Blues: who carried a blade?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm re-reading Wolf's bio. What a fascinating voice, man, and time and place the world was blessed with. (I almost said "gifted with". Strongly dislike that phrase.)

I read a lot nowadays by dipping in here and there. It's easy when the subject is Wolf, as everything is interesting.

Such as knives. Every other page seems to have one guy pull a blade on another. Even Wolf carried one.

I'm sort of getting a feel for the knife situation in the Chicago blues scene of the late-40s-70s. But I wonder if anyone knows much about the knife culture in other blues styles?

2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have no idea about the "knife culture" in Blues, but I know that most people I associate with carry knives.

I carry a knife at all times for various needs and reasons. I have a modest collection. I didn't intend to collect knives but after the number got to around 20 or so, I realized I was a knife collector. Most are work knives but I have a few others. My father bought each of his sons a commemorative knife from the 1992 IBEW Centennial convention in St. Louis. That one sits in a box and has been opened about eight or nine times but never cut anything. I bought one in Paris. Very slender and quite nice. I have a spring assisted Kershaw I carry when I dress formally. Most of the time, however, I carry an all metal Klein wire skinning knife. I found one when I was working on a utility pole out of my hooks. It had been left on a crossarm and I guess the previous owner forgot it. One side is heavily sun bleached and the blade is a bit rusted. Kinda cool, though. I lost my favorite knife which is the Kershaw my son gave me. I hate that.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Skydog1010, Jim622, cyclopean and 7 others like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I know Leadbelly had a notable scar across his throat from getting in a scuffle

That was in the south though

And like torren61 says knives are utilitarian and many people are likely to have them

4. Larry F

I think Junior Wells saw a woman cut the throat of another woman at a gig. They were nurses, and the weapon was a surgical blade.

Then there's the old south side story, where a guy walks into a club, slams a woman's decapitated head on the bar, and says, "I'll have a whiskey double and the b*tch will have a beer." True? Not hardly. It's been told by many people, including Mike Bloomfield.

5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I read that as "wife skinning knife"... you should have seen my face! Hmmm... I may have issues. Thankfully, I'm single. So it's less worrisome. o_O

I practically always have a tiny Swiss army knife on me. Since I was a kid, I've always had one. If I don't have the knife with me, I get that feeling like I've left my mobile phone somewhere.

6. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

7. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Meister

Always carry a knife...since forever. It is a tool I use every day. I don't know how many I have...but I wouldn't say I'm a collector as most get used and then tossed in a drawer at the end of useful life or when another takes my fancy. Perhaps that makes me a knife hoarder?

8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

They played some rough joints in some bad neighborhoods ... I would think carrying a knife was more of a necessity than a choice ...

Slap Axe, Skydog1010, stevemc and 3 others like this.
  9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I carry a pocket knife every day.
    Always have.
    Consider it a farm implement.

I don't think about it as a weapon.

Skydog1010, Bassman8, Jim622 and 4 others like this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

From several movies about blues and some documentaries too, one might assume they all carried a pistol.

telestratosonic and Torren61 like this.
  11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have a conceal carry permit that works across all genres. Keep your knife.

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've got a large pocketknife I carry sometimes. it's a no brand, made in china thing, but it's as solid as a crowbar. I keep going back and forth on carrying a pistol, but I've gone this far without one.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A couple of things...

I joined the IBEW in 1992 and I lost my favorite knife which was also a Kershaw ( I have a Gerber I carry daily )

14. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Knives, like guns are just objects. Nothing to be afraid of. They don’t act on their own. Objects require a person to perform acts of violence.

Most of your large cities are disturbingly violent at times. Chicago seems to be the trendsetter in that area.

Owenmoney, Bassman8, Jim622 and 6 others like this.
  15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Watch out for Annie and Jim

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I carry a Klien 44034 every day. I've probably had 10 of them over the years.

telestratosonic and Torren61 like this.
  17. Larry F

I lived for ten years on the south side. One fear that Bloomfield discussed was gangs of 14-year old boys on the move. I was standing on a corner with a couple of other people, when I hear movement behind. I looked down and saw that one guy had been knocked down and his gold (WTF) stolen. By then, the kids were halfway down the block. The thing that worried Bloomfield about it was that kids that age in a swarm attack sometimes go too far and not know how or when to rein it in.

18. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Knives could come in handy when you lost your bottleneck.

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm never without my Swiss Army Tinker TOOL.....yes, it does have two cutting blades, but also has a bottle opener, flat screw driver, Phillips screw driver, punch, tweezers and toothpick. I can't go in any government or municipal building with it.
    I own an Italian switchblade that my dad had. It was illegal to own in Texas until just a few years ago. I use it as a letter opener.
    For personal protection, I carry a couple of gadgets made by Ruger and Taurus.

20. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Not unusual across styles, more a reflection of time and place. Dizzy Gillespie w/ dismissed from the Cab Calloway band after supposedly “nicking” Cab during a .. discussion.

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.