Blues Jr Tweed vs Peavey Classic 30 vs Roland Blues Cube

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pagedr, Jul 10, 2019.

1. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Hi all, I'm looking for a new amp that I can play at home with my Teles but also is easy to lug around and can be used for gigs. I just got rid of my DRRI, which was great, but I was unable to really play it much in my apartment and it was an absolute pain to travel with.

So after playing a bunch of amps in my local stores I've landed on the three mentioned in the thread title - Blues Jr Tweed (liked it a bit better than the III), Peavey C30, and Roland Blues Cube Hot. I've played all three a couple times now and have listened to a bunch of YouTube reviews but am doing a poor job of just deciding on one. So I'd love to hear from current owners of any of the three (or better yet anyone who's owned multiple!) to get some firsthand opinions.

Just a general note, I usually play my guitars somewhat clean or with some crunch. Rarely find myself using a ton of gain but do like to have the option. I also don't care much for pedals as I really favor simplicity, so prefer to just plug directly into the amp. Thanks in advance!

rangercaster and DaphneBlue like this.
  2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

If you want the option of using a ton of gain when you need it ... without pedals? That eliminates the Blues Jr. You'll have to decide if the Peavey is capable of a ton of gain without pedals ... I don't think it is, but I guess it's debatable. May be stuck with the Roland.

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I've got a Blues Jr that was great mostly because it was my first tube amp. But not sure if you are going to like it at low volumes.

Going from a DRRI to any of these three is going to feel like trading your two-story Colonial for a double-wide. But I think the BJ Tweed probably has more gravitas than Peavey anything. Not sure about the Roland, they seem to have a good name.

I'm curious why you didn't go from a DRRI to a PRRI? That seems like a tube amp to be proud of.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

That's fair. My definition of "a ton of gain" is also probably a bit more mild than others. I do like the Blues Jr a lot so maybe it'd be worth just sucking it up and using a pedal if the urge to use gain ever strikes. Wouldn't be the end of the world I suppose.

5. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Yeah I'm definitely expecting a bit of a downgrade. But it just wasn't worth it to have that great amp sitting around unplayable without pissing off the surrounding apartments. Not to mention its weight...

I do like the PRRI's a lot but was hoping to stay around the $500-$550 range and haven't seen any Princeton's lower than $750ish used.

6. robtking

robtking TDPRI Member

I've been using a Blues Jr with a Cannabis Rex speaker in it and I really like it. If you need more gain you can always put a pedal in front.

studio1087 and Marc Morfei like this.
  7. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

To only play in your apt and no pedals, I’d choose the Blues Cube, probably the most versatile in that situation. If I were gigging, I’d choose either of the other 2.

King Fan, MusicCityGrooves and jrblue like this.
  8. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Like i just posted elsewhere, last gig i got a lot of compliments on the clean tone of my Tele through a C30.
    Overdrive, im not so sure. Neither the amps O/D channel or a Boss OD in the clean sound as good as my Blackstar.
    Acceptable, but not quite what i'm looking for.
    Oh, and it's mighty loud for home use. Easy to carry though.

9. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Yeah this is what's driving a lot of my inability to choose one, as I'd love to have the Roland along with one of the other two. And as much as I tell myself I have a strict budget and that I don't need TWO amps, well, we all know how those internal monologues can go...

10. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Thanks for this, haven't heard from many people who own the Peavey. I'm definitely looking for something that sounds great clean, not as concerned if it has the greatest O/D around as long as it can get there.

11. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I had a Blues Jr and now I have a C30 which I love. The poster who said the Jr at low volumes is iffy was right imo. The amp is a little boxy sounding and likes to be pushed. I actually bought mine as a practice amp and that was a mistake. I sold it to a local blues guy who puts it up on a chair at gigs and cranks it, going off his guitar's volume knob. It sounds pretty good in that scenario.

My C30, compared to the Jr is a very full sounding amp, not boxy. Mine is the newer C30 II. It too likes to be turned up but the gain channel is decent at bedroom levels. One you get the master around four it really shines (not really wall shaking loud) The clean channel is very comparable to the Jr, forward mids but with more low end. Not surprising because it's 30 watts running 4 el84 tubes. Not really a fair fight. Takes pedal really well. Never ran a pedal through the Jr.

Never had a Blues Cube but my buddy did and he recently got rid of it and went back to a tube amp. I know they have a huge following though...

My vote is for a newer C30 II. I've seen USA made ones still around NOS with the Blue Marvel speaker which is a good fit.

You said you played the C30 so some of what I'm saying might ring a bell. Good luck.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Just get a preamp. I use one and can get crazy distortion that sounds better than pedals because it's all tube.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  13. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I've gigged my C30 in Blues and Country bands, for about five years. My buddy's Blues Junior keeps up pretty well, in smaller rooms and is much more portable. The C30 is pretty similar in size and weight, to your DRRI, surely?

I much prefer the C30, as a working amp- even though I find the hot channel a bit harsh sounding. The clean channel is pretty sweet, at any volume and I find it easy to transport and dial in.

I've gigged a tiny Cube 15, in the past- but I have limited experience of the Blues Cube Hot, in a live mix. Sounds pretty decent in my neighbour's sitting room, though.....

In your situation it's all about compromises. The C30 is a Real Deal gigging amp and the Fender is close behind, in the right situations- even more so, if you can mic it through the PA. The smaller footprint, in your home, or the low volume versatility of the Roland, may be decisive, for you.

Fun problems to solve. Hope you have a happy outcome. :)

14. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Thanks, very helpful info. I think I've been subconsciously keeping the Blues Jr in the running because of the Fender name and having had the DRRI previously. But the more I think about the tone when I played it, and reading the same comments over and over around the internet, it was quite boxy at lower volumes and just isn't as dynamic as I'm looking for.

15. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Yeah the Peavey is definitely on the bigger side. Not nearly as wide as the DRRI and felt a good 5ish pounds or so lighter when I picked one up at the store but yeah, a little larger than what I'd hoped for. It does sound great though! As you mentioned I'll probably have to make a concession, especially as I'm starting to hone in on the Peavey and the Roland. The Peavey is bigger than I want, while the Roland is a solid state (though it does sound very tube like) and I'm very used to playing tubes.

16. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Of the 3, the Peavey, IMO, is the best amp for cleans, no contest. That's sport of Peavey's "thing." Though you say you don't want to use pedals, my whole approach is to run a clean amp and generate other tones with pedals. Something as ordinary as a Tube Screamer, dialed down, will give you a wonderful lead tone if you just want a little more drive for solos, etc. I much prefer a Pro Junior to the ubiquitous and character-less Blues Junior, which I think of as a decent amp if you want some amp-generated grit... which I do not. My modded Pro Junior sounds worlds better.

17. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I like all of them but if I could only have one it would be the Classic 30 with a C.Rex..

The BJ tend to get noisy with a Tele (YMMV on that ) and sound a bit anemic (JMHO) and you cant use the internal speaker with an extension cab.
    While I like the Blues Cube with humbuckers and P90's I don't think a Tele is a good match (JMHO)

Pound for pound the C 30 is my choice. Currently I use it more than any of my other amps ... it is light and sounds really good with the right speaker and extension cab.

What you have here are three different animals .... C30 is probably your best bet.

18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

If you want something that you can play at home and lug around, then the Roland Blues Cube Hot is a logical choice; it's a tidy, manageable, and reliable package, that sounds pretty dang good, IMHO.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m a Roland/Boss Cube devotee.
    I have think they sound great, are reasonably priced, and are largely maintenance free.
    Easy choice l, for me.

Treynor likes this.
  20. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm very happy with my older C30. When I got it used had EH and Sovtek preamp tubes. I use old RCA 12Ax7s in V1 and V3, Sylvania sound good in there too. Noticeably better. I still have the Blue Marvel in there too although I'm finally going to swapping in a Legend GB12

The clean channel is good and the distortion is OK, got better with the pre-amp tubes I'm using. As for dirt, it gets plenty dirty, up to hard rock level IMO.

For strictly home use, I'd strongly consider sold state purely for convenience. I leave my C30 where my band rehearses and take it to gigs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.