1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bluesbreaker type pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WrayGun, Oct 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Can anyone help me out and recommend some reasonably priced Bluesbreaker style overdrive pedals? That is, soft clipping without a mid-bump. Something warm and bluesy, that helps tweak up and modulate a clean signal? Don’t need a ton of gain. Thanks for any insights.

2. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

There are some great budget-friendly options. The Caline Orange Burst is great. And someone on here - i think it's Blowtorch, swears by the Mosky BBox. These run about $30 each online.

Also, while you're at it - you might want to give the Caline Pure Sky a spin at $30. It's a Timmy Clone and gives a nice barely there transparent drive.

leonard d rock, 53Strat and stepvan like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, IMO you just can't hardly find anything better. BUT, I don't believe that one is a bluesbreaker-type. It's based on the Xotic BB Preamp, which I don't think is a bluesbreaker type pedal, but then, I've never had a real bluesbreaker pedal.

4. Daddy Hojo

I thought that's what BB preamp stood for, BluesBreaker.

5. blowtorch

Yeah, that's a common understanding , but i don't think that's correct. (I could be wrong, it happened once :))
    I see a lot of comparisons of the Xotic BB (and it's clones, like the Mosky) to the OCD

6. Daddy Hojo

Upon further investigation, I admit I was wrong. Thanks for the education Blowtorch. While the BB-premap (and it's many variants) is NOT a proper Bluesbreaker, it is a great pedal.

blowtorch likes this.
  7. blowtorch

Yeah that Mosky BBox is amazing. And you can find them for twenty bucks. But I have no idea how it would compare with a bluesbreaker pedal.

I also recommend maybe checking out a Joyo Sweet Baby, which is a very affordable copy of the Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive.

Again I don't know how "bluesbreaker-ish" it is, but it definitely is a lower gain warm sounding option. It sounds great.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    moapys, dvh2 and The Angle like this.
  8. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Yeah, I’m looking for that “always-on” magic pedal that cleans up with soft picking and gets an edge when you dig in.

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I'd try something inexpensive to start.. you might not like them that much after all. I feel like maybe it's somewhat hyped up by bedroom playing.

I have a Morning Glory V4 and I think it's about to go.

It is mostly good at making things a lot louder without a whole lot of crunchiness, at least in my setup.

The Klon and Bluesbreaker pedals IME have a lot going on with when you hit the guitar harder they produce louder spikes in volume and less change in the saturation of the overdrive.

When I test at a "gig volume" the presence in the BB style pedal becomes a laser ice pick that wants to chop off your head if you dig in hard. The "hump" on a TS or Klon-style pedal chops the ice pick off the top end. It makes the BB sound good at "bedroom" volume but the TS and Klon circuits much better at "gig" volume.

All depends.. in a recording setup the BB style pedal could be what is needed too, cause there's no reason you need to have the amp that loud to record.

10. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Hmm, that’s kind of the exact opposite of what I am looking for ...

11. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I have a bunch of BB clones including the Wampler Pantheon and for about $50 the Mooer Blues Crab hangs right in there with all of them.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

And it's hard to understand I think but I'm pretty sure when people say "Open Overdrive" that's actually what they mean.

Hit a TS harder and it saturates more without getting that much louder (compressed).

A Klon style or BB style can get a lot lot louder when you hit it harder without actually driving the amp into compression more, depending on the headroom in the amp.

It's a really weird thing. If you're concerned about getting an additional volume boost for a lead tone when you kick on the pedal to rise above a band you might want the pedal to generate more volume.

The 3 families IME:

TS - Largest EQ shift, EQ shift can make the guitar stand out in a band without necessarily getting louder. More saturation & compression as you hit it harder.

Klon - In the middle - it has a somewhat similar EQ shift to a TS (not in the same place but it's there, and gets more pronounced as the gain knob goes up), but compresses less so it gets louder than a TS can when you hit the guitar harder.

BB - Least EQ shift, largest reliance on getting louder when you hit it harder.

Note I haven't owned a ton of drives from each of these "families". The boutique clones of each always shift the characteristics a little. For all I know the JHS Morning Glory is on the extreme end of the behavior of BB style pedals.

I have owned 2 Klones and they both behaved very similarly. (Soul Food and Tumnus Deluxe)

Tim T likes this.
  13. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

The mojo hand magpie will get you there. It's not budget, but neither is it $200.

dvh2 and Gatordad like this.
  14. Daddy Hojo

Here's a video that JHS put out a few days ago explaining the different "types" of overdrive.

15. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

JHS Morning Glory is a modded Bluesbreaker with more output (the original was a comparatively low output circuit). The Xotic Preamp, as mentioned, is a similarly modded circuit. The Honeybee/Sweet Honey/Sweet Baby is also a very nice, warm low gain circuit. A Timmy, if dialed in properly can get you there as well. As as side note, I just read a post from Paul C, the designer of the Timmy circuit in which he recommends turning the treble and bass to FULL CUT positions, then set your gain level, finally dialing up the EQ to taste.

akuster777 likes this.
  16. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Pure Sky by Caline is a great pedal! You can really get some bluesy 60's psychedelicy tones out of it. I paid 27.99

leonard d rock likes this.
  17. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I'm not a budget pedal fan. I'd suggest looking at the Coppersound FoxCatcher - it adds something special. I think I have a NPD thread in here somewhere about it - I was pretty stoked when I felt like I finally "got" what a bluesbreaker is all about after using this pedal a bit.

kevsonic likes this.
  18. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Morning Glory and it is great for low volume and it cranks well too. I run it always on. But like most of the BB pedals they seem to start at around $200. A Marshall Bluesbreaker II looks like its pretty reasonably priced. Probably doesn't have the same mojo as all of these, though. An actual Bluesbreaker seems to run about $400 for some reason. Weird because everyone's take on the Bluesbreaker all fixed the low volume issues with the original so for half the money you get a pedal that is useful. Hmm.

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It's the V1 that Marshall initially made, that IMO has the magical qualities. It's lower gain than the one they made in years that followed. Also, some of the cheaper clones (maybe even many of them) replicate the higher gain V1 that Marshall switched to, and IMO, it just doesn't have the same magical qualities.

The Snouse BlackBox was made 1:1 with the coveted initial V1, and they were selling for ~$100, but it looks like Snouse couldn't keep up with demand, and those are out of stock. Too bad, as that's more than a reasonable cost, to obtain something that sounds just like the real McCoy (and is probably built better than what Marshall made).

The initial V1 is a very easy build from a DIY kit, or at least you should be able to find some folks who are capable of building it. IMO, that's a potentially great approach, since you're just looking at the cost of a kit (and any add'l stuff that it doesn't come with), and then the potentially modest cost of having someone assemble it for you.

...And as far as sourcing components goes, almost everything with the BB is very common and easily obtained.

Si G X, sanfi4u and Chiogtr4x like this.
  20. blowtorch

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.