1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Jr's suck?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telejnky, Oct 19, 2013.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I was just trying to provide levity with a Blues Jr haiku.

:neutral:

Tough room.

2. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

I know you were and I was being smart.

It's all good. A blues junior. Can't type BJ with a straight face. Is an ok amp, it's getting to be over priced, but it is perfect for the Guy at home jamming in his house.

3. Feargal

Feargal Tele-Holic

I had one, I liked it, I did not love it, I had bought it with the intention of modding it but decided to sell it and bought something I liked better. They get good money used, so I sold it quickly and got a good price for it.

4. studio1087

:cool:

I don't know if I would buy a new one at the new BJ prices. $529?? So if GC had a 15% coupon you would be at $450 plus tax. That's as good as it gets now (new). I bought my first one when they were $399 (full cash list) new. I sold it when I bought my DRRI.

I missed the size and sound of the BJ and started looking on craigslist.

Buying my second BJ off Craigslist was something that I'll never forget. The amp was listed at $250 with a Jensen Alnico speaker upgrade in Sheboygan WI. I called and a girl was managing the sale for her boyfriend. She said we could meet at Starbucks.

The Starbucks was on the south side of Sheboygan. I pulled up and a tall lady who looked like a model was sitting outside in a short denim skirt and black boots and a striped top and really cool sunglasses. She was drinking a fancy coffee outside in the sun and the amp was on the table. She was so beautiful that my jaw dropped. Don't get me wrong, I've been happily married for 23 years but I'm not dead yet. I still know what an amazingly pretty girl looks like. She was so gorgious sitting by the amp that I though someone was playing a prank on me. Turns out that she is a voice coach (singer) and she has appeared in a lot of theatre in Milwaukee and she has a voice lesson studio and a website and we had coffee and talked. :eek:

That was a good Craigslist deal. I have her business card. :cool: my friends asked how the amp deal went and I told them that everything went well.

I hated the Alnico speaker. Sold it on eBay for $70 andbought a Jensen MOD.

I think of a smart Blues Jr purchase as a $250-$300 "used" amp deal.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

It would take me an enormous amount of impulse control not to say

"Thanks for meeting me here for the BJ" or...........or maybe this;

" I just don't think getting this BJ from you is enough to thank you properly."

Just something a little classier than saying " I'm here for my BJ".

Anything to turn a few starbucker heads.

Thanks for sharing this memorable CL experience. :)

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Hey thanks for the backing track ! I was planning to program the chord changes into Band-in-a Box to make a quick jam track, but now I don't need to ! COOL !

I agree that the BJ demands too high a price for brand new. A used one would have been fine for me. When Marshall came out with the Class 5, I was real close to getting one of those too. Even at 5 watts, they are loud for home use to get to the sweet spot but the new ones have built in power squeezes to drop them down under a watt. Like the BJ, they have the classy vintage look, one being Fender and one being Marshall.

Again, too much to pay for new but maybe a good deal on the used market.

I'm talking just for home use. That headroom would go too quick in a band situation, IMHO.

I don't remember if the BJ has an external speaker out jack. I'd imagine they'd sound really good hooked up to a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. No more boxy sound, that's for sure.

7. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey Jim, I have the song pretty much figured out as far as chords and moves, just need to get it smooth and sweet :D

I figured out a couple of the chorus chords he uses that I couldn't find in any tabs. At :42 in the video one is up at the 8th Ebadd9: X-10-8-10-8-X then down to the fifth for a "Mayer" chord voicing of Ebmaj7: X-6-5-7-6-X, then he plays a partial open C7-shaped D7 chord, stretching down with his index to hit the first string 2nd fret (adding the high note from the open D7), but this fingering is easier for me X-5-4-5-7-X.

Also note that he plays Am7 5-7-5-5-8-5

I'm pretty sure the BJ has a speaker out since my PJ speaker connects to the chassis with a standard 1/4" plug. Very easy to run any 8 ohm speaker cab with it.

8. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I guess I might as well chime in. I have 2 friends that have the BJ amp. I even recommended it to them. This was 10 years ago when they were fairly cheap. They are good, maybe not great amps. Another cool amp is the Pro Jr. I had one of those, but I digress....

To compare a Blues Jr to a Deluxe Reverb is like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac.

9. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing againt Blues Jr's personally, as I've never spent time with one, but every time I hear them mentioned, I recall a former member, and vintage Fender amp guru disparaging them as the "Blues Magoo". I always chuckled at that name, but even years later, just can't get that out of my head when they are mentioned.

10. ToddinTX

ToddinTX Tele-Meister

They seem to be okay amps. I personally like my Mustang 3 better, but the Blues Jr. sounded fine when I tried it at GC. I just like fixing with tge settings on the Mustang more, and it's more powerful.

Todd

11. Badger52

Badger52 TDPRI Member

Going back over the thread, have to say thanks for this. I'll have to see if I can get down that way on either night (not from that area, but would be worth shooting down I-90). Found the Bristled Boar, I'll dig Hody's out. My ears in a room would be better than internet fora.

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you saying that you have completely forgotten your first Craigslist BJ??

:lol:

13. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Tele-Meister

BURN !~!~!~!~ :oops:

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice. :twisted:

15. Billm

Billm RIP

Now y'all know why I always abbreviate the Blues Junior as BJr.

16. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I am on my second BJR. Had a Pathfinder, Vibro Champ XD, Super Champ XD and Pro Junior after I sold my first BJR. I could not wait to go back to a BJR. Not saying those who don't like it are wrong, but it is the perfect amp for me. I should point out mine is not modded.

17. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I used one as my primary gigging amp for seven years; straight for lower volume gigs and mic'ed for bigger gigs. It stayed stock other than doing a Twin middle tone control mod.

I liked the size and the fact that it doesn't sound like a stereotypical black face or tweed Fender.

It was the last tube amp I sold off, primarily because I couldn't get a fat 40's-'50s Valco/Gibson tone from it without using a bunch of pedals. And the stock MDF cabinet made it heavier than it needed to be.

18. studio1087

That made my day. Just saw it now. That's funny. Good one. :cool:

Man......you can buy anything on Craigslist.

19. wullie22

wullie22 TDPRI Member

Had a really nice blues jr with some billm mods and a cannabis Rex .i stuck with that thing through thick and thin.my son would play pretty decent version of srv Lenny through it an I swear it sounded lovely,the trouble I found was that..... That is what that amp does,very we'll!!!its just the way it is voiced.i like to play chilli peppers stuff and could never quite nail it until I bought a tinny terror.i know fruciante plays marshals so maybe I should have caught on earlier,but I loved my bjr.i traded it to a Young fella that plays in a van halen cover band .wow...different amp in the hands of a confident and proficient player.just my opinion but I think that fender is promoting this amp to all the wrong people.it is not a home amp or beginners amp because if you hear them played with abandon they are great ,if you like an amp that really cuts through,just hate to see people crapping on a perfectly good amp.i play a tiny terror and a night train these days,you don't get the fender sparkle but for home use they are more usable,just saying

20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I just bought an NOS Tweed Model at GC and I love it. I don't know if it's the Jensen Speaker or something else but it sounds way better than any of the standard models that I have played through or owned.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.