are.

Cassady

19. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

"The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" IMHO, the greatest of all.

20. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

TNX !

TNX y'all for your comments.

Howzabout Dylan DVDs?

Recall "Don't Look Back" from years ago.

Jamie

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.