Blues Junior III vs Tweed NOS vs all other variants

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by amp4942, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. amp4942

amp4942 TDPRI Member

I am looking at getting a Blues Junior, and am mainly deciding between the BJ III and the Tweed NOS. The NOS is $70-80 more and has a different finish and speaker. Is it worth the extra money? How well does each take pedals? Other variants are up for debate as well.

For background, I am using a Baja tele and a Classic Series 50's lacquer strat. Pedals are: Big muff with tone wicker, Ibanez TS9 tube screamer, MXR dyna comp, MXR carbon copy, and an MXR Phase 90.

Thanks

2. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I got the tweed nos because I really preferred the tweed covering and also thought the Jensen speaker sounded better. If you didn't care about the tolex, and were going to swap the speaker out later, then obviously you can save a bit.

Fendereedo and Ira7 like this.
  3. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

If you don't want to do anything to the amp like change speakers get the tweed .. it sounds better out of the box. They make a version of this amp with the C.Rex stock ... which is my preference for a number of reasons.

Check a few models out before you plunge.

Ira7 likes this.
  4. amp4942

amp4942 TDPRI Member

Okay, thanks. I've been too a few local Guitar Centers and they all only had the tweed, which I liked, but I wanted to hear about the other one's too. The one with the C-rex looks like a good option. Same price as the standard. How well does it take pedals?

5. amp4942

amp4942 TDPRI Member

Ok, I will look into that. Thanks!

6. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

Also... That amp is powered by EL84's.
    Some people love the tone of EL84's.... do some don't. If you like EL84's then you will really bond with the amp's vibe.

Blues JR Takes pedals fine.. There is a lot going for that amp i.e. the reason why so many people love and play it.

hs0504 and savofenno like this.
  7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Every review I've seen from people who've demo'd both say the upgraded speaker in the Tweed blows the standard BJ away for the minimal extra cost. Not to mention the gorgeous tweed.

This is a no-brainer for the very few extra bucks.

troy2003 likes this.
  8. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

One of my biggest regrets is selling my late 90s/early 00s Pro Jr (regular black tolex edition.) It is a very nice amp -- at living room levels, it is just so beautiful and clean, and it takes pedals magnificently. I'd love to hear one of the tweed ones.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

This amp is not simply a living room level amp.

15 pure tube watts can be ridiculously sufficient in most gigging sutuations. Even if your drummer is an a-hole.

kcolyar, troy2003 and bsman like this.
  10. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Oh, I know. I played a holiday party of over 200 people with that amp and had no problem!

11. Henry Mars

Every pedal I use including an EH organ pedal works just fine.
    No issues. I don't play metal so I don't know if it would work for some of those pedals nut this amp really isn't designed for it anyway.

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I've had my tweed for nearly a month now, and it's probably the best by far of all my amps. Really warm gorgeous tones....what more do you need?

Henry Mars likes this.
  13. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

My 90'S Pro Junior is a great sounding amp....glad I kept it...even after blowing the speaker cause it is so loud !

14. kcolyar

kcolyar TDPRI Member

Just bought the NOS Tweed a day ago. I have about 15 minutes of playing time on it. Was going to get the Bassbreaker 15, still wondering if I made the right decision

15. Henry Mars

Yes you did.

16. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I have the tweed and had the Blues jr. III too. The Tweed is the best and shines at band volume.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had one with all the mods and a C-Rex and it was fine and the C-Rex handled what it needed to handle and it boosted the clean headroom and zippa-dee-dee...I sold it.

In retrospect I'd take an old Pro Jr w/ reverb and delay pedals any day over it.

Just me - have fun.

18. vegie1

vegie1 Tele-Meister

My advice would be to get the cheapest jnr you can and get a bigger cabinet for it

19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've been trying all kinds of Fender amps lately including the Bassbreaker 15, PRri '65 & '68, plus various versions of the BJ III. The Bassbreaker is more flexible in terms of the gain switching, but I just didn't feel that the clean tone was anything like I imagine a 'Fender clean' to sound. I already have Marshall, Vox and Orange heads for various dirty tones anyway, so I'm after a portable clean Fender sound.

I found a used BJ III Tweed on line last night and it's being delivered tomorrow. I preferred the Tweed over the standard black Tolex, but this is due to the speaker. 'My' BJ has a Greenback speaker in it, so I will have to see how it sounds with that in it. Worst case I will buy the correct Jenson C12N for it and sell the Greenback on, so I shouldn't be too out of pocket. I wanted the Tweed version as I prefer the looks over the Tolex version and this one was cheaper than most local Tolex used sales I found, yet it came from a dealer so at least I'll have some comeback.

kcolyar likes this.
  20. kcolyar

kcolyar TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.