Blues Jr version?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rockymtnguitar, Jun 2, 2019.

1. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic

How does one tell the Blue Jrs apart? I'm considering a used one. It has a silver faceplate, where the current photos seem to show black? The lettering on the control panel is also "backwards" - difficult to read if standing in front of the amp. I *think* that makes this a Blues Jr III?

Was that considered to a good edition of this amp?

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

That's the difference right there - the control plate. Version 4 also adds a boost.

3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

All versions are pretty good. I haven't played a version IV yet, but have the first 3 and liked each one....own the original and a version III today.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

v.1 - Backward silver control plate; Made in USA

v.2 - Backward silver control plate; Hecho en Mexico

v.3 - Frontward black control plate w/black knobs; Hecho en Mexico

v.4 - Frontward black control plate w/white knobs; Hecho en Mexico

Milspec likes this.
  5. rockymtnguitar

Aha good to know, thank you. Sounds like it was a v1 or v2 then.

On a side note (guitar center rant warning)... went to GC to try said Blues Jr. Plugged in two different guitars with two different cables and never could get any sound out of the amp. It was for sale for $350, and didn't function. The employees stood and watched. Yes, it was plugged in. Ended up playing a BJ IV that I liked a lot, but was twice the price and well out of budget.

6. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I wonder if they disconnected a speaker lead when they pull the power cable out of the back?

7. rockymtnguitar

Yeah I kinda wondered about something like that myself. Surely I'm not the only one that's tried to play it and had issues. Anyway, it is what it is.

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

One of the biggest weaknesses of those amps were the input jack being attached directly to the pcb. Might have just needed a new jack. Hard to tell though without seeing the guts.

sds1 likes this.
  9. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I had one for about a year and thought it was pretty good. It was the v3 in tweed with a cannabis rex.
    I have the Pro Jr III now and it is my all time favorite amp. (Had vox ac15, Orange dual terror before) It’s a monster through an external cab, overdriven sound blows the bjr away.
    When it comes down to it I would rather have to use a good reverb pedal with an amp that has killer natural drive, than have to use an overdrive pedal through an amp with decent built in reverb.
    I have read that the earlier us models of blues jrs and pro jrs have known issues with tube rattle and hum do to a screw that is too long, but I think they came with better speakers?
    If you’re going for a used bjr, be patient and find one that has already been modded and comes with upgraded tubes & speaker.
    It’s very common for people to mod the heck out of the bjr and you shouldn’t expect to pay extra for those mods.
    IMO most people flipping those amps are trying to move them quick to fund the purchase of a deluxe reverb or Princeton.
    Happy hunting!

Daytona.57 likes this.
  10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I read that Ted Weber designed the Eminence 30 watt speaker that originally came in the Pro Jr., it has a vintage-looking brown Fender label. Based on reading that I bought one for cheap from Ebay that someone had pulled from their amp, but I haven't tried it out yet, it is supposedly a good sounding speaker.
    Al

11. Lamf77

Lamf77 TDPRI Member

I just grabbed one. There is a small sticker/tag inside the amp. Mine was next to the reverb tank. The letters LL mean mine is from December 2001.
    Lots of info here:

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=207

12. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

How does the pj 3 compare to the 4?

13. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I haven’t played the 4, can’t comment. I read the new pjs have earlier breakup/less headroom which doesn’t make sense to me unless you only want it as a bedroom amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.