1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Jr's suck?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telejnky, Oct 19, 2013.

1. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Blues Jr's are not a great amp at a great price. The are ok amps built to a price point, and fender keeps jacking up the price.

2. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I was in a rehearsal room yesterday with 3 friends getting an old band together again.

Bass, drums and two tele players. I was playing through a 93 DRRI; my much more accomplished friend through a Blues Jr. His sound sucked. In fact he had a better sound when he was playing through a Roland Cube back in '89.

Driving home with the drummer later he remarked that the DRRI was as clear as a bell but the other guitarist's sound was "muffled"

I blame the Blues Jr. His guitars and playing abilities remain first class... Yep I blame the Blues Jr.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMHO no amp sucks. They all have a unique sound and purpose, and with the right adjustments any of them can sound good, or great. Of course small cabinets won't give you the "full" tone of a larger cabinet, especially a solid wood cabinet, but then you have to weigh that against portability, purpose, and price.

Maybe it would have been better had you said "it sucks that I can't get a good sound out of a BJ" since MANY players I've heard live can and do.

And as someone said, it was a stepping stone to another amp that better suits you, so consider the money you lost on the trade-in as money well-spent!

BTW, this guy sure makes his sound suh-weet!

4. pharmdawg67

pharmdawg67 TDPRI Member

I had the tweed b jr and did some of the Bill M mods ....still unhappy with it and eventually i traded it for a 72 Vibro Champ

5. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

I did the same. Thought I can upgrade this thing or buy a better amp, I bought a better amp.

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think the Blues Jr sucks or is mediocre. I just don't think it was the right amp for you. Not all amps are going to sound great with all genre's, guitars, pedals, players, etc, etc...

It makes perfect sense to me to be willing to buy an amp to be modded. I bought a used C600 a while back, sent the chassis off to Boothill to turn into a 5F1, put a Weber Sig 6" in it and NOS tubes and for about $350 I got a dang good 5F1.

Wouldnt it be boring if we were all playing stock guitars, amps, pedals, etc, etc? What would we have to GAS about? :D

7. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

I have a Blues jr.III with upgraded speaker (Eminence Wizard). I thought is was OK. Since I got my Excelsior amp I never play the BJ anymore. My Carvin V16 even sounds better but with less volume. The Excelsior and Carvin are easier to get a good sound from and the BJ take a lot of time and tweaking just to sound OK. I'm thinking of selling it.

8. badger51

badger51 Tele-Meister

I do not own a blues junior but there is a weekly blues jam in Middleton Wi that I go to just to watch the guitarist in the house band play who uses one. He rotates a PRS, 70's Lp, American Strat, SG (that he won from the GC king of the blues contest) and a MIM tele straight into an old Blues Junior. Every guitar sounds great. It is one of the best if not the best lead tones I have ever heard and has no problem keeping up with the rest of the band un mic'd. He rolls up the guitar for lead/slide and backs down for rhythm. FAT, saturated tone! All knobs maxed except treble and reverb with master adjusted to the room. He sure makes a blues junior sound phenomenal.

9. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

Most of the good blues jr. ive heard on utube have been modded with upgraded speakers tubes and some billm tweeks. case in point the video you referenced . but ill agree I could have stated my opinion better.guess I was still pissed at a poor purchase. i did actually build a new 1x12 cabinet to wide specs al a mesa boogie with a nice celestion in it . plugged the jr. in same boxy sound like it was missing a chunk of the lower freq.

10. Sunrise Blues

Sunrise Blues TDPRI Member

Blues jr are great amps, just not next to to an amp at roughly double the cost. I've had one with mods and it can't get out of its own way compared to a deluxe, vibrolux, or even my muched loved and self hyped mesa 5:25 express. Great amp at $300 and lower. Not a great amp at $579 when a used cvr is 600.

11. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He does have a Texas Heat in it, but no mentions of mods. Maybe you're just a 6v6 & 6L6 guy? There is quite a distinctive difference in tone between those & el84s & el34s. Also a huge difference in price between the BJ & that Deluxe, and cab size. BTW you could have sold that BJ for more than you got for a trade in, then maybe you wouldn't be so pissed at the BJ? :D

12. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Sacizob, I would dime out the master and turn the volume to like 5 or 6 if I remember correctly. It sounded ok on my room but on stage with a drummer I had to crank it and it got pretty crunchy. Again, not a bad sound at all, just not what I needed. I also think it's crazy how they price brand new amps. Like 569$ or whatever for a blues jr, I don't see why anyone would buy new.

13. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

And as tap said I've discovered I'm more of a 6L6 guy.

14. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

+1 on the tube thing my last favorite amp was my 74 twin reverb (traded it for a music man
    in a fit of stupid ) I was in my early 20's what can i say. so maybe the 6v6's are closer to the sound of the 6l6's than the el84's food for thought

15. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I had a Blues Junior for 7 years as my small club amp and it worked fine. Not great, but fine. I eventually sold it after I bought my Mesa-Boogie TA-30 and I figured I wouldn't miss it.

However, last year I played an outdoor concert/jam with my drummer's BJ: I had both the master and volume on 7, dialed back the volume on my Tele (switched to the neck humbucker) and running it through his Tube Screamer. That was a f*****g awesome sound.

I was singing lead and playing rhythm guitar on "Black Magic Woman" with a 16-year-old hotshot with a pretty impressive rig playing lead guitar. Afterwards, everyone told me that I'd given the kid a clinic on simplicity and a single killer tone.

16. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

BJ is really good right out of the box for playing small rooms if the controls are set-up right including the treble rolled-off. Dependent upon what you play and how loud you need it. I like my twin better but not the weight...

Had a few exceptional nights using the BJ for Blues and Classic-Rock at reasonable volumes in clubs and jam sessions.

Had plenty of head-room when the other players have good dynamics.

Am playing a Les Paul with SD pickups and have to say the "live, on-stage, small-venue" sound is really good through that 15 watt amp...ymmv

17. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I thinks saying a Blues Jr. sucks might be a little harsh. It does have a characteristic sound that a lot of people do like. Kind of raspy, agressive nasally sound that sounds good for.......well what a lot of people think Blues sound sound like.

And a lot of the appeal of the amp is it is light and small, not expensive compared to many other tube amps, and it is loud for a 15 watt amp.

But a small box and only 15 watts isn't going to sound big.

The fundamental rule of speaker box design is you can pick any two
    of the following:

Loud
    Deep Bass
    Small

You can't break the laws of Physics and have all three.

18. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Like most anything, it gives you back mostly what you put into it (through it's particular recipe.)

19. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I agree with the OP. I had a Bjr because I wanted that size and weight but was not happy with the sound. Subsequently I modified it every which way but finally sold it. Got a DRRI and a Princeton Reverb 77. Best move I have made in the last 10years.

20. Justjammin

Justjammin Tele-Meister

I have a 66 bandmaster, a 68 twin, a 74 peavey, and an old fliptop ampeg.

I needed a project and bought one cheap with modding in mind, that said, it is now my go-to amp for noodling and casual jamming, it is propably one of the most fun amps ever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.