1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Junior vs Classic 30

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by marcbc, Oct 7, 2009.

1. marcbc

marcbc Tele-Meister

For a small basement amp and as a small gig amp what do you think is the better buy? its for springsteen type stuff.

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I think the Classic 30 is a much more dynamic amp than the Blues Junior. Like all small amps, I find the Blues Juniors to be very boxey sounding and lacking depth. I think a Blues Deluxe is a much better amp the Junior and a closer comparsion to the Classic 30.

3. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

love the classic 30. It's the first tube amp I ever played on. Can really hear the wood no matter the volume.

4. Hendrixaxe66

Hendrixaxe66 Tele-Meister

I have to agree with the Classis 30 vote.

I have had mine for close to 15 years now, bought new with a Classic 30 1 x 12 extension cab from Holiday Music in Leytonstone, East London. It has seen me through rehearsals, small gigs (no ext cab) and large gigs (with extension cab) mic'd up as necessary. With channel switching and reverb it offers a lot of flexibility and hasn't let me down once.

Great amp!

5. marcbc

marcbc Tele-Meister

Do you think the classic 30 is hard to find? is it something guitar center normally carries?

6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Classic 30 sounds better, but wait til the Blues Jr crowd wake up, they'll be in here with all their mods and speaker swaps. Let your own ears be the judge.

7. pickinpete

pickinpete Tele-Meister

Classic 30 is the onliest amp I own and I havent really found a need for another.

8. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The Blues Jr is a tiny bit better than a Chump, uh, I mean a Champ. LOL! There, I said it!

9. elmatt

elmatt Tele-Meister

If you are playing Stevie Ray Vaughn covers and are on a tight budget, get the Blues Junior; otherwise my vote is for the classic 30.

On a more serious note, the blues junior will get you a good, but (IMO) boxy, overdrive sound at a very low volume. The classic 30 has more headroom, is louder and much more versatile, especially if you plan on adding pedals. The blues junior reverb is better than that of the classic 30.

10. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

How does the Delta Blues compare? Is is close to the Classic 30 or another animal altogether? I have a chance to get one for $300 with a cover and footswitch. I've heard a lot of great things about the Classic 30 and was wondering if it would be worth the trip.

11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Delta Blues for $300 in good shape , a cover and footswitch ? Stop reading and go get it !

This amp is basically the same as the Classic 30 with Tremelo and a 15 rather than no Tremelo and a 12. , I don't know for sure if they are exactly the same but they are darn close, both 30 watt 4x EL84 amps. I am looking to trade or sell one of my C30's and get a Delta Blues but the plan is to pull the 15 and replace it with a 12.

Nice amp, you will not be disappointed, if you are you can sell it almost overnight for the same price.

t

12. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Classic 20 and a Blues Junior. I like the Blues Junior for clean tones and the Peavey for most everything else. I think both are good amps. Peavey probably has a lead in the reliability department ( not my experience, just TDPRI scuttlebut ).

13. mattbastardson

mattbastardson TDPRI Member

Either are good choices

Take a listen to both amps and decide which one you like best...simple.

I say that joyfully, not disrespectfully. Just play both of them and then decide which one is right for YOU, not US.

I think they're both great amps. I lean more toward Peavey .

Take care, Matt

14. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

The Delta Blues for $300 is a good deal. I actually prefer the 2x10 in this amp to the 15 but both are solid amps. The Classic 30 is good too.

The question is really what are you looking to do with the amp. If you plan to gig or rehearse with a band, you might really need the extra headroom that the C30 or DB give you. But they are larger, heavier amps and might not give you the goods as well in a home or non-gig environment.

15. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

What he said. I chose the BJ, I like the clean sound and reverb a little better on it, and I was looking for a low power home amp. If I planned to play out I would probably get the C30, more flexible with 2 channels, more headroom and still pretty compact.

16. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That is a steal for solid MIA tube amp that sounds great at all volume levels, and is loud enough for large club work, not to mention built-in trem and verb.
    Go get it!

The Classics are not as shimery and delicate as the BJ. They are sturdier in sound and construction. Only the BJs reverb is better, but only if you're using it for dripping wet surf tones.

17. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, but I've played thru all the Classic series amps, and the BJr. gives ME the kind of tone I'm looking for. But, that is the key-what tone are YOU looking for?

I want sparkly clean for classic country tunes, and the Fender (IMO) beats the C30 hands down. The C30 does have 2 channels, something the BJr doesn't, so that can be a plus. But I use a Bad Monkey OD for my "dirt" and I'm pleased as punch with my tones!

Either amp should work for you, the cleans/reverb are definitely better on the Fender, but you get a few more "perks" with the C30.

Best of luck in your choice...

18. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I know both amps quite well, actually the lead singer (who also plays rhythm guitar) in my band uses a BJr. (and we do quite a few Springsteen songs...)
    BJr. has much better clean sounds; C30 has better "classic rock" OD sounds (and is louder) - but for Springsteen-ish stuff, even the OD tones, I'd still prefer the BJr.; if you're playing with a full band (rhythm guitar, rock drummer, etc.) and need clean sounds at those levels, you'll very likely have to mike the BJr., though...

19. gregory

gregory TDPRI Member

classic 30 is vastly superior to stock blues jr

20. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted

With the "...small basement amp..." part of the original post considered as the weightiest, I suggest the Blues Junior.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.