Blues Jr.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by superjam144, Dec 8, 2020.

1. g7sus9

g7sus9 NEW MEMBER!

I love the Blues Junior. You can't beat it for the price, and you can get some great tones out of it without going deaf. I know a couple of pros that use it in the studio for certain things.

2. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister

Do you have the link to that?Thanks!

3. Coloradotwanger

You hit the nail right on the head.

saltyseadog likes this.
  4. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Hahah oh man, I thought it was new but it was put into my suggestions recently was all (probably because i was showing interest in Blues Jr. s)

well it's a bit old but a good comparison:

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  5. Coloradotwanger

Thanks jays0n!

6. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I had one for a while. They do sound a little boxy, and I never really warmed up to it as a result. I also find the treble out of EL84's to be a little hot and unmusical. The 15w Monoprice, also EL84's, covers the same ground, pretty much, and sounds (with a speaker swap) a little more musical (for less money). Another similar(ish) amp (6L6) is the Supro Blues King 12, which has less headroom but does the el cheapo thing more interestingly, I think, with more "air," "space," "dimension" in the sound.

All that said, an awful lot of people love their Juniors, so who's to say? I sold mine to a jazz guy fifteen years ago, and he still plays it.

kookaburra likes this.
  7. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I don't know what else to say except it would quit working. Taking the tank out and putting it back in worked for a while. Even a sharp rap to the bottom of the amp would make it start working again, for a while, then eventually it wouldn't work at all and would have to be replaced. I bought two new ones, at different times, of different series, same exact thing. Bought one used one, already quit.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  8. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Holic

hmmm ok thanks, that’s not what I was getting with my BJnr

9. Jay Jernigan

What was happening with yours?

10. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Holic

it was diagnosed as a faulty ‘pre-amp valve’ by the shop that sold me the amp. But within a week of having it back from them repaired it did it again. So I put my foot down and got a replacement.

I’m now sorely tempted to do the bias mod and the input power mod in order to mitigate it happening again, although I also am aware it will invalidate my warranty (or what little of it I have left). A decision I need to make I guess

11. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

I own a Blues Junior IV and like it. Bought it new from Sweetwater. It came with the Eminence RED-WHITE-BLUES Speaker and sounds very good. Still does not change the fact that Fender uses cheap construction methods on this model and wave soldered PCB's. I suspect the cabinet is made from MDF Paperboard and that sure can't help the overall tone. A pine cabinet and plywood baffle board should improve the overall tone and also be lighter. I am considering one from Mather Cabs. I use mine in the bedroom and do not move it around a lot. Should work out fine in that setting.

Everything cost money and pretty soon you have an expensive Blues Junior that would not have any more resale value.

Tim S likes this.
  12. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Exactly. If you have to recab, retube, and re-speaker it, why even bother? Just because it says "fender" on it? Get a monoprice on sale and do the same for a lot less. And it already comes stock with good tubes, so upgrade the reverb tank instead, and then you've got as good an amp if not better for like half the cost.

13. claptonrules

claptonrules TDPRI Member

i just posted that i just bought the 65 deluxe reverb cuz i need the 22 watts for band rehearsal and when we gig out. Jr was my second choice, great reviews, very cool. I could be wrong but felt wattage just wasn't enough for me. i hear it's very pedal friendly which is what i need. i think you did great if it makes you smile, they have a great rep.

14. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I played through my blues jr today with no pedals and new strings. I love this amp. Sounds great to me. :cool:

The pedals definitely affect the tone.

djh22 and Cyberi4n like this.
  15. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

My 1998 Blues Jr has been great for occasional small gigs and rehearsals but I figured I should replace the aging power supply caps and cool down the bias.
    I ended up buying an upgrade kit from Fromel Electronics that included F&T caps, a different bias resistor, and maybe a dozen more components that would improve the overall sound as well as the reverb circuit.
    I installed the parts successfully last August and I'm very happy with the results!

16. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

I agree...it's a FOX

17. Jay Jernigan

I have replaced the tanks in two of mine; one was given to me and the other one is a Mod brand that a friend found online. I have had no further issues with the reverb since, and the Mod tank is superlative. Number 3 will be getting one of those very soon.

18. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

19. richinmusic

richinmusic TDPRI Member

I took the amp out of my Blues Jr, put it in a head cab, and use it with various cabs. Also had the tonestack modified so it's more like a 15 watt Twin. The mids knob is more subtle, the bass is tighter, and it sounds so much better to me than as a combo with a smaller speaker.

20. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    Sweet! Used to have a "real" Bassman ( I play guitar...I do have a bass, just in case...) and lived that sound, but I like the idea of more tote-ability.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.