1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bluetooth Radiation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ac15, Nov 26, 2016.

1. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

i just bought a Bluetooth headset for listening to tunes. It was an impulse purchase, and when I brought it home my wife was sort of alarmed, and reminded me that we had already decided a while back that radiation from Bluetooth devices can be damaging. For some reason I forgot to consider that when I bought them.

I then searched online, and the evidence doesn't sound promising. Seems that the basis for the claims that it is not harmful is only that it hasn't been studied much yet, but medical professionals warn that you should probably be wary.

I realize that most people don't think twice about it, but we both have a friend who got a benign brain tumor called an acoustic neuroma, on the side of his head where he typically holds the cell phone. He is now totally deaf in that ear. He was a moderately heavy cell phone user, and there is some evidence that this type of tumor can be caused from the radiation from cell phones.

Not sure why I am even posting. Perhaps deep down I am looking for assurances that it's safe, even though most of you guys are just consumers like me, and there seems to be a lot of stuff online about how harmful it is, and you don't have to look hard to find it.

I am thinking of returning them, but then on top of it, my internet research revealed that even regular wired headsets put radiation right into your head through the earbuds, as the wires in he earphones act as an antenna for radiation.

Anyway, ramble over.....

2. demon

demon Tele-Meister

The stress from worrying about bluetooth RF will likely do you more harm than the radio signal itself.

Cat MacKinnon, Tremade, gpasq and 7 others like this.
  3. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Wouldn't worry about it, in one ear out the other

5ofeight and KevinB like this.
  4. Sunburst-T

Sunburst-T TDPRI Member

Unless you are using the headset for extreme amounts of time, I wouldn't worry.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think you're ok. Depending on how wired you are, we are all being bombarded by radiation of some kind, from cell towers, wireless devices, wireless routers. Take a flight somewhere? You're getting an extra dose of cosmic slop. Live in a city and you're inhaling carcinogens from cars and planes, maybe some trains. In a sense, if you're not offline and in the country, you're being immersed in it, and we are therefore all screwed. Afraid of BT? Have you thrown away your cell phone yet? Grab the tinfoil...go all analog and only listen to live acoustic music :)

Not to say there isn't some truth to being wary, but looks like there is still some more work to do...

Cat MacKinnon and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  6. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

My prediction is that you will be hearing more of this... there is a $25 million dollar study on wireless radiation that the NIH recently disclosed. Lab rats who were exposed got a lot of gliomas (brain tumors), the kind of brain tumors on the rise. It's true that we get it everywhere which is why we want to cut down on the exposure we can control. Good luck!

BTW keeping your cell phone about an inch away from your ear cuts down on your exposure quite a bit. Speakerphone anyone?

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Just out of curiosity: are you currently using a wifi connection to get online?

8. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Got WiFi in you home? How bout a microwave oven? Smoke alarms? CO detector? Tv, computer, cell phone? They all give off radiation.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Cell phones radiation studies are somewhat mixed and the radiation is from trying to transmit 10 miles, so my guess is that the minor short distance the Bluetooth is transmitted is extremely minor power requirements compared to cell phones. Headset hooked to the cell phone is pretty good protection from them. WiFi in the home is short distance power requirements as well. As mentioned above, I'd be way, way more concerned about microwave ovens. I think it is smart to keep these radiations limited, because there is a lot of money/investments riding on these consumer goods to keep studies from being influenced.

10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, but you don't hold those things up to your ear. Inverse square law and all that.

11. luckett

luckett Banned

Radiation from the Sun is a scientifically proven cause of cancer. I recommend not exposing your ears to sunlight.

songtalk likes this.
  12. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Where I used to work, which required a fair amount of air travel, I had a colleague that was concerned about radiation from the security screening. I looked into it and found that it was inconsequential compared to the solar radiation you are exposed to in the air. I shared this with her thinking it would ease her worries, but it only made things worse.

I guess my point is that if you look too deeply into this it may cause more anxiety than relief.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

But that wifi signal is strong enough to go 100 ft. The BT is good only to 20 or 30. By the inverse-square law, that makes it 100 times more powerful, so even at several feet the exposure is the same.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

Driver3, DonM, Doorlord and 1 other person like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

One strong blast from Toto's reactor will equal anything you're likely to encounter in the next 17 years. I'd be more afraid of the harm that can be caused by the noxious emissions of a dog who loves chili beans, than I would bluetooth ear phones.

1955 and ac15 like this.
  16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yep. I think I know where you're going with this. You're basically saying (as alluded to in an earlier post) that I'm not avoiding radiation anyway, so what's the difference)?

17. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

We're screwed.:oops:

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I would worry about aliens tapping into your brains however with those.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Yes, that is the gist of it.

20. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Yuk yuk yuk...

It's not funny.

The amount of radiation you are exposed to by holding the phone up to your head is unhealthy. I prefer to hold the phone a foot or so in front of my face and use speaker phone. You're exposed to exponentially less radiation that way.

You can't eliminated all forms of radiation, but a little common sense can minimize the most harmful kinds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.