Blues Jr. Tweed: pain in the ear.

RLee77

Friend of Leo's
You could get an equalizer pedal; those are pretty nice for tuning your tone just so. Boss, Mxr, many others. Not that expensive. Mxr makes two; a 6 and a 10 band. Lots of others to choose from; some low cost, some not.

gobi_grey

Tele-Afflicted
I've been running the bass full throttle, mids around 7 and treble under 3.
The offending frequencies are really high. I used to work in a scrap yard and once in a while an earplug would fall out. The piercing sound of a big stainless plate or pipe thrown into an end loader bucket is about what it sounds like. Instant muffled ringing ears!

My 5e3 clone arrived today. It too has the ice picks but the speaker needs more time on it. Overall it sounds better than the BJ. Louder and more giggable with nice headroom for a 5e3. I was told it puts out 18 watts. I still like the master volume and reverb on the BJ so I might keep it for practice and jams.
I'll look into an equalizer pedal. Maybe I could roll off the highest frequencies more accurately than with the tone knob on my guitar.

mamm7215

TDPRI Member
Put a duct tape X over the grill cloth centered on the center of the speaker

Or get a WGS G12C/S.

If you are looking for a speaker with a classic American vibe, but need a smoother more soulful top end, look no further than the WGS G12C/S. This is based on our popular G12C, but with a smooth cone, felt dust cap and just the right amount of edge treatment. This speaker works great in amps where you are going for that big American clean but just need it a little softer up top. Destined to be another WGS classic!
I just replaced a G12C with a G12C/s in my 5e3. If you're having shrill high issues, get the c/s. You will have NO more icepick problems. I get that WGS bases it off the G12C but they're not remotely alike...

gobi_grey

Tele-Afflicted
mamm7215, I've been curious about the g12c/s. I like the idea behind it and it looks REALLY cool. I think I read and watched every review/demo I could find. I might try it out at some point. I'm worried it's too dark/muffled though. I like bright but not split your ears bright. My Blues Jr seemed to melow out as the speaker broke in. I bought it used so I figured that wasn't the problem but that must have been it. Or maybe I lost that part of my hearing! Either way it's tolerable. Still a tad harsh but not enough to justify any mods. I don't have an amp in need of a speaker change at the moment but thd c/s is on the list of things to try someday. I'd like to hear it in your 5e3.

gobi_grey

Tele-Afflicted
Probably right about the silk purse but I wasn't looking to make it that. Maybe a leather poke? Just wanted it to sound decent which it does now. I don't always want to take a silk purse out and get it dirty you know. Great amp for throwing in the car/practice/jams and whatnot.

RLee77

Friend of Leo's
Blues Jr's can sound amazing when setup and adjusted right. But it's admittedly not a "one size fits all" amp.

Ash Telecaster

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have the Blues jr tweed NOS. It is a beautiful looking amp. Ive had mine for a few years now. Its a great size and weight for a grab and go. Ive never really bonded with the tone though. Ill probably be selling or trading mine sometime soon. There are the Bill M mods. Those might be worth trying.

Last edited:

blackharpfisher

NEW MEMBER!
The only cure I've found is to sell it.

I tried to make that and a Pro Junior to work, but too much boxy midrange & sounded cheap. A champion 20 sounded better to me.

Ended up with a stock Twin Reverb. My God, that's a real amp. Richness. Depth. Warmth. Not as loud as people claim at reasonable levels. Enveloping. Beautiful. Pedals sound great. Layers of texture. I don't regret it at all. It's pretty ****!ng heavy, though.

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
The only cure I've found is to sell it.

I tried to make that and a Pro Junior to work, but too much boxy midrange & sounded cheap. A champion 20 sounded better to me.

Ended up with a stock Twin Reverb. My God, that's a real amp. Richness. Depth. Warmth. Not as loud as people claim at reasonable levels. Enveloping. Beautiful. Pedals sound great. Layers of texture. I don't regret it at all. It's pretty ****!ng heavy, though.
Now that you have an amp that you like, forget all about the Blooze series of amps. They are cheap noisemakers that are unreliable and will never sound right. It's just not there. Been there, done that, too many times, and I'm cured.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
The Beam Blocker is a good idea even with a better speaker. It's not going to change your tone, but it will greatly reduce the unequal distribution of sound ("beaming" to one spot). I have one in my Pro Junior (which I prefer top the BJ by far) and like it. I don't know about the BJ circuit, but the PJ has a kind of "bright cap" that you can easily snip out (disclaimer: if you know your business and know how to not get shocked) which results in a vastly better tone balance unless your goal is to rip someone's head off. Also, and this is important, in that series of amps particularly you need to be ready to use the whole range of the pots. Ignore the numbers -- the actual effect of the controls is not regular and does not happen in equal steps! On the PJ, the most important range of volumes -- going from a whisper to a shout -- happens between 1 and 2 on my volume dial. By 5-6, the amp is shrieking full out, and the sound doesn't get louder after that as much as it gets pure ugly and brittle and hyper-bright. But working within the useful range of the pots, I get phenomenal tones. My PJ, which I bought new when they just came out, so it's MIA and pretty well done, came with s Fender/Eminence (?) speaker that sounded OK but failed within a year even though it was rarely pushed. I found that replacements made a really big difference. I don't know what sound and response will work best for you. After trying several, a Weber Alnico is my go-to. As others point out, break-in is really important in these amps, and the Weber went from brittle and harsh to wonderfully smooth and fluid. Speaker choice is like an extra tone control in these cheap but great amps.