Blues Jr "Twin"

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jsnwhite619, Sep 17, 2019.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

First of all, kudos to the guys who really take the time to photo-document their entire builds each step of the way. I don't see how you keep up. I kind of just take pictures in stages after they are complete, not while I'm doing it.

A local guy asked if I could build a 2x12" tweed cab for his Blues Jr. And that sounded like a good idea to me. He said he has two C-Rex speakers laying around, so that's what is going in it. Also, a new Allen Blues Jr upgrade with 4/8 ohm taps.

So, here is a Tweed Blues Jr/Twin cab in the works. 27" wide x 18-1/2" high x 10-3/8 deep at the bottom with a 5 degree slant. 3/8" baltic birch baffle. I was hesitant to use 3/8" instead of 1/2". but I may just run an extra brace strip glued straight up the middle between the speakers. She's a biggun! That's my old Pro Jr cabinet for reference.

I've got to add one more personal victory. I traced out the size of the baffle just by laying the cab down on the plywood. I drew the center lines both ways, played with some speaker placement, but I wanted to get as much wood left on the edges and center as I could for strength. I finally took the 1-1/2" side of my square and marked it on each edge and straight down the middle. I figured I could do the "straight sided circles" like some of the old cabs did. When I put my cutout template on there, I couldn't believe it. The arc of the circle hit hit all four straight lines perfectly. I ended up dropping them down an inch or two to lower the center of gravity in the end. But, I couldn't have planned that part any better.

IMG_20190916_213051844_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190916_225222035_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190917_150141601_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190917_173014109_HDR.jpg

2. jsnwhite619

And since I forgot in the earlier post, and I didn't take pictures.... Ever since I restored that '59 Deluxe last year, I've take the easy Fender route on the baffle cleats. Cut 3/8" plywood strips for top & bottom, glue them on with a few brads shot in to hold it in place then clamp them down. Then either pine or ply filler strips on the front sides don the same way. I never used to do it, but that is how Fender did it, there's no bearing on sound or strength difference, and it's a hell of a lot easier and faster than notching into the cab for those top & bottom cleats. Just be sure you shoot your brads far enough in to avoid the roundover router bit, and give them a few taps to set them to be even safer. Then wood filler over the holes. I built several without doing it that way, but after realizing how Fender did it on that original cabinet, I started taking their route.

And one more shot to show off my oak dowels set into the wings.

IMG_20190917_214216836_HDR.jpg

3. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan TDPRI Member

Subscribed and eagerly waiting to hear what the final build sounds like.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  4. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Oh I can tell you right now it's gonna sound 1000% better than that boxy little MDF cab with the garbage stock speaker. Reckon the new iron won't hurt either.

Phrygian77 and jsnwhite619 like this.
  5. KeepItSimpleTele

KeepItSimpleTele TDPRI Member

This is beautiful work. I can only imagine how much more bottom end this Jr will have now with the Cannabis Rex x2, the bigger cabinet....AND the transformer to firm up the bass from the amp. Huge!

6. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

It'd be fun to compare it with this...
    P1020362.JPG P1020363.JPG P1020364.JPG

guitarmikey and jsnwhite619 like this.
  7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I did something very similar to my Blues Jr, and the larger cabinet was the perfect mod to make the amp sound like something more substantial. Don't be surprised if you suddenly realize that the stock speakers sound totally different in the larger cabinet.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  8. jsnwhite619

I tell people all the time that the Pro Jr & Blues Jr biggest drawbacks are the cabinets & speaker. The Pro Jr can really transform into a new beast. He already has the 2 C-Rex's from another cabinet, so those are a done deal.

sds1 likes this.
  9. jsnwhite619

Debating whether I feel like getting the bottom wrap on tonight. 50/50 at this point, but the corners are done, so that's the bulk of the work.[​IMG]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

7171551, NSB_Chris, sds1 and 2 others like this.
  10. jsnwhite619

Latest update. The weather here finally changed to fall mode, and it was maybe 35% humidity and 80 degrees. The glue was almost drying too fast! Those big panels are tough to get lined up once the glue is on there. I realized today that I don't have enough 1/4" plywood on hand, so I ordered some more that shouldn't take too long to arrive. So, not much to do until then.

Picture is on my phone, and I'll add it in the next comment.

11. jsnwhite619

Here it is.[​IMG]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

12. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Great work! I love doing this type of work - just wish I had the time to do more of it. So for time being I'm enjoying watching yours.

Thanks for taking the time to take and share the pictures.

Cheers

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  13. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Great work!

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  14. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

A thing of beauty!

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  15. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I'd hit it.

jsnwhite619 and sds1 like this.
  16. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

Beautiful work. That amp is going to sound huge in that cab with the 2 Crex speakers.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  17. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan TDPRI Member

Seriously can't wait to hear it.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  18. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Post #6 is the best looking cabinet I’ve ever seen anywhere.
    SacDave makes a beautiful non traditional cabinet that I really like, but in the traditional category, the tolex and grille cloth design is outstanding.
    Bravo on great design and craftsmanship.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.