Blues solo transcriptions

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Larry F, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've been looking through the top 100 or something blues songs. Most are very well known by practitioners and squares alike. I'm finding something interesting things when I can compare them easily and quickly.

Before I go further with the songs, I'd like to have a look at some guitar solos. It shouldn't be hard to find some, but I thought I'd get some input from you guys. Big interest in T-Bone, Otis, Albert King, SRV. If I didn't mention someone, I'm sure I could give a reason why. Maybe not a good reason, but I'm willing to give it a go.

What I need most are sources for transcriptions of these solos. I'm sure I actually have a bunch upstairs, but pain is pain, so I'll wait.

BTW, you can try to convert me into a transcriptionist, but my enjoyment of transcribing is pretty low. (For another take on transcribing, Andy Summers writes about it lovingly and longingly in his auto-bio One Train Later.)

2. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

Try the book "Blues for Dummies", it has some seriously good tabs in it.

3. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Why not write your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASATKat likes this.
  4. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

I have the "Blues Guitar Tab White Pages". This massive book has full transcriptions (including solos) of popular blues songs and will keep you occupied for a while. ;) I recently referred to it to get the solo guitar parts to ZZ Top's "Tube Snake Boogie".

[​IMG]

Larry F and joealso like this.
  5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Duh, I have this upstairs.

KCKC likes this.
  6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

It's popular for people to post transcription in notation and tab and post it on YouTube with sound. Along with youtube's slowdown feature it becomes one powerful tool.

You don't get the slowdown feature when you open a ttf link, you have to go to YouTube, just click on the three vertical dots in the upper right,

This is an amazing jump forward in learning,

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I was going to mention YouTube. I find it faster and easier for blues licks, solo's to just watch and listen to videos that show the fretboard while playing. There are also many lessons on most songs. You just have to find the accurate ones which is sometimes not easy to do.

I hadn't thought of youtube tab video's and using the slow down feature like mentioned above. Great idea.

There is also software that will tab the solo's out for you. I cant remember the name of it. It works ok but I cant stand listening to the midi guitar sounds of the one I tried years ago.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    ASATKat likes this.
  9. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

ASATKat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.