1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Board stupid

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Hutchwearing6, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Hutchwearing6

Hutchwearing6 TDPRI Member

Hello, all

Intent was to do a neck build for my next project. I have obtained/ retained some neck-sized offcuts - would welcome guidance from the group

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Hutchwearing6

This board was appears to be straight grained down its length but is neither flatsawn nor quarter sawn. The dimensions might work for a 3 piece neck. Does the proposed lamination work or is there a better arrangement you could see?

Attached Files:

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Hutchwearing6

By contrast the end grain on this one looks appealing, but is not quite so straight down the board. Is this workable?

With the current closures of many businesses in the UK, my opportunities to go and source alternatives are a bit limited at present. Both of these are nice woods to work, just unclear if they are good for this task.

Attached Files:

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Riftsawn( not quite quartersawn and not quite flatsawn) will be fine as is. I'd use it just like you have it. What kind of wood is it?

What Is the Difference Between Plain Sawn, Rift Sawn, Quarter Sawn and Livesawn Grain? | Country Plank

crazydave911 and RobRiggs like this.
  5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If it's going to have an angled peg head, be sure to leave a nice, heavy volute on it. I do this on all the angle peg head necks I build and haven't had one of them snap off yet!
    L6SG peghead rear lo-res.jpg 0047.jpg

crazydave911 and Deeve like this.
  6. Hutchwearing6

The other piece that has been reclaimed having previously been varnished I believe to be sapele and have used before from the same plank (2 previous builds)

The riftsawn piece I think was sold as a window cill and has similar ribbon/ pore structure.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

I’d use it as milled. As long as it’s got decent moisture content I think it’s unlikely to cup, twist or warp.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

That wood could also be Bosse, which is very commonly used for windows and doors in Europe. You can tell it apart from sapele by its smell - it reminds me of cade juniper, whereas sapele is closer to other timbers from the mahogany family. Bosse is pretty much the same in terms of workability, although it tends to have a higher silica content, which shouldn't be an issue if you're only making a few necks out of it.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.