1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Jr Tweed v3 observation

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by shawnoh4, Oct 16, 2020.

1. shawnoh4

shawnoh4 TDPRI Member

I have a Blues Jr Tweed v3 which I have hardly played. Today I spent a few minutes with it and got some decent fuzzy blues sound out of it. You have to turn all three tone controls up to 8-10, the regular volume to 10, the fat on, and then adjust the master volume. Just letting you know, it sounds much hotter (yeah it hums, but if you are playing you'd never hear it.) I believe what you will hear is the proper and best tone this amp is capable of. Used a Strat, forgive me, lol.

Sounds so much better this way like a real amp. Honestly I'm not much impressed with the regular clean tones from it, and think it was intended to be run all out. It has a great punch when used as noted above. To my ears it sounds somewhat like what a great vintage tube amp should sound like, but it's own thing. Really enjoy it.

The reverb unfortunately sounds way too springy above 3. I may have to move some tubes around, like put the reverb tube into V1 or something. I haven't tried any tube swapping at all on it, I'm sure that would change it up a bit. But I'm more than satisfied with the hot tone.

Have a good one, and if you haven't run it all out, you're going to love it.

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Interesting. I always liked the tone stack turned down to the 2-4 range. To each his own.

3. shawnoh4

shawnoh4 TDPRI Member

have you tried the full up (of course?) Do you have the stock v3 tweed? I got the amp think the cleans would be good, but i'm like duh, the amp is named Blues Jr. It was made for cranking blues. All I can say is that when you put all three tone controls and the gain at about 10, you get a super punchy gritty blues tone. It changed my mind about the amp, I was thinking it was junk, lol. I was a silverface twin cleans guy, but always wished I could get the dirt out of it, the push pull was sort of anemic. I didn't tube swap on it back in the day. Anyway, I have a newly found respect for the blues jr. A sidenote, when you crank those tone controls and volume, the Fat switch has a greatly reduced impact on the tone. You can still hear a difference, but it's way less difference compared to when the tones are more traditional. Thanks for the tip BTW, I will also try the tones at reduced levels. If it sounds like **** i'm gonna get ya!

4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I don't own the amp anymore. I tried a number of speakers, landing on an ET65. I also did several of the Bill M mods, which made a significant improvement. Again, to each his own!

5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Isn't the reverb solid state on those?
    My BJ V2 is.... or I should say was...
    I modded mine to have tube driven reverb...:)

6. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

"I was thinking it was junk, lol."

Got that right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.