1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Jr's suck?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telejnky, Oct 19, 2013.

1. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I love love love my BJIII. I did change the speaker to a Cannabis Rex and I replaced the reverb tank to a MOD tank The only reason I changed the speaker is because of the cannabis love on TDPRI. The only reason I changed the reverb tank is because I had some PayPal funds from selling pedals on eBay.

So happy with the amp now and I can understand why the stock amp doesn't have love in this thread. Right now the amp is everything I could want in a Fender amp. Next stop, Orange country!

2. dB

dB Tele-Holic

I assume you're taking voice lessons now.

Anyway, I'm glad the OP found an amp he likes, but
    A) who on this board buys a BJr new, and
    B) it doesn't make sense to compare a BJr and DRRI, either for price or function.

Fwiw I got my BJr for $280 and I'm satisfied with it, because I don't expect it to replace my SFVR. It serves a different purpose well. Full disclosure: I do prefer the Emi CR in it.

3. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Seems the BJr is the amp that everyone loves to hate.

I bought a NOS (used) for $350. I had all the BillM mods installed and was fortunate enough to be able to A/B the original, a fully modded at 15w, and a fully modded at 30w.

I chose the 30w. It's got lots of headroom. If I've got my board, I set it fully clean. If I just bring the amp, I set it at slight breakup and use the Fat or Boost switch for solos. Had him install a footswitch jack, too.

For me, it's the perfect grab and go and practice amp. Lightweight with both really fine cleans and nice dirt to dial in. Cuts through very nicely and sounds great with my Strat, G&L, and LP. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I have thought to myself, after years of this being a tweaker amp and several people encouraging others to modify it to make it better....would you really even consider buying a used one? There is a likelihood with this amp, like no other, that you are inheriting a modded amp with the potential of it being a bad mod. Just saying.

5. mysticsiva

mysticsiva TDPRI Member

I love my BJr. I've had it for for around 4 years and its my favorite grab and go amp. The only things I've done to it has been to shellac the tweed, replace the reverb tank and the tubes. It's gotten a little beat up over the years but she still works like a charm. It works for what I use it for and that's all that matters to me!

Attached Files:

6. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

sweet shellac bro...I did my cox with that stuff, makes it rather dark but oh so vtnagey.
    [​IMG]

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't know what all the hate is about.

They are nice little amps for the money.

Got to use one that belongs to a friend. I thought it hit the spot for the gigs I was doing.
    You should hear it through a 4 x 12 cab!

Not perfect, but still very versatile.

8. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

BJ's??? Cox????? What is this thread coming to?

(We now return to the discussion already in progress.)

I have an '05 Blues Jr. Only mods are a C Rex and a Weber Beam Blocker. I absolutely love the tone I'm getting from it, even more so now that the C Rex is broken in.

9. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've considered the C Rex, but have been really surprised at how nicely this "terrible" Jensen C12n speaker has broken in. I know everyone says it's too ice picky, etc...but I'm not getting that at all.

I don't know, man. We can only go by our personal experience and tastes. If I loved the tone and other people who I jammed with or heard me said, "What're you CRAZY!? That sounds TERRIBLE!!!"...well, then I'd have to reconsider. But that's not what's happened at all with my rig. On the contrary. The amp delivers.

10. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

I own a Blues Junior Tweed NOS. Sounded great first time I played it. Decided to buy it. Later on down the road, my ears realized that it sounded too "boxy". Haven't really played it much since.

11. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

That was my feeling as well.Some in this thread have stated the size of the cabinet is the reason for the boxiness. But running it through a full sized 1x12
    cabinet with a nice celestion produced the same boxy sound.And a lack of certain lower freq. alluded to on Biilm's page of mods.If I had got my blues jr.
    used for say $250.00 I might have gone down Bills road but at $529.00 I didn't see the amps potential of being a thousand dollar amp. I replaced it with a 6 month old DRII I lucked into for $599.00 Happy with the sound no mods

12. mysticsiva

mysticsiva TDPRI Member

Thanks man, the original tweed was too yellow for me and the shellac was just what it needed. I didn't use any clear poly over the last coat, so it's aging pretty quickly.

^ I agree 100%.

13. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

I agree, by the time you spend money to have mods on it, you could have used that to buy a better tube amp. I'm looking at getting a Delta Blues. Heard they were great amps.

14. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

to each his own, love my nos tweed if I need big loud and clean I use my twin. But for grab and go guitar in one hand amp in other, not too many other amps fill that bill for me. I played quite a few that I didn't like before I found this one. I also play an ac15 in stereo with the bj and the sound is fantastic. My fave though is a 3500$ tone king but that aint gonna happen. Play what makes you happy.

15. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

After hearing an online demo of a Blues Junior with a Cannabis Rex speaker in it, I thought maybe this would be the amp that would sound better than my "half tubes, half solid state" Super Champ XD.

I found exactly what I was looking for on Craigslist not long after. It sounded sorta okay at the sellers house, except for a good bit of hum. I figured I'd have to learn how to get good sound out of it, so bought it and brought it home.

Well, I just never bonded with that amp. I didn't like the growly tone, I didn't like the constant hum, I didn't like the reverb that went from nothing at all to way too much if you turned the knob more than a smidgeon, and I didn't like the boxy sound that was always present no matter what I did with any of the controls.

So I tried to fix it. I bought the components and did Bill M's mod for the bass control. I came up with my own version of an adjustable bias circuit for the output tubes and installed it myself. From the schematic I figured out how to tame the excessive reverb by changing one resistor, and then I went ahead and did my mod to make the reverb knob usable over a larger portion of its travel.

But, you know what, none of it made any real difference - I still didn't like the growly tone, the boxy sound, or the hum.

That's when I found a Princeton Reverb (reissue) on Craigslist locally. I tried it, loved it, and brought it home. I still love the Princeton, and it must be going on a year or more now since I bought it.

The next day I sold the Blues Jr on Craigslist to an extremely fleet-fingered electric violinist, who loved the Cannabis Rex in it and the mods I'd made. He was happy to get the amp he wanted, I was happy to offset part of the cost of the Princeton.

I didn't like the Blues Jr, but of course that doesn't mean it's a bad amp. It just means it didn't suit my tastes.

I still really enjoy the PRRI, though.

-Gnobuddy

16. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Tele-Meister

Sounds like me and you think of the same about the Blues Jr. Congrats on getting an amp that you like. I'm thinking of getting the Peavey Delta Blues.

17. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

"Blues Jr's suck?"

Awful thread title. Lame playing is what sucks. Lazy-ass fakers. Lots of them out there. Hard work on your axe and music in general is what is needed by oh so many whiners. Joining the team of "badass players" has very little to do with product acquisition.

Any good player can use a Blues Jr. and wail. Stock or modded, little or no difference.

At least, that's my POV!

18. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Amen brother! +1

19. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

That's dead right, I have a buddy that has been playing and gigging since the 60's....he still does the blues circuit and jam nights and will plug into any BJ, PJ or HRD and have a great time.
    But he don't play them at home or at special gigs, 'cause he's got my amps ;)

20. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

That's a good deal!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.