Blues Junior vs BassBreaker 15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by maplebeans, May 21, 2017.

1. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My vote is the Blues Jr. We played 2 of them stock except for the speakers for years. After I acquired a totally trashed one for free I started rebuilding it & modding it. Then I re-did the 2 original ones. Last year I totally revoiced all three of them away from the " make it sound like a BF Princeton" mods. Now they lean towards the tweed side of the street. Done some for friends including one guy who tells me he no longer plays his other amps because he likes the Jr's tone so much.

maplebeans likes this.
  2. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

I'm on Team Bassbreaker 15. Both the singer/second guitarist in our band and our bass player own Blues Juniors. (Not that they use them in the band; certainly not the bass player.) They're great amps, but I'm not all that into the sound for *my* sound. I like the flexibility of the gain stages on the Bassbreaker and I prefer the character of it's grit, as it were.

maplebeans and JustABluesGuy like this.
  3. maplebeans

maplebeans Tele-Meister

What mods did you do?

4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Filter caps, coupling caps, adjustable bias, Bill M reverb & twin stack mods, revoiced the tone stack & the Reverb circuit. I'm partial to Eminence Red White & Blues speakers in these amps. Currently I'm running a Tung Sol RI as V1, Sovtek 5751s as V2 & V3, & EH EL84 power tubes in mine.

5. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

I believe both would be a good amp. As far as modding the Blues Junior, that is nothing more than internet fodder. I just bought the Lacquered Tweed with the Jensen & couldn't be happier. It never even crossed my mind to replace the tubes which I normally do. I'd like to hear more about the Bassbreaker too though. Both amps seem solid at their price point.

6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Sounds like the Artist 15 (or Artisan if you are in the handwired budget range) might do for you -- on full gain it's still just crunching, whereas the Studio HT 20 is into full heavy-metal mode long before that.
    I seriously considered the Artist 15 before buying an AC15C1.

7. maplebeans

maplebeans Tele-Meister

Used my junior at band practise. Loved the portability and was happy with my tone. I think this will get much more use away from home just because it's so much easier to haul around over the ac15. That said it sure does sound great combined with the AC 15.

8. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Had a BJr, hated it ... have a BB15, love it. Just my opinion.

9. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I was planning to buy a Blues Jr. when I played a BB15 for the first time. I went home with the Bassbreaker.

Not knocking the Jr., but definately prefer the Bassbreaker.

10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

How bad do you want to sound like a fake Marshall, and why not buy a real one?
    Blues Jr. at least sounds authentic.

11. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry, was your post directed at me?

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

No, the OP.

13. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

I have both the Jr and the BB (and I also have an AC10). I've used these in stereo in each combination, and also in a three amp-mid dry setup. Any combination of these sound really really good. Some thoughts:
    • The BB has a very nice clean sound with the bright switch engaged. It's not quite Fender, it's more clean Marshall. It has plenty of high frequency, just not as jangley as the Jr.
    • My Jr is modded. It is the perfect grab and go amp in size, weight, power and tone now. It was *almost* there stock.
    • The BB does not have any issue with the effects loop and it's an early serial number.
    • I think my favorite combo for stereo, but not by much, is the BB and the Jr. Next would be the AC10 and the Jr.
    Mike

14. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Thats alot less common on the later runs as they have been doing the fix out the door. The earlier ones were notorious. If both effects loop jacks are metal its an older noisy one..one plastic is the newer quiet ones.

15. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

True. But that's roulette. Never know if you'll get a newer one or older one in the box. Guess you could always return until you got the right one.

Not to say I don't like the series. The 007 and the 45 both have my attention.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.