"Bluesbreaker" styled pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by steam-powered, May 17, 2015.

1. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

I've noticed a number of folks using Bluesbreaker styled pedals (JHS Morning Glory, Analogman King of Tone, etc.) into brighter Fender amps over the past couple years. For some reason I'd always assumed that Bluesbreaker pedals are better into darker amps, that it might be too bright/harsh/brittle into a DRRI, Princeton, etc., yet I just saw some concert footage a couple days ago on youtube, somebody playing a tele into a King of Tone into a Twin Reverb. It sounded pretty nice, not harsh as I would have thought. In the past I always associated such pedals with darker, British-voiced amps, but maybe I've been missing something?

Anybody have any experience with these types of pedals?

2. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

I've only really played with a Mojo Hand Magpie and a Morning Glory into Voxes and Blackstars. The Magpie is a fantastic pedal in its own rite, and if anything tends to be a little darker, IME. I think the MG is a little brighter, but is more generic and frankly....boring.

3. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Afflicted

I have a Chicago stompworks BB clone that I like with a SFPR. It is so low gain you can't get a bad tone out of it. I keep the tone control at about 10-11 o'clock.

Snouse also makes a low cost BB clone that gets good reviews.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Yep Snouse is a class pedal. Best $78 you could ever spend.

I run a VFE Blues King Burn, both it and reg are very nice with tons of adjustment for dialing it in for your amp/speakers.

Anyway BB pedal are closer to a TS than you think, they have a mid hump it's just a wider range mid hump with a little more lower mids in the mix and traditional as previously noted lower overall gain than most TS.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  5. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Interesting, that would explain why I see folks with Fender amps using them so often these days. Not sure why, but I'd always assumed bluesbreaker pedals had flat mids. After looking through my youtube history, the vid I watched was Jim Weider playing live. I could see a King of Tone, not clearly, but it sure looked like one.

6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Is the Xotic effects BB Preamp pedal a Bluesbreaker type pedal?
    Reviews I've seen sound good.

7. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Based more on the actual amp sound than a BB pedal. It's an okay pedal, but much higher gain and more midrange than you'd ever get out of a run of the mill bluesbreaker.

8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Snouse. Spot on clone of the original and inexpensive to boot. As far as I'm concerned, its the best one on the market.

9. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

aion electronics makes a pretty nice pcb for the blues breaker, lets you mix and match some features nicely. I built one with early v1 specs, the 250K gain pot and treble trimmer from the king of tone, and the output gain stage of the morning glory ... very nice outcome on that one. only ditched it when I finally found the magic diodes for a king of tone build at a price I could justify.

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, the BB is primarily a hotrodded TS! The 1st gain stage is 1:1 w/all components in a TS, except for a 1 meg gain pot instead of the TS's 500K.

...The 2nd stage is like a hardwired (again verbatim) TS tone circuit. Instead of a 20K tone pot, there is a hardwired combination of 19K and 1K resistors that amount to the tone knob being set "very counter-clockwise."

The 3rd stage is a fairly moderate gain boost, w/no real tone shaping other than rolling off some treble.

The bass and treble controls are active Bandaxall types, and actually have all the same values for the RC/AC/BB.

There are also input and output buffers, just like a TS. There's just no buffered bypass.

The AC and RC are built on the same circuitboard. These two do not have the hardwired TS tone circuit, nor do they have the boost stage after it.

...The AC has a trio of soft clipping diodes that's a little more like the SD-1, and it has a very basic hardwired low pass filter on the output of that first clipping stage that removes treble above 160Hz before going into the Baxandall tone circuits.

The RC has six soft clipping diodes (two series trios in antiparallel) - more diodes in series = less clipping (all else equal - they're they same type as the AC & BB). The RC has the components for the low pass filter on the output eliminated, and the gain pot value is halved (AC has 500K TS'ish value, RC has 250K).

...Since there's only two op amp stages with the AC and RC, the clipping stage also doubles as the input to the Baxandall circuits. It might seem minor, but Xotic resorted to the "inverting input" for the OD/clipping stage. There is a high pass filter on the input of the OD stage, and it is a bit lower than a TS - only 160Hz vs ~720Hz.

I have to say that it's kind of clever how Xotic used a bit of modular overlap for all 3 of those pedals, especially since two of them are built on the same circuitboard.

...But IMO, the BB really does have what amounts to a "TS front end." There is really no difference at the OD stage, or the stage that "shapes the EQ just like a TS."

I'm NOT saying that Xotic copied the TS, but really just trying to point out that if there's a claim of apeing a Bluesbreaker amp itself with those OD circuit foundations, it really has zero in common with the actual Marshall amps (IMO). I'd argue that a Rat actually has an EQ filtering that is closer to the old Marshall bright channel in particular, and it's higher than the TS's ~720Hz.

FWIW...YMMV. :)

11. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

My Marshall BBII sounded very good through my lame Blues Jr.

Sold the amp, still have the pedal - if that tells you something.

12. artdecade

It says to me that Jeff Beck and Noel Gallagher must love lame amps...? :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jack Clayton likes this.
  13. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

+1

14. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

YUP :D

It (imho) all depends what pedal you run through it, because my stock 2005 Blues Jr had theee most boring dirt tone.
    And my 1966 Bassman kills is in the clean tone department.

15. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I think those are Pro Jr amps in the Jeff Beck pic.

I've got a couple of GGG BBv1 clones with 250k gain pots and the "alternate values" mod. Very under-rated pedals for low gain MIAB tones. They have a ground-glass quality to the dirt that you don't often hear in that gain range. I've used them into BF/SF and tweed Fenders with good results.

16. artdecade

You could be right... Ooops! :D

17. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I have a KOT and its definitely not bright or harsh through Fender amps.

18. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

I built a GGG Bluesbreaker clone. It is a touch bright, but I like treble. It sure does give a sweet tone to my guitars especially my Strat. Remember also that it is fairly low gain pedal. Plays nicely with other pedals if you are looking to get more distortion.

19. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

After I checked out a couple Snouse demos on You Tube, I couldn't order one fast enough.

20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.