Blues Jr with chassis removed as cab?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tm1303, May 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tm1303

tm1303 TDPRI Member

Thinking about getting me an amp head, and using my very old, very tired, blues junior as the cab with the chassis and electronics removed. Anyone have an experience of running a disemboweled BJ in this way?

Any tone difference with the extra space?

Will the box be strong enough without the bracing effect of the chassis?

x

2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

No, yes and don't stand on top of it.

Will it work? Yes. Will it be the best sound that speaker can make? Unlikely.

I've paid $40, $100, nothing and $10 for the cabinets I have right now. (Admittedly only the $100 one came with a speaker) Try Craigslist or your local used listings.

tm1303 likes this.
  3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

It would be easy enough to cut a board and use the chassis mounting holes to screw it in place of the chassis if you need more support, I don't think you would have to though.

All you have to do is add a 1/4" jack either drill a hole and mount it in the back panel or put the jack in a bracket.
    And it should sound fine IMO.

And you can always sell your old tired Blues Jr chassis on eBay, someone will buy it I'm sure.

tm1303 likes this.
  4. Ted Witton

Ted Witton Tele-Meister

Better option: Fit a Blues Baby chassis into the BJ Cabinet - designed for exact fit and substantially reduces the weight.

http://www.award-session.com/bluesbaby-complete.html

OK it is solid state but it is right up there with the very best like the new Roland Blues Cube, Katana etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.