1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Jr's suck?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telejnky, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

That is one SWEEEET tone and a very good player.

2. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Not that use or would use a real amplifier, you actual spent money on one
    I'd consider a low power ( 20 watts top end ) ,lil dawg amp .there are some other made to spec fender inspired amps around, that a working guy could afford.
    I can not really blame the big companies because they aren't in the instrument making business, they are in the money making business. Apparently every once in while they do something right and well make up for it by changing the design next year or quarter. Fender has all the plans designs right there in a card board box that is starting to mildew down in the basement. Can anyone trouble them selve and walk down there pick up the box put it on the design supervisers desk after closing the door and say this is how we are going to do things. Just follow the specs all the work is already done don'change a god damned thing or you and your crew will be joining the ranks of the unemployed and my shoe will be sticking out of your butt . I'm going to see the bean counters next, and I'm to tell them, don't.hastle any body because once we start making real fender goods we won't have a place big enough to put the cash that's going to come rolling in . We can build the kind instruments and amps that made leo fender famous right here in America . While we are doing this we are going to make the share holders happy while we do it.

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Yes.......but do you like the Fender Blues jr? :)

4. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

I am not person to ask. I think the Digitech 1101 isthe best thing since the birth control pill.
    Dweezil Zappa brought it to my attetion when some body was talking in the utility muffin thingy. A of those cool amps sitting there fuchs cornwall , bunches of expencive amps when looking at his rack he say I have 2 digitech 1101s in my rake , The 1101 does does all of those old tube amp sound really .
    So I bought one with a 30 day no qustions ask return policy. I still have it bought the foot controller I liked it so much .
    So asking me about amp with real tubes that warm up, with speakers an things is like asking a pig if he like pork chop or ham for breakfast.

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Agreed!

And the past few hours I've been noodling around trying to figure out his great arrangement of "Gravity" on my JV strat and PJ while watching the ALCS :D

That guy rocks.

6. Lord Stanley

Lord Stanley TDPRI Member

Don't blame the jr - look in the mirror . When I play and the sound sucks it's most like me ! Most Amps and guitars are fine, it's us most of the time that make it or break it .

7. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

It's because you bought the black one. The tweed ones reflect tone better the black just absorbs it

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I like my Blues Junior. I paid $250 on craigslist and I think it's a very nice small, utilitarian tube amp.

I paid $750 for my DRRI and I can honestly say that I like it 3 times more than the Blues Junior.

I think that you have to do your homework before you buy gear. Even when you buy gear it's nice to either buy at a low enough price that you can flip the gear and come out even or buy from a shop with a 30 day return policy.

If you plan and take these precautionary steps you won't end up whining on the internet.

9. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

I guess sucks is a relative thing. I bought a tweed one because I thought everything else in the price range and size sucked.

I use it for a little practice amp at home and take it to gigs as a back up/get me out of trouble amp if my drri (which is pretty modded and owes me more than $3,000 - I am in Australia so gear costs a bit more here) craps it.

Of course it won't sound like a $3,000 amp, but guess what, it didn't cost $3,000. ;)

I couldn't find anything else at the same price point that sounded as good and was as portable. Let me know if you do.

10. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

A Silvertone 1482 with extra bypass caps in a nice pine cabinet....but you can't walk into a shop and buy that. ;)

11. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I almost bought one but had to spend the $$$ I'd saved on other stuff, bills etc :(

I still want a BJ though. The tweed version and the Bilm mods sound like a fun project as I like mucking around with electronics and mods. An it's got valves !

12. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

I'm still waiting on a response from billm. I'll give it another couple of weeks, because I imagine he is pretty flat out.
    If I don't hear from him I'll get the local guy to have a crack at it. :)
    The BJ is fine, but it is very trebly and small amp sounding (boxy I guess).

13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I dialed up a BJ preset on my Mustang, got out the mexi strat and I'm doing the same thing! Got that YouTube bookmarked, What a great arrangement is right! Thanks for uploading this. If I was still playing out in a band, I'd want to add this to the songlist.

14. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I have a BJ3. I like mine. It doesn't suck.

I think the stock BJ3 is a nice improvement over earlier incarnations of the Blues Jr., but it's still basically a one trick pony. If you don't like that one trick, you won't like the BJ3.

The DR cannot get the same gnarly overdrive that you can with a BJ3. The BJ3 cannot get the same sweetness as you can with a DR.

They're just different tools, like a hammer and a screwdriver. Try and bang nails with a screwdriver and you'll get frustrated pretty fast... But that doesn't mean it's a bad screwdriver. :idea:

The OP asked for thoughts, comments, and criticism. I've already provided the first two. My criticism is that starting a thread on a Telecaster forum about one of Fender's most popular amps and using "Suck" in the title is the very definition of trolling.

;) :cool:

15. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted

I've got a BJ. It's one of the early American-made ones. It's black. Sometimes it sucks. I've had to troubleshoot it. I pretty much found what's wrong. There's this long cord thingy that plugs into it, and the dude on the other end is usually the problem. Usually, anyway.

16. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

wasn't trolling, just venting, Didn't shoot nobodys moma, it's a forum:)

17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

No problem... Just responding to your request.

"Ask and ye shall find..."

18. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well stated...

well here is where I totally agree with the small amp club...the Blues Jr is a great amp in a great package, specific to a need. Why do we always compare things like the B Jr..to a bigger amp ? Of course a DR is a different amp, it's supposed to be. Just like a Twin Reverb is different than a DR, it is supposed to be.

The small box is for portability and weight for those that need,require or desire a small space, small size, rehearsal or small gig amp.

If we are expecting the 10" speaker and small box to sound BIG SPEAKER AND BIG BOX well, it's not gonna...

Price wise, manufacturing size, the B Jr is probably not that far off from the DR, it's still an amp, chassis, cabinet, tolex , grill cloth etc...if you build a 2 x 5 workbench it's basically the same cost as a 2x8 workbench.

We don't buy a B Jr and expect it to be much cheaper because it is smaller...we buy it because it is the package we need or desire...

I love mine ! It has replaced my HR Deluxe as my daily practice amp as well as any rehearsal amp...gigs are a different thing...it may or may not go to a gig...

I think this is the place where I say if you have a DR you are playing too loud, you only need a Blues Jr. !:lol:

19. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

My experience with a Blues Jr is limited to 15 minutes' playing time in a music store. My verdict? It sucked! The again, pretty much every 15-30W tube amp at that price point sucked too, except of course the Classic 30.

20. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

You pretty well hit the nail on the head, or so it seems. I've never owned one, but just about any time I go into a store to quickly check out a guitar, I usually plug into a Blues Jr. They're predictable, and easy to quickly dial in a good tone, and they don't have to be dimed to get reasonable sound. Still, it's clear from that "cottage industry" that you mentioned that there have either been a lot of unhappy customers, or a lot of duped customers - duped into believing that they need to do the mods.

I think people need to recognize the limitations of a $500 amp. It's not a bad amp, and it's astounding what tone controls can do :eek:

Another thing, hearing an amp in the store is not the same as hearing it at home, or in a band mix. They do come with warranties, and I'm assuming that most stores have their own return policies. If you get it home and don't like it, return it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.