Blues Jr Tweed vs Peavey Classic 30 vs Roland Blues Cube

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pagedr, Jul 10, 2019.

1. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Here's my little, highly complemented C30 mini stack

WP_20170423_17_35_11_Pro (2).jpg

hotrodkid likes this.
  2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a extension cable on the Blue Marvel and plug it into the 8 ohm jack, I have the Legend in a 1×12 ext cab.
    When swapping between them I found the Legend didn't add tones, it just seems to take some of the high mids off, not in a way the amp can eq out.
    At my gig Saturday the Legend sounded real good.
    I don't dislike the Blue Marvel, I'm gonna continue to experiment between the two and see which is overall better tone before I decide to make the switch.
    Too bad the Legend is 8ohm. If it were 16 ohm I'd have a great pair to use together.

hotrodkid likes this.
  3. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Ok. In any case fun to explore.

Another issue is added weight. Some speakers, the Weber silve bell and the Celestion GT-75 made the amp much heavier. The C30's grab n go concept is one of it's strengths and is something I don't want to give up. I actually thought about trying a Weber alnico in it.

Sorry OP if we're high jacking your thread. Not much C30 talk around here lately.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  4. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Fender pro Junior Tweed

5. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

And the C30 gets hot enough to fry bacon. Very handy if you ned a post giig snack.

6. beachbreak

beachbreak TDPRI Member

Hahaha!

Mine had a bad solder on the pilot light and and it re-soldered itself. ;)

ricknbaker likes this.
  7. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

there are good and not so good points for each of your choices.so i won't be able to give any advise there but if you are concerned about volume i would avoid a crex unless gigging.try something less efficient or one of those attenuating speakers,maverick or reignmaker believe.

8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

And the Roland is around 22 lbs.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The specs I'm seeing say about 28, but still quite a bit lighter than the others.

10. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I have a Classic 30 head with the Peavey 1-12" extension cab. I've loaded the cab with a Mesa/Celestion MC-90 Black Shadow.

I like it but it's not perfect. I love the way EL84s sound in the high treble but Peavey gave the Classic 30 a very mid-heavy voicing that muffles it. With single coils and Filtertrons, it doesn't sound bad -- gives it a nice thickness boost. With humbuckers or my archtops, though, it is mud city. I would really prefer a presence control and perhaps revoice where the treble/mid/bass controls live. I've started using an EQ pedal when I need more top-end and less mids and it's working well.

To be fair, the midrange emphasis is also one of the reasons why gigging musicians like the Classic 30 -- at louder stage volume, it cuts through and sounds more balanced than at bedroom volume.

Honestly, I've never been a big fan of the Hot Rod/Blues Junior series of Fender amps. Neither the sound nor the construction excited me.

I really, really like the Roland Blues Cubes. However, the Blues Cube Hot doesn't do much for me. I want to like it but every time I've played one, it just sounds "small". I would probably take a Blues Cube Artist over my Classic 30, maybe a Stage, but not a BC Hot.

Honestly, if I had a DRRI, I don't know that I would bother trading it for a Classic 30. The DRRIs I've tried sounded amazing with the archtop and really good with everything else. If the DRRI just didn't work for me, I would go to a Classic 30 next.

11. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

I would take the Blues Cube Hot without a second thought. I have owned all three and the Blues Cube is the only one I still have.

12. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Thanks all for the many replies and insights. I’m gonna head back to my local shop this weekend and play these three and a few others again. Kinda leaning towards the Roland (it may not be a tube amp but it sure sounds like one) but we’ll see what happens.

13. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Considering they’re all going for a similar overall aesthetic and tonal profile as well as price point, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the guy asking for a comparison.

The Blues Cube Hot in particular is very clearly made with the Blues Junior in mind.

King Fan likes this.
  14. Kladen

Kladen TDPRI Member

Why shooting for the blues cube stage or artist?
    I’ve tried the BJ and own a blues cube artist as my practice amp at home and use it for gigging as well.
    Have gigged and gigged with others using bj’s and I much prefer the Roland.
    The C30 I don’t know much about but a 30 watt tube amp just doesn’t scream happy neighbours imho

The power scaling feature is nice and the phones out is descent.
    I have some great tube amps, but it’s the cube that gets the most playing time because I can use it at low volume at home

The C30 and Roland is both in the clip

15. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Cool video. Thanks for posting. Three Monkeys did it for me. Also speaker changed in the C30. Can anybody see what it is? Celestion GB, CB, H30 or V30?

16. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a Peavy Classic way back in the late ‘70s. Great sounding amp, loud as hell. It was a bigger one, though, dual speakers, I think it may have been 60 watts. I played out with it a lot and played it in my apartment, but it was NOT an apart,ent amp. But no idea how the current model you’re considering compares. I also had the first model of Blues Jr for about ten years. Thought it was a good sounding amp, but that was when I had a big basement and I could crank it if I wanted to. It definitely goes from way quiet to incredibly way the eff too loud in about a micron of turning the volume knob. Pretty hard to get it just right. I haven’t gigged in years Nd don’t play out much at all anymore. I’m basically a man-cave player in a condo. I have a blues cube hot and love it. Sounds really good clean or dirty at condo volumes, gets way louder than I need it to, very easy to find the right volume. For me, it’s the perfect amp these days. YMMV...

17. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I'd go with the Blues Cube if you don't need an effects loop. I prefer dirt from my amp, and there's not a usable dirt sound on that channel on the Peavey Classic IMO.

18. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

There's no way I would have ever gotten rid of my DRRI for a Peavey C30..let alone for that slight weight loss..hey whatever floats the OP's boat.. To these eyes I just find the Tweed Blues Jr. a nicer old school look..some prefer the Peavey.okay..good, and I have zero issues dialing in my LTD(Lacquered Tweed) Blues Jr. or any of my amps..but weight wise..

19. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I had the Blues cube hot and the Blues cube Artist. My Roland 80gx beat both. The Hot could not keep up even as a monitor for an outdoor gig. I could not find a good sweet spot with the Artist, but it was loud enough, but never clean enough. I have used the Fender Blues jr tweed for club gigs and it more that sufficed with clean and pedals. The Pro jr 4 tweed is a monster of an amp and every bit as good as the Blues jr. tweed,(after the speaker breaks in). I would choose the 19lbs Pro jr 4 overall.

20. beachbreak

beachbreak TDPRI Member

I like the BJ over the Roland in the head to head video.

In the 12 amp video the ENGL, Koch and 3 Monkees are great!

The Dr Z disappointed me, which is surprising.

The Orange sounded good too, does it have tubes?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.