Blues Junior vs BassBreaker 15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by maplebeans, May 21, 2017.

1. maplebeans

maplebeans Tele-Meister

I'm looking to get a new amp to compliment my AC15. Both to use in Stereo with the AC15, as well as just something as an alternative.

I've narrowed it down to a fender, but am having a hard time deciding between the blues junior and the Bassbreaker.

I like the clean tone and overall brightness of the blues junior, and find the bassbreaker overall a little darker. However I am finding running in the medium gain structure on the bb gives me a little more of the brightness I'm looking for. I'm also able to get the blues junior for about $150 less, which makes it more compelling.

As for the bassbreaker, I like it's versatility, however I'm not sure how much I'd use it. I've never had an effects loop, and I'm not really a high gain player. That said I've found some good sounds on the medium and low gain structures.

So that all said, which would you recommend, especially considering I plan to keep a vox? Is the bassbreaker too much of the same? Or should the blues junior really be forgotten about now that the bassbreaker is out.

I appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance for chiming in.

2. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

The blues Jr is tried true and tested. It takes pedals very well, has a real spring reverb and has many many mods available if that's your kind of thing.

I think the blues Jr and Vox will complement each other more. Especially if you have stereo FX. They are both clean paltforms with a good dirt component to them. Just my opinion obviously :)

unbridled likes this.
  3. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Also, the FX loop on the bassbreaker has been documented as being really noisy.

stratoman1 likes this.
  4. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Blues Jr. I tried both when amp-shopping recently and like the sounds from the Jr more than the Breaker.
    From my point of view the gain structure control on the BB isn't something I'd mess with mid-gig so I'd take the BJ's lightness, simplicity and spring reverb.
    (For the record I bought an AC15C1 so seems to me you're starting from a good place!)

5. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Blues jr no contest. Take the $150 and upgrade bj speaker and if you can solder add some mods and it will destroy the blues breaker.

6. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

The issue has been fixed.
    Stop spreading urban legends

brbadg, swany and Chanan like this.
  7. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Really depends on how you're running them. A lot of people like to run their multi-amp setups where one is heavier gain and one is clean. Marshall + Vox is very popular in that type of combination (Fender and Mesa are also very popular). In that scenario the BB would obviously be the better choice.

Otherwise the BJ is probably the better choice.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Don't take it personally bud, just my experiences with the amp.

mtown likes this.
  9. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

BJ = Fendery
    BassBreaker = more Marshally

BluesBaby 22 or 45 = great upgrade, if you have a BJ cabinet :p

10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

No problem.
    When I was looking for an amp I contacted Fender, they said the problem was fixed, which also means they admitted to it.
    Just trying to stop forum people to feed on each other to perpetuate something that doesn't exist anymore , supposedly

brbadg likes this.
  11. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Does not mean that there are not 'unfixed' models still floating around. And just because fender claims to have fixed it does not mean they fixed it well lol. So I think its still important to say.

12. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Why buy an amp that needs a new speaker and circuit modifications in order to sound great?

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply buy an amp that actually sounds great without needing to be so radically changed to get it there?

I don't get it.

13. JustABluesGuy

Either one of these fine amps will probably work quite well for you. It really comes down to YOUR personal preference, regardless of the strong opinions coming from either camp.

14. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the person and the amp and the sound you're after. Some players have a certain specific sound they're after that just doesn't quite exist in any amp. If everybody abided by your theory, 90% of the amps on the market today wouldn't exist. Virtually every tube amp design currently being made started its life as a player hotrodding/modifying another amp. Famously, marshall amps started as hotrodded Fender Bassman amps. Fender amps were even modified copies of standardized circuits (though not other guitar amps).

Marshall came from somebody modding, Mesa, Friedman, PRS, Dr Z, etc etc.

Really only Fender, Vox, Hiwatt and Orange can fully claim to have not started life as a hotrodded version of another guitar amp.

Now, if you're not somebody who enjoys modding, yes it's kind of a silly way to go about things. So many amps exist today that some amp will get you close enough and you don't have to spend hours doing something you don't actually enjoy doing.

What I do advise against is modding as a way to save money. Typically the savings are fairly marginal and if you count the time value of the time you spent, usually you come out behind.

For many it's finding the right balance for you. For example on my ac15, I don't mind upgrading the tubes and changing out the reverb tank. Those were simple, quick, easy, enjoyable and made a noticeable upgrade in the sound quality. However, speaker and tone stack upgrades are more than I'd want to venture into, personally. At that point I would probably just by a Dr Z amp. But people who enjoy modding might actually prefer an amp they can tinker with. That's why 5e3 builds are so popular.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  15. Toosday

Toosday TDPRI Member

I just went through the same process and wound up with the blues jr. I think a better option than the BB15 is the 18/30 but I did not get a chance to try one.

16. JustABluesGuy

I understand the desire to tinker and build stuff, but if I had such special amp needs and tinkering desires, I would just build my own dream amp from scratch, or order a booteek amp that has exactly the mods desired.

That just makes a lot more sense to me than buying a new amp that doesn't meet my needs, and knowing before I buy it that it doesn't.

I'm not dissing tinkerers or tinkering, but it's not really my thing. I prefer to find something that works out of the box, and then just play the hell out of it!

By all means tinker on. I just found it odd advice to tell a stranger to buy a certain amp and then immediately change it into a different amp.

That's just not very useful advice to offer a stranger trying to decide between two amps. Basically a third amp is being thrust into the equation that the OP can't even try out until after they have voided the warranty by modding it.

Between modding friends that have a history and know each other's tastes, such advice might be very handy, but not so much here.

17. maplebeans

maplebeans Tele-Meister

Thanks for the insights everyone. I'm leaning towards the junior. It's more the sound I'm thinking of in my head.

Just wondering if I had spent enough time dialing the bassbreaker in or if I should be looking for a more gainy tone to compliment my vox better.

As for mods I'm not likely to do any off the bat but I have been known to experiment with speakers in he past. None the less good to hear there are options.

I'm going to give them another go but if nothing changes I think I'll go for the junior and put that 150 in my pocket.

18. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Running in stereo with that set-up you shouldn't find any need to change a Blues Jr speaker or do mods. The amp has a lot of top end but the tone controls work really well and it's a great clean starting point with the treble on 2 or 3 and presence rolled down to 4 approx so it doesn't get harsh.

I never ever liked the effects loop sound on any amp and usually run stereo through an old Boss Chorus that splits into the front end of each amp with minimal effect.

Blues Jr is a great amp for loud bands in small clubs IMO. My other favorite aside from a twin I have was a Peavey Delta Blues with a 15, also a boat anchor to carry.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  19. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

"Wouldn't it make more sense to simply buy an amp that actually sounds great without needing to be so radically changed to get it there?"

like a Traynor YVC20

waparker4 likes this.
  20. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

The BJ is a good pick but a Classic 30 might be a better bet. I own both and find myself using the C30 more. I have a lot of amps and almost bought a Bass breaker. It won't get any where near clean at the volume levels I play. You might also try a GVT 15 112. Another amp I use.

emisilly likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.