1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Jr's suck?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telejnky, Oct 19, 2013.

1. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif
    I like everyone else bought my blues jr.111 looking for that big tube tone at a reasonable price . sounds pretty good in the store, gotta love those glowwy things in the back. black tolex Fender badge on the front. fender reverb. blues rock heaven, right? Wrong! Ive got 8 electric guitars(some pretty nice one;s
    too) couldn't get a decent sound out of one of them. go on line. perhaps im stupid.missing something? nope turns out there is a cottage industry built around
    tweaking modding, and replacing parts and speakers tranny's tubes ect. ect.ect. all in an effort to make this mediocre amp sound good. After a year of looking at
    that amp sitting in the corner doing nothing I traded it in at the local music store
    lost my shirt on the trade and bought the amp i shoulda in the first place a deluxe reverb. AHHHH that's much better big tube tone nice bottom end my 62 strat reissue and it are best friends. I feel so much better now. So? thoughts comments, criticisms?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I've never owned a BJ myself. Tried one once in a music store. Was the relic'd tweed version. Brand new it came with a hole already in the oxblood grill cloth. Sounded pretty darn good in the store. I actually had a few strangers in the store come up and comment about how good the tone was coming out of it. Shortly after that I got "into" vintage Fender amps and that's where I mostly play today. Tube amps are great, some better than others. I am betting it was the hole in the grill cloth that gave that amp the extra mojo yours was missing.

3. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

LOL well I think your amp sucks too! :lol:

(Not really though... a Deluxe Reverb probably sounds awesome.)

Look at it this way - the Blues Jr. was the incentive for you to go out and buy the amp of your dreams! Thanks, Blues Junior, for sucking!

4. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

No one expects (or should expect) a "big tube tone" from a Blues Junior. They are small sized 15 watt amps designed for portability and convenience. Basic physics applies when you're dealing with smaller perameters. Blues Juniors are very good when used for what they were designed to do -- which is not to replace a larger wattage amp in a bigger cabinet.

5. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

You know I played through one once and it was fine at guitar center I can't really play well so I'm gonna keep it down volumes. After reading and absorbing a boatload of posts here it seems that money should go towards a vintage Princeton for that type sound. But you upped your amp size so I take it you want fender cleans not fender dirt.

6. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

Never looked at it that way airbag. your a glass full kinda guy Thanks

7. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

Hi WTK0315 nope I like to run just on the edge of breakup use the guitar vol. to clean up
    and a crap load of different overdrive pedals to taste. the deluxe at about 5 1/2 on the vo.
    does it for me.

8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I don't like the Blues Jr either. And I'd agree the Deluxe is one of Fender's best.

Can't knock the guys who buy the B Jr and mod 'em though.

9. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, another "MacDonalds" amp :twisted:

10. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

wouldn't dream of knocking the modders. ive modded most of my guitars to suit. I dont have the skills to mod an amp though. and would have to pay someone to tweek it for me, so the
    swapp worked out better for me.

11. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Probably not a good idea to look for "big tube tone" in something that has "Jr." in the title. I had one for a while and it was fine for what it was, but eventually I moved on to something else. I'd never go so far as to say it sucked though.

12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I owned one. Was fine with upgraded tubes and speaker. But the Peavey Classic30 with upgraded tubes and speaker craps all over it. For the same money

13. Chris_69_SS

Chris_69_SS TDPRI Member

I really like mine - find the tone is GREAT.

14. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I saw the title of this thread and started cracking up lol. I had a blues jr. The first tube amp I actually bought (not borrowed). At first I loved it and then I tried to play a gig with it. Even mic I couldn't get a half decent clean tone, just wanted to break up. It sounded good, just doesn't suit my crystal clean needs. I also discovered the "cottage industry" as you called it with all the mods and tweaks. I ALMOST fell into that wormhole. But I didn't want to put 200-300$ into an amp I got used for 250$

15. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Yep, your choice of the Blues Jr. was the wrong one ... for you. I think there are more than a few around here that may beg to differ. But it's good to hear that you found the right tool for the job.

16. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

Spend a little more time on the internet and you will learn there is a HUGE industry built around tweaking and modding EVERYTHING guitar related. There are people that drop thousands on amps...only to open them up and hot-rod them to their liking. Different strokes

17. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I don't own a BJr, but I think they can sound good, for what they were designed for. Fifteen watts should probably be miced when playing with a drummer on stage, for the sake of having clean headroom.

I would disagree saying they suck because they are a good choice for some players, and many like them. I almost bought one a few years ago and went with a used Delta Blues instead. I thought for the same money on the used martket that it was an upgrade. Not everyone would agree, based on the Fender vs Peavey thing. Anyway, I think " I don't like this amp because........." sounds a little friendlier than " it sucks". I'm happy that you got an amp you like. :) A Deluxe is probably better suited for what you like.

18. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I like mine. Great little practice amp, and great for jamming with friends. I wouldn't try to gig it, either, to be honest, cause I like a lot of clean headroom.

I'm glad the OP got what he wanted, finally. Play what makes you happy.

19. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

Did you have the Master all the way up and use the volume for volume (clean tone). Or did you have the volume all the way and use the master for volume (dirty tone). I have no problem getting clean tone from my Bls Jr.

20. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. I gave mine to my son, but not because I thought it sucked. Guess I'd better find him a better one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.