1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Junior Tweed or Black version 4

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Guitaryellow, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

I'm about to buy one of these, tweed looks great, the 4 is tweaked I believe.
    I'm buying to rehearse, gig and live with, my heads/cabs will take a back seat due to my back.
    Your advice would be appreciated as always.
    Where I am there's a £40 difference between the 2, thus not an issue.
    Or are the older models better?

2. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Blonde...:)

3. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

This is probably a pretty obvious (and potentially unhelpful) answer, but have you - or can you - play both? If it were me, I guess I'd be looking at the tweed one, but I listen with eyes sometimes - even though I shouldn't.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Guitaryellow

Unfortunately where I live there's nothing, I had a pro junior briefly many years ago and a friend's 60 watt blues deluxe which was either off or on (volume) for a while.
    Thus not totally inept with Fender, however for blues/rock and party music the tweed has a Jensen against an obviously more british version 4 with the bass altered, someone on here would have now played version 4 and will will be able to comment on the Jensen with Rock.

5. Guitaryellow

No bedroom players please, live environment only with constructive comments.
    If not for my back I wouldn't touch one however it is what it is.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  6. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Tele-Meister

Blues juniors are great amps, but purely for your money's worth here I'd go tweed - I imagine you'll find them cheaper on the second hand market compared to the new Blues Junior IV. Plus, I loved my tweed Blues Jnr so much so that I'm still ampless having been unable to replace it after impulse selling it.

The great thing about the Blues Juniors is they are easily modable - there are tonnes of replacement speakers available!

Guitaryellow likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If concern for your back is paramount, consider a DV Mark solid state. Jakedog has a recent post here with a demo that is GREAT. (course, it helps if you're a dynamite player)
    BTW....I have and gig with a Blues Junior III.....dead stock. (black Tolex) Best amp I've owned this year!

Guitaryellow likes this.
  8. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The tweed has a few tweaks don’t they?

9. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I played a Jr for years live with a blues trio. Surprisingly loud little amp! I'd go tweed, for the looks. Higher gain stages do not interest me.

nojazzhere and Guitaryellow like this.
  10. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

I was advised by a Fender employee that the tweed is a III with Jenson.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. jimilee

So it is the NOS version then? I’d play both somewhere if possible and see what you think. I haven’t played out in 4 or 5 years, but I owned the tweed, and have A B the two before I. Bought it. There is really a negligible difference. I bought the tweed because I wanted tweed and not black.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

This comparison is good, but it's a tweed vs the III...

13. Guitaryellow

What is the NOS, new old stock?

14. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

I own the Tweed with Jensen. I love it. It is a gigging amp for me. I owned a 90's green board. Did all the BillM mods, but I have to say this BJ-III tweed version is by far better sounding and more versatile for me as a gigging musician.

nojazzhere and Guitaryellow like this.
  15. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

If said Jensen is their vintage alnico P12Q, it is both lighter and less efficient than than a ceramic speaker. I have one in my Princeton (33lbs) and love it. The alnico is warmer with a round bottom end but flabbier if pushed hard without turning down the bass. The highs are more crystalline and harmonic but can get ice picky. On this side of the pond, a popular BJ mod is to replace the speaker with an Eminence Cannibis Rex if it's not already stock. Both my Tele and Gretsch love the Jensen but I'm not up against a drummer and can't play loud in my current band anyway. For rock, your ears may like a ceramic but your back will love the alnico.

16. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

The extra money buys you tweed and an upgraded speaker. That's about it. If you like the tweed cosmetics and the speaker that comes with it then do that. If you don't care about the cosmetics and you also don't care for the speaker that comes with it then buy the black version and spend the extra money on a speaker of your choice.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What does constructive comments only mean?

For live use the BJR is kinda neither fish nor foul IME. Too loud for home and too quiet for anything but quiet rock bands, unless you are always mic’d. Or maybe medium rock if you’re the only guitar and ok being raggedly broken up all the time. I had one briefly with my band. Always a tweaner and moved on.

I’d look up the speaker specs and pick the version with the more efficient speaker with a more present EQ, if I were wedded to the BJR. My gut says IV but who knows.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Slightly off subject, but applies nonetheless. Bear in mind, when comparing two different amps, side by side or not, there will probably be differences, even if they are exactly the same model. So it can be difficult making general statements about your comparison. My Blues Junior III may sound much different from yours, or someone else's. So if you can play an amp, and like it, you can then say "Amp X sounds better than Amp Y... TO ME"
    FWIW....although I really like my Blues Junior III, I sure like how the tweed one looks!!!!

19. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Actually to my mind it's only good for one thing and that's the Blues. That's why it's named the "Blues Junior" and not the "Rock Junior" and it does that genre extremely well whether mic'd or in a small to medium venue. There are tons of amps that can do ear shattering Rock better than the BJ (I've got a Boogie for that} but there are not so many that can do down and dirty old time Blues the way this one does.

20. jimilee

you’re right, that’s really all it comes down to. What sounds beat to the user. I like the warmth of the Jensen speaker.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.